Author Topic: Talk to me about the Midwest  (Read 12986 times)

MVal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Talk to me about the Midwest
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »
The Midwest is more than just flyover territory. I've lived my whole life in MO and love it. The cost of living is a huge plus and honestly, I don't think we felt the recession of the last decade as hard as other parts of the country...we seem to be somewhat insulated from extremes in the economic climate. The only thing that swings between extremes is the weather, so as long as you don't mind blistering hot and humid summers and cold winters, you're good.

It has been about 8 years since I was last in MO on a business trip, do they still allow smoking in all the restaurants?  After arriving at the airport and driving to the hotel, all seemed well until I go to the restaurant right next to the hotel and the hostess asks me "smoking or non-smoking".  Even in the non-smoking section you feel like you are sitting in an ash tray and all your food tastes like crap from the cigarettes.

Which city, KC or St. Louis? I can only speak for Kansas City where smoking in restaurants has been eliminated for several years. It's really down to each municipality, so you may find some towns that still allow it, but I think generally indoor smoking is a thing of the past.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2017, 12:08:49 AM »
CheapScholar, thanks for being super helpful as we contemplated the South Bend move. My husband's new boss in Indiana quit last week, and we were super worried about the instability this would cause since it was just the two of them in that department. So he took the Portland job. Sounds like it'll be a much better fit for us culturally at the very least.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »
CheapScholar, thanks for being super helpful as we contemplated the South Bend move. My husband's new boss in Indiana quit last week, and we were super worried about the instability this would cause since it was just the two of them in that department. So he took the Portland job. Sounds like it'll be a much better fit for us culturally at the very least.

I'm happy for you!  Portland is on my short list of places to possibly move someday - maybe I'll need advice from you in the future!

Safe travels! 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »

That would make me super nervous too!  Enjoy Portland :)

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
Whoo hooo!    Another good reason to visit Portland.  And you will get to hang out with all the cool kids.....

Haha, that's exactly why I didn't fit in before :)

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2017, 03:47:36 PM »
I grew up in northwest Indiana, I spent 20 years there.

The cost of living is great,
Especially housing and food is cheap.

Taxes are not bad.

Beaches! Indiana dunes is not bad. I went there every summer in July and August growing up. There are however better beaches in Michigan, less than an hour north of you. As of 10 years ago, Grand Haven and South Haven were very nice.

There is a big classic car scene if you are into that. Indiana has a lot of auto factories and auto component manufacturers.

The people are mostly very nice, and even the ones that are not nice are genuine.
The pace is slower than the east coast. traffic is not bad in most places.

The people do lean conservative, but not like they south, they are more libertarian than conservative. If you did ok in Alaska you will do ok there.

Hunting is big, bit deer is about all people hunt for. Fishing in Lake Michigan is ok, lake perch and catfish mostly. catfish and trout in all the rivers.

The is an ice skating rink in Elkheart we love, you aren't too far from that.

There are hikes, believe it or not in Indiana. Yes its nothing like you are used to, but if you go to southern Indiana in the fall, (try late october) and go to McCormick's Creek or Turkey Run State park you can do a great budget vacation, especially if you camp.  There are miles of hikes through hardwood forests (mostly oaks, sugar males, elm, ash, and hickory. and canyons and even a few caves to explore.