Author Topic: taking off the studded tires  (Read 4409 times)

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
taking off the studded tires
« on: March 06, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
Any regular riders ready to take their studded tires off? The forecast says 60s F for next week!

I only have one bike and with accessories that makes it hard to swap tires often so when they're off, they're off for the year. Just wondering if I'm jumping the gun? Granted, I did cycle through November and December quite comfortably with my normal tires.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
Re: taking off the studded tires
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
Okay, so I didn't get them off this weekend. But they're coming off today!

I'm so excited for spring!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:23:17 AM »
I don't have studded tires on my bike, but with the highs getting to the upper 30's today, I'm back on my bike for work.  Woohoo!

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »
I live in New England and have learned not to trust the weather, so I am keeping them on for a few more weeks probably. There are still random icey/snowy patches on the roads any way. I might bring them back up to a higher pressure though.

I'm also going to have to replace some parts of the drive train that winter ate, but I think I can put that off until the salt is gone.

What accessories make it hard to swap tires?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:48:56 AM by vhalros »

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »
Yeah, I saw some random icy patches this morning, too. I'm just going to choose to ignore them (or actually just ride carefully).

In my head the problem with swapping them is mostly the full chain case. But I also have a dyno hub, internal gear hub, and full fenders and I've never actually tried to swap the tires on this bike - I take it to the bike shop. I know I'm paying $10 for something I could clearly do myself but for some reason I just can't bring myself to try.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »
If its only $10 that is not too bad. If it were me, a bigger concern would be that I would eventually get a flat, and replacing the tire is basically the same procedure as fixing one; I'd want to have tried it before I am stuck some where.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »
To repair a flat you don't actually have to take the tire off - just deflate it and kind of pull the tube out from between the rim and the tire. Patch it and then replace. The real hassle is when you need to replace the rear tube. But its all a moot point for me because I walk my bike to the bike shop for a flat, too. Man, after typing that maybe I should just remove myself from this forum. I justify it because I have a bike instead of a car, but that's really not the point.   

MidwestBiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »
I've typically kept the studs on until about the end of March. But maybe I'll swap them out this week. The roads are clear and dry. A few ice patches this morning, but it's 50 degrees out right now. Felt great to leave the boots at home and shed a couple layers today.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
I don't use studded tires, they're too slow for the distance I need to commute.  That said, I'd wait until the average night time temperature is above zero.  Spring and fall are the iciest times around here due to warm days and cold nights, that makes a lot of the ice that you need studded tires for.

MidwestBiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »
Yup. Lots of snow-melt running across the roads and paths. I see people ride in all conditions without studs, and it's pretty awesome. But, for me, they make winter biking possible. Which is also awesome.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »
Way too much ice that freezes overnight still. Maybe a week or two more here if the warmth keeps up,  but weather this time of year can be crazy.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »
Pfffft. Topping 70 degrees here tomorrow. But morning sun is apparently frowned upon in this establishment. So I do have to ride to work in the dark again for a while. We all have our gripes. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!