Author Topic: Talk me down or tell me to jump?  (Read 3760 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
Talk me down or tell me to jump?
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
Background: When we moved our phones to prepaid I padded the blow for my wife by getting her a used iPhone 4 to use with it - which paid for itself in two months. My older Mytouch4g is on its last legs, barely picking up calls and texts. I'm a pretty techie type, but have been trying to get away from being in my screen all the time. My biggest requirement for a phone, other than calling/texting, is grabbing last second pics of the kiddos in action but I have been known to sort through emails and read this forum too.

Question: I'm considering two wildly different options: 1) Sell the MyTouch4g while it still has juice and pick up a Google Nexus 4, or something similar that is fast and has a decent integrated high megapixel camera for around $300-350. (honestly, I'm leaning toward this which is why I'm interested in your thoughts.) 2) Give up on using a cell phone for a camera, sell the Mytouch4g and buy a durable flip phone for about $50 and figure out something else on the camera front.

Ultimately, I get that this is my choice, but curious what the mustachians have to say.- and I have noted that many of us appear to enjoy high quality smart phones. (Our only debt is our mortgage and my wife's student loans)

Thoughts?

-onemorebike

Richard3

• Bristles
Re: Talk me down or tell me to jump?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
Are you really going to carry a flip phone AND a camera around with you?

Crash87

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »
I would figure out the cost of both options, then decide if you'd rather have the money or the phone with the camera.

girly mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:23:33 PM »
I vote for phone with camera -- only because I think it's invaluable for the kid pictures... I have more great photos of my kid and things we've done just because the phone is always with me...

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »
"barely picking up calls and texts" sounds like a software problem - have you done a factory reset? I bet your hardware is fine.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »
You will almost always have your phone on you, you will not carry your camera with you all the time. If you value 'any-moment' photos, get a half decent camera phone. The good news you don't need to get a brand new Nexus 4 to get a good camera. I use a Sony Experia Arc (android 2.3, so kinda old now) and it takes very good 8mp images, I make 5x7 prints from it.

Remember that megapixels is a fairly useless number for judging cameras (all of them, phone, point and shoot, or pro DSLR). Find a phone that takes good pictures (iPhone 4S, Galaxy S3, Xperia Arc, plenty of others). Don't worry about ti being latest and greatest.

Wiggle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
"barely picking up calls and texts" sounds like a software problem - have you done a factory reset? I bet your hardware is fine.

Yeah hardware generally doesn't "kinda fail", I'd try a re-format first.