Author Topic: Take The Job?  (Read 2150 times)

diesel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Take The Job?
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »
Hi All,

I know this may be tough to answer but I want to get some advice from some wiser, more experienced members.

While not actively searching for a job, (but always keeping an open mind) a connection set me up with an interview.  I just got a call and I got offered the job.  I am having trouble deciding what to do as I'm not in "I need out of this job" mode.

A little about the situation:
I am a lean manufacturing engineer.  28 years old and live-in girlfriend (plan to be wife)
Currently working at a plant in Mississippi.
I work for a fortune 250 corporation that is a great company.  I completed a 2 year rotational program where I moved around every 6 months so I have built quite a network.  Generally speaking the rotational program puts people on a good path to management.  After the rotations I accepted a position here in Mississippi and have been here for ~1.5 years (so a total of 3.5 years with the corporation).  While the corporation is great, the particular division I am in has been in a transition period and I am starting to feel a bit stagnant.  I am ready to advance my career and feel I have a high ceiling here since it is such a large corporation with so many options but at the moment there is no clear path.  A couple of the people that hired me have since left the corporation.

New offer:  Another manufacturing facility in Tennessee (a place I have always wanted to live)
It is a subsidy of another very large corporation but the bulk of this one's operations are over seas.
I would be looking at a considerable pay raise (roughly 30% or $20k+) as well as a manager title with direct reports.

I will be moving from one low tax state to a potentially lower tax state.  My girlfriend shouldn't have trouble finding work there so we aren't concerned about that.  One of my mentors told me that it may be a while before an opportunity like this comes up at my current employer so she thinks taking the job would be a good idea. (She is my former boss and has since moved on from the corporation to be an entrepreneur).  Additionally she said that this company does take ppl back often if I ever were to want to come back.

So in summary:  I am trying to compare taking a promotion and large raise at another company where my ultimate ceiling may not be as high with staying at a company where the end game may be higher but currently that end game looks like it is in the VERY distant future.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for any advice!

samsonator54321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Take The Job?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »
When do you want to retire? If your goal is FIRE asap then more money now is probably the fastest way to get there. If you are adamant about getting to the next step above and beyond low level manager, then I would still think this management experience would be a good step towards that long term goal. Maybe you can get hired back two steps up five years from now since you would then have the experience. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:04:01 PM by samsonator54321 »

diesel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:15:43 PM »
When do you want to retire? If your goal is FIRE asap then more money now is probably the fastest way to get there. If you are adamant about getting to the next step above and beyond low level manager, then I would still think this management experience would be a good step towards that long term goal. Maybe you can get hired back two steps up five years from now since you would then have the experience.

Your thought about getting hired back in five years is my thought exactly.  That is one of the big factors in the decision.

Additionally although I haven't gotten far enough to set a date, I am currently working through the investment order and I'm currently aggressively paying down student loan debt.  One of my thoughts is that this extra 20k per year would go a long way in helping me get that burden off my back and really give me some freedom.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
Do you think you want to be a manager?  That's the biggest question I would be trying to answer before making this decision.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:22:42 AM »
I HATE managing people.  I say it's like babysitting adults.  TN jobs sounds like a lot more responsibility.

diesel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:08:10 PM »
Do you think you want to be a manager?  That's the biggest question I would be trying to answer before making this decision.

I do want to be a manager.  I am ready to take that step and see if I like it.

I HATE managing people.  I say it's like babysitting adults.  TN jobs sounds like a lot more responsibility.

I am curious if I will feel the same way.  The good news is that the position in TN will only have 1 direct report (for now), but will also come with some other things I would like (strategy, planning, etc.)  So while it is more responsibility I am wondering if it is a good way to test the waters of management (while making a lot more than I am now)