Author Topic: Talk me out of buying an Airfryer  (Read 3053 times)

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
Talk me out of buying an Airfryer
« on: August 18, 2016, 06:43:40 AM »
The air fryer:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Airfryer-Technology-HD9240-94/dp/B00TR78QUI

It is supposed to be like a fryer that uses air instead of oil. Actually it seems more like an electric oven that is faster somehow. The people I know that have one are very happy with it, but they are not the sort of people to think of cheaper alternatives. The only thing they told me was to get the big one, as the smaller ones cook only a single portion at a time.

So my question is, does any of you have something like this, and is it worth it. Or would my normal oven be more or less the same. Or is there another product that does this better or for less money.

TheStachery

Re: Talk me out of buying an Airfryer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 06:49:19 AM »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 12:58:32 PM »
After reading about it on Amazon, it just looks like a big expensive gadget that will take up too much counter space...plus the learning curve, and the fact that it is best for pre-frozen, pre-prepared foods (MMM folks tend to cook whole foods from scratch...or else it makes a big mess if cooking fresh foods...why, just why?

I don't own one, but I wouldn't want one.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 01:08:58 PM »
It kinda seems like a gadget designed to make people feel better about eating fried foods.  Eating fried food is not a part of a healthy diet.  Don't think that a machine will magically change that.

TrMama

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
My DH bought a similar gadget several years ago. These things are essentially countertop convection ovens. They do not produce fried food, they produce baked food.

We use it regularly to make fries (from regular potatoes, not frozen crap) and occasionally for chicken wings (also bought as plain wings that we dump sauce on). In the summer I like that I can cook with it and not heat up the entire house with the regular oven.

I was annoyed with him for spending the money, but we do use it. Note that we also have a ridiculously huge kitchen, so storage isn't an issue. We also both work and have 2 kids, so anything that streamlines meal prep is handy.

A toaster oven is a cheaper alternative.

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »
So being the consumer sucka I tend to be I actually just bought one about 3 weeks ago.  I was totally not impressed.  I made battered shrimp and fried green tomatoes, both of which would have turned out better with a small amount of oil in my cast iron skillet.  Actually I was sort of thrilled to not like it as I promptly returned it!  I say you can skip this without regret. 

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »
We got one for free and it's all right (makes decent enough sweet potato fries), but we don't use it enough to be worth the counter space.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
Let's face it:  That's not frying.  That's blowing (hot air).  The food will not taste the same as deep fried.

Cheaper alternatives:  Broil, "over fry" with some olive oil, "saute" with olive oil.

$350 to blow food, you must be kidding me!!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »
LOL,

I bought this a couple of months ago, for $1.99 at the thrift store, and I have been very, very happy with it.

Yep!  uses a lot of oil.
Yep!  only use it once a month.

Makes amazing fried food.  :-)  Which is the point.
Bonus -- amazing to use when blanching vegetables for preserving in the freezer -- SO FAST to scoop them out.

https://www.amazon.ca/Excellante-8-Inch-Fry-Basket-Small/dp/B001PZ7EF8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1471556398&sr=8-6&keywords=deep+fryer+basket

Instead of an airfryer... do you have an electic grill?  We use that thing all the time (kinda like a george foreman grill)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!