Author Topic: Take a leap of faith and snag a new job?  (Read 1872 times)

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
Take a leap of faith and snag a new job?
« on: June 21, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
All,

An old colleague of mine reached out and said he an old colleague of his was looking for a data nerd mixed with Finance background. Said it was a director role but he will work with right guy. So I reached out and had a 40 minute conversation with the hiring manager.

29 yo old, 7 years experience in CPG industry, sales financey type roles.  Bounced around after 18-24 months to get my base up.

Current:
$120K + 15% bonus
2 weeks PTO (terrible, I hate it)
Family owned, doing extremely well.
No travel (nice)

About 20 months on the job.  Hit the point to where I am in a nice groove to where the work is pretty easy now. Find myself pretty bored some days and some days crazy busy. Boss is most likely retiring in a few months.  No upward mobility. No direct reports. Most I could probably squeeze out is a Sr Mgr role (currently Mgr)

New role:
Sr Mgr/Director Sales Finance
$150K + 25% Bonus
PTO 3 Weeks (pretty sure)
Private Equity owned for last 3 years
Unknown on travel
Big Data software (Tableau/Alteryx, excited, but makes me nervous)
Growth opportunities available in future Director, Sr Dir, etc)
Opportunity to have direct reports

I've never had to take a real big "leap of faith" job move before. This seems like a whole lot of job and the pay comes with it. It's pretty sophisticated software packages and learning it would be stressful but doable, working for Private Equity makes me uneasy, but it seems like it would be great on my resume and for my career. My current job I could probably cruise control for another 3-5 years, but it wouldn't be fun and I would feel like I'm peaking. It's a big role, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Just want to get some perspective from others. Is it right to move on when the good is going good? Is it right to get into cruise control mode after a certain period of time? Current job works very well in my current lifestyle, I generally like the work, love the no travel, hate that we only get 2 weeks off, pays me well and like the people I work with.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:55:45 PM by Easye418 »

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
Re: Take a leap of faith and snag a new job?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »
I'm curious what's the PTO with the leap of faith job?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Unknown but believe its 3 weeks. I'll update the OP.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:26:41 AM »
Have you done any advanced reporting, for example in Excel?  If so, you should be able to pick up Tableau without many issues.  I'd recommend taking a week-long introductory/intermediate course, and then there are lots and lots of tutorials available online.  (I am a Tableau developer and train finance people all the time in how to use it.)

How many more years do you plan to work?  If it's 5+, it may not be a great idea to move into coasting mode already.  You want to keep you skillset up.

Even if you aren't ready to coast, you do need to make sure that you get the work-life balance that you want, whether that's at your company, company B, or some other company you haven't convinced to hire you yet. 

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »
Have you done any advanced reporting, for example in Excel?  If so, you should be able to pick up Tableau without many issues.  I'd recommend taking a week-long introductory/intermediate course, and then there are lots and lots of tutorials available online.  (I am a Tableau developer and train finance people all the time in how to use it.)

How many more years do you plan to work?  If it's 5+, it may not be a great idea to move into coasting mode already.  You want to keep you skillset up.

Even if you aren't ready to coast, you do need to make sure that you get the work-life balance that you want, whether that's at your company, company B, or some other company you haven't convinced to hire you yet.

I use Excel daily, however, what do you mean by advanced reporting?

I plan to work 5+ for sure.  Yeah, that was why I felt I needed to move on from this current job because I am starting to get complacent, I am very good at my job and many people in all departments come to me for specific system questions constantly, however, I don't feel like there is growth nor a challenge left here for me.  But it is one of those... move job, more stress.... more money, more problems type thing.

I love the functionality of Tableau, I had a very limited experience just sitting Tableau on top of Excel data sets and creating dashboards and other fun reports to help drive sales, however, I know that is only the top layer. 

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 09:51:44 AM »
I love the functionality of Tableau, I had a very limited experience just sitting Tableau on top of Excel data sets and creating dashboards and other fun reports to help drive sales, however, I know that is only the top layer.

You'll be fine technically, then.

Just remember, your options aren't necessarily only these two jobs.  There might be other options out there too if you think the second option is too much stress/work.