Author Topic: Tablo/Cable Cutting DVR Device  (Read 4246 times)

prof61820

• Bristles
Tablo/Cable Cutting DVR Device
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:11:27 PM »
Do any of the cable cutters out there use a Tablo?

I have 2 TVs (yes, I know) and a very vertical home.  My upstairs TV is the only one works with a digital antenna so I have to change rooms (and schlep up a couple flights of stairs) to watch things like the world series tonight and local sports and news on other nights.

I know it's not a big deal but I'm thinking that the Tablo will solve this issue (and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new TV that works with an digital antenna).  As an alternative, has anyone fixed a digital antenna receiver on a TV?  That's probably the easiest solution but I can't figure it out and I think I'd rather buy a Tablo than pay a repairman $150 bucks for a maybe.

Any other reasons to fork over the $200 bucks to get one?

How does it work with an Apple TV?  Do I have to run the program on my IPAD and then stream on to the TV via the Apple TV (a little like a Chromecast)?

Tablo Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXUDD0O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1F46NTFMHRWXG&coliid=I2EZ526V38F9K0&psc=1

stash4cash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Tablo/Cable Cutting DVR Device
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »
I have a similar issue in my house. Thinking about an attic antenna  -- which appear to be significantly cheaper than a Tablo. :) Have you considered this option?

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
Do you have cable internet? You can run the coax cable that runs into your modem straight into the tv and pick up free over the air channels if your cable company supports QAM. Obviously it's not a DVR, but you can watch live tv without an antenna.

For DVR I used to have a HDHomerun hooked up to windows media center 7 and that was my DVR. Then I'd stream it through my XBox 360. But once I bought a Roku we pretty much stopped watching recorded tv so I got rid of it.

prof61820

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »
I have a similar issue in my house. Thinking about an attic antenna  -- which appear to be significantly cheaper than a Tablo. :) Have you considered this option?

No, how does it work?  I don't have an attic...would that be a problem?

I could connect the antenna to the cable lines on my 4th floor, however.

prof61820

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
Do you have cable internet? You can run the coax cable that runs into your modem straight into the tv and pick up free over the air channels if your cable company supports QAM. Obviously it's not a DVR, but you can watch live tv without an antenna.

For DVR I used to have a HDHomerun hooked up to windows media center 7 and that was my DVR. Then I'd stream it through my XBox 360. But once I bought a Roku we pretty much stopped watching recorded tv so I got rid of it.

Yes, I do.  I'm more interested in watching live TV rather (on my main TV) rather than using the DVR functionality that the Tablo offers, right now.  Saving $ would be an added bonus.  How do I find out if Comcast supports QAM? 

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »
The best way is just to take the coax cable out of the back of your modem, plug it into your tv, and run a scan using the CABLE setting, not the ANTENNA setting. If it picks up channels, you're good to go.

Then you just need a good splitter - send one coax cable to your modem, the other to your tv. I'm 99% sure this is the splitter TWC uses (meaning it'll work with both a cable modem and HD channels) and I'm 99% sure this is the one I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/SV-2GT-TIME-WARNER-2-Way-Splitter-5-1002MHz-1GHz-/231039917653?pt=US_Splitters_Combiners&hash=item35cb0d5e55

My modem is in another room from the tv, so I put the splitter outside where the main line comes in, and sent the other ends to the appropriate rooms.

These links may be some help:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/using-a-digital-tv-with-qam-tuner
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Clear-QAM-and-Limited-Basic/td-p/1420191