Author Topic: Switching from Republic Wireless  (Read 9199 times)

jasminegeekface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Switching from Republic Wireless
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:49:44 AM »
I've been with Republic Wireless for about a year and have had the $10/month plan with the Moto E. I didn't really have many complaints for most of that time, except for minor issues here and there, but in the past couple of weeks I can't even text or call properly anymore. Calls I dial don't go through until several minutes later, and texts I send either don't go through or go out in duplicates. It's been very frustrating and I spend too much time wondering if people never got my texts or if they just haven't responded yet, and their customer service is all online and horribly unhelpful so far.

I'm thinking of switching to a different service and just paying a little more so my phone isn't bordering on useless. I'm considering switching to Ting, but after the experience with RW I'm feeling cautious about taking the leap. For those of you who have used/are using Ting, how are you liking and do you have any complaints? Or can anyone recommend a different affordable and reliable phone service? I've looked at the stickied tech thread already, but I'm more looking for personal experiences from people in this thread.

For some context, I'm really not a data user at all, but I text and use minutes pretty heavily because I'm in a long distance relationship and my phone is all that keeps me and my boyfriend in touch for weeks between visits. Any recommendations/advice appreciated.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Switching from Republic Wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:57 AM »
Have you read I.P. Daley's guide?
http://www.techmeshugana.com/theguide/

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »
I'm planning on switching from republic wireless to cricket wireless, the only issue is that republic wireless turned my number into a landline number, so I have to transfer from republic wireless to t mobile, as soon as my number transfers to t mobile it will become a cell phone number again and I can then transfer it to cricket wireless. I have no idea why republic wireless turns numbers into landline numbers but maybe that's why there is a 2nd secret number attached to each republic phone. MMM used to use Ting and has an article on it, here it is
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/10/11/our-new-10-00-per-month-iphone-plans/
here is another
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/11/16/republic-wireless-old-phone-new-phone-and-a-tempting-competitor/
I.P. Daley also has it in his recomended MVNOs here,
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-son-of-the-superguide!/msg230579/#msg230579
good luck with whatever you choose!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »
Jasmine, the thing to remember about the guide I've authored and the providers I've recommended is that these are companies that I've researched thoroughly on the basis of value, customer support quality, privacy policies, terms of service contracts, customer satisfaction and complaints, business longevity and employee satisfaction, amongst other things. I'm not recommending purely on who is just the absolute cheapest or who gives me the biggest referral kickbacks.

With perhaps the exception of Virgin Mobile and Red Pocket which will be dropped in the next iteration of the guide, there really aren't any recommended providers that I wouldn't be willing to use myself or recommend to my own mother... and with the closure of P'tel (which expands a whole other subject), I am now officially using Ting, and I have no complaints... and to emphasize and prove my satisfaction, I am willing to recommend them to you string-free as a good and affordable option for multi-line households without so much as a referral link from myself. That said, if you're only looking for a single line of service, I could and would recommend other providers as being a better financial option depending on your usage statistics.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:00:19 AM by I.P. Daley »

jasminegeekface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »
Thank you all for responding! I.P. Daley, I think I'm just overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information in your guide and that's why I figured getting some personal input might be less confusing for me. I'm only looking for a single line of service for the foreseeable future, so  it sounds like Ting wouldn't be my best option. Which of the other providers would you recommend? I probably go through 1800 minutes of calls each month, and probably over a 1500 texts as well. I don't use data for anything.

Also, Jeremy, the thing about the number being turned into a landline is news to me and that sounds like a pain. Is switching to a different network the only way to get it to become a cell number again? And what's your timeline looking like for finally getting to Cricket, between the two transfers?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »
Thank you all for responding! I.P. Daley, I think I'm just overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information in your guide and that's why I figured getting some personal input might be less confusing for me. I'm only looking for a single line of service for the foreseeable future, so  it sounds like Ting wouldn't be my best option. Which of the other providers would you recommend? I probably go through 1800 minutes of calls each month, and probably over a 1500 texts as well. I don't use data for anything.

