Author Topic: Talk me in or out of a new car purchase Prius  (Read 3040 times)

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
Talk me in or out of a new car purchase Prius
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:25:32 AM »
So background. Family of 4 about to become family of 5 in about 6 months.  Due to US regulations on car seats my 2-door Grand am is in capable of holding the current children's seats, with the rear facing infant carrier seat. 

I did several weeks of research really trying to sell myself on the Honda civic or accord hybrids and Toyota Prius (specifically the 2-Eco 2016-2017 model) basically beat everything else out.

We went to the local Toyota dealer last weekend and tested all car seats with two children and the infant's stroller in the trunk and it fit great!  This car would mostly be used to take me to work and the oldest child to school. For long trips or a normal car outing that needs all 5 of us in the car we have a Van.  This car simply needs to fit all the children in case the van is busy for some reason. 

Due to Toyota's holding their value so strongly and the prius only starting with 3 year bumper to bumper, I have been searching the internet for NEW 2016s to get the full warranty.  I found a dealership that has in writing told me their 1 2016 they could come down to 20,551 out the door after tax, title and fees.  If I am interested in a NEW 2017 they have made an offer to me of $21,900.

MSRP for the 2-Eco is roughly $25,000-$26,000.

My goal is to use this car for 15 years, with a hope that I can keep it running safely for 20 total.
Opinions? Face punches? Thoughts?

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
Re: Talk me in or out of a new car purchase Prius
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:08:17 AM »
Why are you looking at a new car and not used? Will the car seats only fit in the '16/'17 model? Especially since as you say, you will use this mostly for work and transporting your oldest.

For reference, I have an 06 Prius that I've had for about 3 years now. It will go for at least another 10 with nothing more than tires, oil, and filters and perhaps a 12V battery change halfway.

By buying used, you should save at least $5K, but up to $10K, depending on the year you buy. I would recommend doing some more research. Good luck.

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »
Why are you looking at a new car and not used?

The OP directly states why in his post...
Due to Toyota's holding their value so strongly and the prius only starting with 3 year bumper to bumper, I have been searching the internet for NEW 2016s to get the full warranty.
My goal is to use this car for 15 years, with a hope that I can keep it running safely for 20 total. 

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
Well, my C-Max Energi fits 3 car seats fine...and I got it used for $12,600. So you can definitely save some money by looking outside Honda/Toyota used. And if you can plug in a used PHEV at home, your fuel costs will be lower even than with a Prius.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
Due to Toyota's holding their value so strongly and the prius only starting with 3 year bumper to bumper, I have been searching the internet for NEW 2016s to get the full warranty.

I would argue that the fact that Toyota's hold their value strongly is the reason why you shouldn't be focusing on warranties.  Seems like you're inventing a silly reason (warranty) to give yourself an excuse to buy a fancy new car.

There is nothing magical about using the same car for 15 years.  That seems a silly way to justify what might be a suspect financial decision.  What if I told you that you could use 3 very cheap used cars over the next 15 years and save a ton of money?

Those are good points.  I especially like what you mention about not being focused on the warranty since they are such high quality cars.  The reason I have been focused on 2016 and 2017 was the model update that occurred. They changed the body and added more safety features, but at the Two and two-eco trims you avoid a bunch of the bells and whistles. 

Part of my attraction to the Hybrid over a cheaper car is partially because of discovering MMM and seeing a hybrid purchase a means to promote the alternative fuels industry while realistically still being able to drive across the country if I need to without searching for charging stations.  If the kids were not an issue I would probably continue driving my 2001 Grand am (Great Uncle bought new, my mom inherited, I've had it personally since 2009) for at least 5 more years before getting maybe a Volt or something else similar but low cost.

While I was originally not attempting to chase the warranty the used 2016s I found online were at the most $2000 less than the New 2016s that are still on some lots. My thought was 2016 version launched in Sept 2015 so for around 2k more I get 3 years of warranty over 1.5.  But I agree with your statement that with Toyota's reliability perhaps that fact is not worth even 2k.

Concerning miles. I'm not sure. 2-3 years ago I drove so little I filled up my 12 gallon Grand am tank once a month.  In the last six months we've moved and I'm still adjusting to my new drive, but a rough estimate would be around 16 thousand miles is my estimate.

@shoulder I did a lot of research mostly into the Hybrid scene concerning safety, maintenance, repairs, and cost and Toyota won out.  I was sold on the Honda Accord Hybrid for a long time.  I looked into the plug ins and I had a hard time finding ones with good seating the battery placement seemed to take up the leg room on the middle back seat.  Did I miss a good model?

I really appreciate the commentary. Just for full disclosure. I've never personally bought a car before but I watched my dad buy a new car every year or two for years.

My 2005 starter car was a 1992 Grand am 2 door, lemon, bought by my dad.
In 2006 I got my dad's friends 4 door 1998 Grand am.
In 2007 I got a chevy Venture van 1998 (leaked gas and oil). My dad bought this.
In 2009 I was gifted my 2001 Grand am from my mother after starting a really career job.

I have no problem hunting for used, I just didn't see a significant price drop in the model I was looking at. Maybe I need to go back to comparing 2015s.  I know in 2015 the EPA changed how they test MPG ratings so 2014s had scores that were higher than they should under the new test.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:02:41 PM »
Not quoting because I'm on my phone, but yes, the C-Max Energi has excellent rear legroom, certainly as good as the Priuses I've experienced. Same rear legroom as the hybrid C-Max.

Cargo area is a little shortened due to the battery, but it's still a hatchback and absolutely fine. Our twin stroller fits in it.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I took it all to heart and stopped searching for 2017s and 2016s.  Now I'm sure this is face punch worthy, but after almost two weeks of hunting and pricing 2015s and 2014s I found a 2015 5 trim level that was lower mileage than any of the ones I'd seen in that year model yet.

25,000 miles. Technically still in warranty, even though thanks to this thread I stopped looking specifically for a warranty.  I paid within my price range, but a little more than I had hoped.

$20,003 after everything.

Unfortunately I arrived at the dealership right before closing so I was told I had to finance all of it because without my checkbook they could not debit anything on a card. W/e.  3.39% interest but if I pay it off in 90 days the dealership gets zero cut of the financing. Since I was planning on paying over half of it immediately I might do that.

Anyway thanks for the help guys at minimum I saved $2k from what I was looking at.  Also all the other prius' I was finding were in the 45-50k miles range or they were on the other side of the country from me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!