Author Topic: Taking back social media from the social marketers  (Read 3759 times)

cranilation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Taking back social media from the social marketers
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
I like to journal.  That's my main hobby.

But I get so distracted by all the detritus of journaling - pens (oh, so many cool $60 pens), notebooks ($$$), charms, notebook holders, bags to hold all of the above, etc.  I am a member of a few facebook groups: Midori Traveler Notebooks Resources Group, Field Nuts, Erasable Podcast (a group that talks about $10+ pencils).  Same on instagram. Every time I log on, I see things I want to buy.

I want to change this.  I'm not sure what to do, though.  I start by unsubscribing from those three groups - oh god this is painful... ok, done. Now, I need something else to replace it with.

What do you suggest?  What facebook groups or instagram accounts/hashtags do you like to spend time on that are interesting, enjoyable, and make you feel good about your life?

fdubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Taking back social media from the social marketers
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:48:27 AM »
This may be weird, but I have found that Pinterest has REALLY cut down on my desire to own things.  If I see a cute t-shirt, I pin it.  Awesome Andrew Wyeth painting?  Pinned.  Maybe having a Journaling board or a pen board with all the cool pens pinned to it would allow you to enjoy the pens without having to own them.  Same with cute notebooks, etc. 

I also have boards on Pinterest that embody my retirement goals (Dream Camp on Lake Champlain, Gulf Coast Cottage, etc.).  Pinning to these boards keeps me engaged and focused on my goals, which also cuts down on my desire to buy anything. 

As far as Instagram, I like following National Geographic and their specific photographers.  Travel focused accounts are fun.  I follow some food network chefs, pug and corgi accounts, food bloggers, too.  I also look for people living in places I enjoy like Vermont and New Orleans.  Helps you feel connected to places you like even when far away. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »
This may not be the response you're looking for. But I don't spend any time on any of those things. I have an FB account because I opened it when it was just a school thing back in grad school. But I never use it. I don't have Instagram or Twitter. I don't have time for that stuff. And it's too distracting. My one vice is this forum--but I learn stuff here and can help others learn in return. Even so I'm too distracted by it.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:17:01 AM »
Your life was better before facebook/twitter/instagram etc.  And you can have that life back anytime you want it.  It's as easy to cut all of it out as it is to turn off the cable tv.

expectopatronum

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:29:39 PM »
What do you suggest?  What facebook groups or instagram accounts/hashtags do you like to spend time on that are interesting, enjoyable, and make you feel good about your life?

There weren't any facebook groups that made me feel good about my life, so I ditched it after it outlived its college utility. I prefer to keep Twitter in order to occasionally tweet customer service of a place, not to follow friends, and I'm not active on Instagram at all. (Why do I need a picture of my friend in Napa Valley for "work" when I'd prefer to here it from her personally or not at all? Why do I care about what you're having for dinner or your new workout outfit?)

If you are struggling being tempted to purchase things, hide them from your feed if you can't leave the social network. I think this is really normal - constantly seeing what else is out there is like window shopping, and you're likely to spend more on things you didn't know you needed. My personal experience is that social networks largely make us feel dissatisfied with what we don't have because there's an endless flood of MORE. Sure, maybe the girl who doesn't have a job and just spent 3 weeks in Fiji is broke and you're not, but there's a twinge of irrational jealousy. The windows into people's lives were nothing but bad for me. I get all the updates I need from my friends directly now.

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 01:50:57 PM »
My favorite hobby is embroidery, and so I belong to a Facebook group called Sampler World, which has over 4,000 members worldwide. The whole point of that group is for people to share their embroidery projects with one another.

Sure, sometimes I see something and think, "Oooh, I really want that!" and then buy the pattern...but considering that even a medium-sized sampler takes 50+ hours to complete, I figure an occasional $15 purchase isn't a big deal. It also helps me get inspired to work on my own embroidery projects when I see all the lovely things that everyone else is working on.

Plus everyone is kind, pleasant, and enthusiastic, which is the best possible way for an online community to be.

Why not start your own journal-related Tumblr? I have a needlework Tumblr (http://fuckyeahneedlework.tumblr.com/) and it's been awesome to see all the great stuff that people create. I have 2,560 followers (as of today) and all I do is post pictures of awesome needlework, three times a day, every day. (I also post "Fuck Yeah Needlework Advice" on Wednesdays, where I answer reader questions about needlework.)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
Why not start a new group for frugal journalers? Not that the topic is about being mustachian, but instead on how to do the act of journaling frugally.

Focus on doing things that will allow you to have interesting things to put into your journals. An interesting journal is a byproduct of an interesting life.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 03:02:14 PM »
I don't understand how to make a pencil cost $10. Is it more than wood and graphite? Or does it get bent into funky shapes or something?