Also, Jeremy, the thing about the number being turned into a landline is news to me and that sounds like a pain. Is switching to a different network the only way to get it to become a cell number again? And what's your timeline looking like for finally getting to Cricket, between the two transfers?
You can still transfer to most carriers, there are only a few that won't let you transfer landline numbers, sadly my choice Cricket Wireless ended up being one of them. I think it'll take 1-2 days per transfer, assuming I already have a T mobile and Cricket sim card, which I'm currently having a T mobile sim card shipped to me(already have a cricket sim card). I would check with the provider you choose before worrying about this, as it's likely it won't be an issue. If your goal is to spend less, I'd recommend whatsapp and google voice, with those services you can get by with a cheaper phone plan. Good Luck

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »

At those usage levels, I would definitely recommend an AT&T MVNO (if AT&T coverage is conducive to your area) offering an "unlimited" talk and text plan. Airvoice Wireless offers a $20 "unlimited" talk and text plan with 100MB of data, as does H2O Wireless' EasyGo sub-brand now. My own mother uses Airvoice.

The thing to remember when pouring through the information in the guide is that I've tried to structure it so you can apply the process of elimination to the diversity of choices, because there really is no one-size-fits-all provider or network.

Who offers the best coverage in your area, and/or which networks does your existing phone work with?
Which of the options on that/those networks offers the best deal for the usage pattern you use?

Asking these questions helps to rapidly plow through the field and narrow down to two or three at the outside most. In your case, your Republic handset is carrier locked to them only, which means you either need to dig out your old phone if you still have it or get another one.

I've mentioned the porting issue problem in the past with Republic during other debates over why I don't recommend them and try to warn others here from even going in to begin with, and it does cause problems with number porting with some carriers, unfortunately. Even myself, the best solution I've found is to port to either T-Mobile prepaid or a T-Mobile MVNO first if you're needing to take the number to most AT&T or Verizon carriers, but there are exceptions and I'd encourage you to ask the provider you're going to first before trying to work sideways on the issue.

It's a pain in the keester, but that's Republic in a nutshell. When it fails, it fails spectacularly on multiple fronts that most people never even consider being an issue... and they aren't, except with Republic. They're so unique and special, they've created their own set of wholly unique and special problems that no other mobile carrier user has to deal with as you're now finding out.

GorgeousSteak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 03:36:46 PM »
I switched to Ting from T-Mobile have had no problems, its been all gravy.  But, I think Ting actually uses the same network as T-Mobile, so not surprisingly, its basically the same thing, but like 1/3 the price.  I was a bringing a T-Mobile phone over, and remember it being kind of a PITA, like it took me about 30 minutes to an hour to get it switched over correctly, but this was pretty minor really.

Capt Stubble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 03:49:06 PM »
I switched to Ting from T-Mobile have had no problems, its been all gravy.  But, I think Ting actually uses the same network as T-Mobile, so not surprisingly, its basically the same thing, but like 1/3 the price.  I was a bringing a T-Mobile phone over, and remember it being kind of a PITA, like it took me about 30 minutes to an hour to get it switched over correctly, but this was pretty minor really.

I just started a thread about possibly returning to Tmobile from Ting. Apparently short codes (which I'd never heard of before) are blocked on Ting and coordination with Tmobile is required to fix the problem. Oops.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 04:36:04 AM »
Uh Oh!!  I JUST signed up for Republic's plan yesterday...

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
Despite what others say, I think republic wireless is a great carrier, the reason I'm switching is because I use a lot of internet and RWs new plans have cheap minutes/texts and expensive internet, if you don't use a lot of data I think RW is great

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »
I use Straight talk wireless, which wouldn't be that much more money if you don't need data. No issues with them so far. Kitty wireless is similar.

jasminegeekface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 09:09:42 PM »
For the time being my phone problem has finally been resolved...apparently the RW service can't handle the latest updates to the Facebook app and FB Messenger app, and ends up screwing with calls and texts. I uninstalled both and everything is functioning normally again. This solution is not ideal by any means, but at least I can reliably contact people until I've decided on a service to switch over to.

