Author Topic: Need a book recommendation: Fast Healthy Foods  (Read 2307 times)

ditheca

• Bristles
Need a book recommendation: Fast Healthy Foods
« on: April 19, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
Are there any good books about quick ways to eat healthy? 

Since I'm lazy and DW has a chronic illness, we rarely eat anything that takes more than ten minutes of preparation.  (Long cook times are no problem). 

We'd like to start eating healthy, if it can be done simply.  I've heard good things about about meal prep days and freezing homemade foods, but we've never been able to force ourselves to spend that much time in the kitchen.

Where do we start?

Thanks!

MarioMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Need a book recommendation: Fast Healthy Foods
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:57:50 AM »
Stir fry is easy, quick and healthy.  For our "sauce" we use soy sauce and half an orange.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:59:46 AM »
Following in the hopes for some good suggestions. While I am generally happy with my savings/budget, I eat like crap and my "delivery/takeout" line item in my budget makes me cringe.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »
I don't "meal" prep, but I do cook a majority of my protein for the week on Sundays.  A normal Sunday I will cook 6 chicken breasts, 12 chicken thighs, 2-3 lbs of ground meat or a roast. If I'm in the mood for potatoes I will usually oven roast a bunch of potatoes as well.  The chicken is all cooked in the oven so minimal involvement other than seasoning.

For most meals it's the meat that takes a majority of cook time.  With the meat prepared I usually throw lunches and dinners together in <10 minutes.

Lunches are usually a salad with chicken, lettuce, and whatever other vegetables I have around.

Dinners I keep simple.  Usually a stir fry or some sort soup with the chicken.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »
Have you considered getting an instant pot? I find it is rarely more than 10-15 minutes of prep, and the hands off time after that is pretty easy. Quick clean up, etc.