Author Topic: Switching Jobs - How to Keep Same Mobile Phone Number???  (Read 3237 times)

Agg97

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Switching Jobs - How to Keep Same Mobile Phone Number???
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
Hello, fellow Mustachians!  I will be switching jobs in the next few weeks (woo hoo!), and could use some advice. 

My current employer provides a mobile phone for me, and my new employer will as well.  I am taking about 6 weeks off between leaving Job #1 and starting Job #2.  I'd like to keep my same mobile phone number while I'm "unemployed" and at the new company. 

Right now, I'm researching about buying a pre-paid/burner phone, port my existing number to that during my time off, and get my new employer to port that same number to the phone they provide me.  Is this the best/cheapest/easiest solution or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks!

Agg97

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Switching Jobs - How to Keep Same Mobile Phone Number???
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:14:49 PM »
Or see if you can port it in to Twilio for a couple bucks a month or Ting for $25-ish (inc phone service) per month.

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:36:54 PM »
If you're a relatively light user and need to use your phone during that time I'd recommend doing something like buying a 90-day prepaid SIM from Red Pocket - you have your choice of networks and it's $29 for 3 months with 500 minutes/text/MB of data. You can then port to the new employer when you're ready. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Pocket-90-Day-Prepaid-Wireless-Phone-Plan-Essentials-No-Contract-SIM-Kit/132081883831?hash=item1ec0b19ab7%3Ag%3ATPQAAOSwH3haRxFI&_sacat=0&_nkw=red+pocket+90&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »
Or port it to Google Voice and then forward it to whatever your new carrier number is, and change carriers in the future without ever worrying about porting again. :)

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »
Or port it to Google Voice and then forward it to whatever your new carrier number is, and change carriers in the future without ever worrying about porting again. :)

This is what I do but it's not for everyone.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »
Does the number belong to your employer? If it does, you may not be able to. For that matter, the new company may not allow you to use that number. You'll have to ask both companies.