I.P. Daley, thank you so much for all the advice! I will look into Airvoice and figure out if I need to switch to T-mobile to get around the porting issue. I really appreciate your detailed response.

jasminegeekface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 09:12:51 PM »

Just don't install the Facebook or Messenger apps for now, lol. Apparently the service currently can't handle the latest versions of those without delaying calls and texts. You should be fine most of the time otherwise...the problems can be annoying but they're not frequent enough for you to have to panic that you signed up :)

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 02:55:31 AM »
Despite what others say, I think republic wireless is a great carrier, the reason I'm switching is because I use a lot of internet and RWs new plans have cheap minutes/texts and expensive internet, if you don't use a lot of data I think RW is great

Gotcha.  In that case I should be good to go!!!  I don't use much data for my daily exploits.  As a matter of fact, it is cut off on my current phone. =)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 08:17:46 AM »
Just don't install the Facebook or Messenger apps for now, lol. Apparently the service currently can't handle the latest versions of those without delaying calls and texts.

This is, hands down, one of the most idiotic service bugs I've ever heard of. A supposed "smartphone" "mobile" phone service that stops working reliably because of one of the most popular and frequently used apps in the world is installed.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can justify recommending, let alone defending, this sort of incompetence from a company that actively takes people's money for a service that cannot by its very design be provided reliably.

Only Republic Wireless.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:34:48 AM by I.P. Daley »

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 10:04:06 AM »
Just don't install the Facebook or Messenger apps for now, lol. Apparently the service currently can't handle the latest versions of those without delaying calls and texts.

This is, hands down, one of the most idiotic service bugs I've ever heard of. A supposed "smartphone" "mobile" phone service that stops working reliably because of one of the most popular and frequently used apps in the world is installed.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can justify recommending, let alone defending, this sort of incompetence from a company that actively takes people's money for a service that cannot by its very design be provided reliably.

Only Republic Wireless.
I have the facebook and messenger app on my republic wireless phone and it runs fine, I've had a few problems with my phone, but I'm currently spending $25/month instead of the $45 i was spending previously with straight talk(which also had a few problems), so I'm 100% okay dealing with it.

jasminegeekface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 08:48:53 PM »

Only Republic Wireless.

I agree that it's idiotic, but I'm not recommending or defending it, just offering a temporary solution to someone who already signed up for it.

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 12:23:04 PM »
I also think that the "best" provider varies quite a bit depending on where you live, what phone you already own, and other things like access to wifi.  For me I had stupidly been an AT&T customer paying through the nose for my monthly bill.  I had chosen AT&T because it had the best coverage in my area and I stupidly didn't even consider MNVOs.  Once I came across MMM I was determined to switch providers once my contract ended.  I looked only at services where I could use my AT&T phone so that I wouldn't be spending hundreds of dollars on a new smartphone.  I also work at a place with no wifi (I know - it's really unthinkable) and live rurally so I often don't have wifi access when out running errands, so something like Republic Wireless wasn't going to be a good option for me either.  I ended up going with Cricket wireless because I could use my AT&T phone, it wasn't reliant on me having near constant access to wifi, and the price was right.  I haven't had any complaints about Cricket - $35/month for 2.5g of data and unlimited voice/text, no problems with coverage, and my phone works just fine on their network (no glitches with any of the apps I use).  Good luck with your search!

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »

Just don't install the Facebook or Messenger apps for now, lol. Apparently the service currently can't handle the latest versions of those without delaying calls and texts. You should be fine most of the time otherwise...the problems can be annoying but they're not frequent enough for you to have to panic that you signed up :)

Well, that works in my favor then because I don't use much Facebook. :) I appreciate the comfort, for sure.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 07:12:31 AM »
I agree that it's idiotic, but I'm not recommending or defending it, just offering a temporary solution to someone who already signed up for it.

