Author Topic: Switching to Republic from AT&T (iPhone) Question(s)  (Read 5607 times)

Baylor3217

• Bristles
Switching to Republic from AT&T (iPhone) Question(s)
« on: June 01, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
I've explored some of the articles before, but haven't yet made the move.

I still rely heavily on my iPhone for work.  I have unlimited data, voice and texting and pay about $135 per month.

Question 1) If I were to switch to republic, pay the $259 or so for the phone, I'd basically break even in about 2 months.  I could even sell an older iPHone to probably cover those costs.  If I didn't like the service and then went back to AT&T, I assumed I'd lose my unlimited data, correct?

To address this, I could take my current iphone down to the bare minimum, test our Republic with a new phone number and probably still be way money ahead.

Question 2) If I moved my current number to Republic, could I 1) get a new Number for my iPHone if i kept that service for a couple of months while trying out the new service and 2) could I move the original number back from Republic to the AT&T iPhone phone should I deem the service not robust enough for my needs?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:06:02 PM by Baylor3217 »

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Switching to Republic from AT&T (iPhone) Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »
I'm curious about this too. We have two iPhones. One unlimited and one not. 

huadpe

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:39:37 PM »
Re: your bolded question, you would lose unlimited data.  If you want to go to an unlimited data plan you could go to Sprint or T-Mobile.

Do you use your iPhone intensively?  I have a feeling that if you do, you're not gonna enjoy Republic.  The Defy XT isn't nearly as nice of a phone all around, and while it's unlimited, you don't get 4G.

I personally am a fan of Ting, which is a bit more like a conventional carrier than Republic, but is pay-as-you-use, and has a pretty good selection of Android devices, including the new fancy ones like a Galaxy S4.  Or a $70 smartphone if you want something cheap.  And lots between.  If you're intense users of data/voice it will probably be more expensive than Republic though, so YMMV.  For myself, with 2 smartphones and some international roaming (cause I go to Canada a lot) I spend about $50 a month.

Oh, also, if you plan to leave the US at all regularly, don't go Republic.  Your phone turns into a brick outside the US if you don't have wifi.  Ting on the other hand has very good int'l roaming rates.

Here's a referral link anyways: https://zfe8hfk8g.ting.com/

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Republic? Unlimited? Ha!

Human nature, the "unlimited" greed button, and technological voodoo strike again. Baylor, if you want a real solution, start here.

-JR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 12:03:33 AM »
I'm about to suspend (which is like pausing) my Verizon service to try out Ting. It's cool because you don't have to a) risk losing your original coverage and b) you get to try the competition out. There is no downside here. I think ATT has 6 month service suspension available, just tell em you're going on vacation if they ask questions.

Also, check out the cell swapping services that pair up people wanting to give up their plan with people with people who don't want to pay out the azz for a phone or sign 24 month contracts.

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »
What kind of phone would y'all recommend?  For work, I need some keep of sophistication hence the iphone

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:17:49 AM »
If you decide to go the Republic route, I think they are going to add iPhones to their phone possibilities.

Good luck! I've been working on this same subject on and off for a good amount of time now.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:04:12 AM »
If you decide to go the Republic route, I think they are going to add iPhones to their phone possibilities.

I'm inclined to agree with MMM on this one.

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »
After doing some more research, I think TING is going to be the best way for me to go.

1) Are there any coupons or discounts for the phone I will need to purchase?

2) For those that have made the switch, can you speak to what phone you went to from an iPhone if that's what you're used to using?  I use the phone mainly for business - outlook email, viewing PPTs, and the apps that come with it or you can download from the app store.  I'd like to spend a minimal amount on the phone of course, but still have something reasonable to meet my work needs.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
Baylor-

1) There's several folks around the forums with Ting referral codes.

2) If your bulk of needs boil down to Exchange/MS Office, any Android phone should be sufficient as Exchange server support is available under the default Android mail client, and Quickoffice will fill that last gap. I'd also recommend getting a slider phone with a QWERTY keyboard. Just a lot easier and faster to type on. Knowing that, if you're starting from scratch and going Ting, maybe ponder on the Kyocera Rise. It's not swanky, but it's functional.

-JR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »
After doing some more research, I think TING is going to be the best way for me to go.

1) Are there any coupons or discounts for the phone I will need to purchase?

2) For those that have made the switch, can you speak to what phone you went to from an iPhone if that's what you're used to using?  I use the phone mainly for business - outlook email, viewing PPTs, and the apps that come with it or you can download from the app store.  I'd like to spend a minimal amount on the phone of course, but still have something reasonable to meet my work needs.

Just checked and apparently I now have a ting referral code. :)

https://zs7rfc1ct93.ting.com/