Don't worry, I wasn't aiming that particular statement at you in this thread. My apologies anyway if you thought I was.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
My mother had a similar issue with the Moto E and my wife is having issues with the Moto X v1.

The thing is, the phones are 2 years old! That's a pretty usual shelf life.

I've upgraded to the Moto Xv2, and it's been nothing but fantastic. My wife is getting hers too.

ON top of all of this, the new payout plan makes it amazing. I have WiFi at work and home, so my bills been ~$25 on average per month.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 12:23:41 PM »
If you both have iphones  (get a 4 or 5 on ebay), and most of your messaging and calls are done while you are using wifi, that can all be free with imessaging and facetime audio.

I have the airvoice $10/month plan for the other calls and texts.  I message my BFF and DH incessantly, but I'm usually in wifi, so none of that goes against the $10.

I will even occasionally (very occasionally) use data.  With the iphone you can turn data on to get directions, then turn it off an the gps will still route you.  Just don't miss a turn, or you may need to turn data back on to re-route.

I've been with airvoice for 2-3 years now.  It's great.  I think maybe once a year I'll have an odd call that eats up more time before my refill hits, so it's really more like $10.83/month.  Still, it's great.  I tell people all about it all the time, but they still pay for their big contract plans...

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 07:33:03 PM »
I've upgraded to the Moto Xv2, and it's been nothing but fantastic. My wife is getting hers too.

ON top of all of this, the new payout plan makes it amazing. I have WiFi at work and home, so my bills been ~$25 on average per month.

I got the MotoXv2 and I've only had it for a few days, but so far it is better than the Iphone 5s I was using.  The only "complaint" I have is the wifi calling is much lower quality than I expected (we have a fantastic router and a high level of data through our connect, though not fiber optic yet).  But for $10/mo, I have no real frustrations.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »
The thing is, the phones are 2 years old! That's a pretty usual shelf life.

What? My previous phone lasted something like 7 years and I suspect it only died because we accidentally ran it through the washer!

jlh992

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »
If you can find three of four more people interested in switching to a high-quality, low-cost cell phone plan I highly recommend Cricket. We've been with them for over a year now and have only had a few hiccups (bad SIM card, odd network settings that had to be manually entered.)

Their basic plan is $40/mo ($35 with auto pay) for 2.5gb 4G LTE (I think it's been proven a bit slower than real LTE if that matters to you), and unlimited talk/text. The real savings comes from their group/family plans at $100/mo for five lines with their basic package.

The only downside to the group plan it that it requires one line to be the account holder so it makes splitting payments a bit of a pain if those on your plan can't/won't pay in anything other than month to month payments.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 02:36:32 PM »

I got the MotoXv2 and I've only had it for a few days, but so far it is better than the Iphone 5s I was using.  The only "complaint" I have is the wifi calling is much lower quality than I expected (we have a fantastic router and a high level of data through our connect, though not fiber optic yet).  But for $10/mo, I have no real frustrations.

That's strange. I don't have that issue at all. The only time I have any issues is when I'm on the edge of WiFi about to drive away and making a call. My WiFi calls are fantastic. Now that I think about it, if I keep my phone on speaker and my daughter is running around yelling, then it could be a little spotty. It's not an issue when I have it on my ear though.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 12:28:18 AM »

That's strange. I don't have that issue at all. The only time I have any issues is when I'm on the edge of WiFi about to drive away and making a call. My WiFi calls are fantastic. Now that I think about it, if I keep my phone on speaker and my daughter is running around yelling, then it could be a little spotty. It's not an issue when I have it on my ear though.

Yeah, I've asked my SO to check the router and make sure it is set on optimal settings... especially since he is thinking about switching as well!!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 05:07:18 AM »
During the brief period I had RW, whether I was on Wireless or not, there was a discernible lag in voice transmission that led to constant talking over each other. No thank you!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!