Author Topic: Switching from iphone 4s to google nexus 4  (Read 6432 times)

Akscal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Switching from iphone 4s to google nexus 4
« on: October 31, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
I currently have an iphone 4s on sprint, and pay almost $100/month for an unlimited plan. Since I have been reading this blog I have come to realize that this is a ridiculous amount of money. I would like a cheaper plan. I stumbled upon the unlocked google nexus 4 phone which was recently decreased to $200. If combined with straight talk  pre paid plan for only $45/month, I will save a good $400/year if my calculations are correct. I like to allure of an unlocked phone that I can use abroad. I was wondering what people on here thought. Anyone have any experience with the google nexus4, straight talk or using a nexus 4?

livetogive

• Stubble
Re: Switching from iphone 4s to google nexus 4
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »
yes and there's tons of info on the mega thread, but I love the nexus 4.  The nexus 5 just came out today so I highly suggest looking at a used nexus 4 on ebay or similar before buying new.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »
Since you're already on Sprint, and already have an expensive phone with sunk costs, why not switch to Ting?  iPhone 4S is on the whitelist so you wouldn't need to purchase any hardware, and you could spend the same or less than you might at Straight Talk.

https://help.ting.com/entries/22567167-BYOD-Whitelist-
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:28:47 PM by iamlindoro »

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »
When is your contract up? = the real question.

If you own the phone outright - jump ship but see if Sprint is willing to try to keep you.

If you don't you can still probably reduce your plan.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »
I currently have an iphone 4s on sprint, and pay almost $100/month for an unlimited plan. Since I have been reading this blog I have come to realize that this is a ridiculous amount of money. I would like a cheaper plan. I stumbled upon the unlocked google nexus 4 phone which was recently decreased to $200. If combined with straight talk  pre paid plan for only $45/month, I will save a good $400/year if my calculations are correct. I like to allure of an unlocked phone that I can use abroad. I was wondering what people on here thought. Anyone have any experience with the google nexus4, straight talk or using a nexus 4?

Old news on the 4, sold out a long time ago. Doesn't mean you couldn't pick up used or refurbed potentially for that price these days after the 5 hit the market, but not new from Google, not now. Also, if you're going GSM, seriously avoid StraightTalk, Net10 and Tracfone. There's far better for cheaper. Do yourself a favor and read the first seven posts on the Communications Superguide.

Since you're already on Sprint, and already have an expensive phone with sunk costs, why not switch to Ting?  iPhone 4S is on the whitelist so you wouldn't need to purchase any hardware, and you could spend the same or less.

That actually just went live within the past 24 hours, too. I held off on reporting it as it's still in beta status and they appear to have wanted to keep it on the quiet end for the moment. Figured I'd wait until it was official, but it'll be nice to finally have an MVNO I can recommend for Sprint iPhone 4/4s users to activate on.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/10/sprint-mvno-ting-now-acivating-byosp.html

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
Since you're already on Sprint, and already have an expensive phone with sunk costs, why not switch to Ting?  iPhone 4S is on the whitelist so you wouldn't need to purchase any hardware, and you could spend the same or less.

That actually just went live within the past 24 hours, too. I held off on reporting it as it's still in beta status and they appear to have wanted to keep it on the quiet end for the moment. Figured I'd wait until it was official, but it'll be nice to finally have an MVNO I can recommend for Sprint iPhone 4/4s users to activate on.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/10/sprint-mvno-ting-now-acivating-byosp.html

Ah, cool!  Good timing!  I hadn't realized it had only just happened-- just figured it had to have happened since the last time I looked at it and when I googled, there it was :)

Cecil

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:00:40 PM »
The Nexus 4 is a marvelous phone and I've had one for about a year now. It's held up very well. It's still as smooth as when I got it and it can handle everything I throw at it without breaking a sweat.

The one downside of switching will be that if you've spent a lot of money on apps then you'll have to re-buy them. Android does have a fair number of free alternatives though - I think I've spent a total of $20-$30 on apps in the last 3 years.

I'm so impressed with the price/quality of the Nexus line that I also just bought a Nexus 5 this morning (just so my wife can have the hand-me-down 4. Really. I don't have a gadget problem. It's all for my wife.)

Akscal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 12:14:12 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. This forum is such a treasure trove of information it is ridiculous. I now have a lot more to consider. I will follow the thread on the ting website about the beta iphone 4s version to see what the reactions are. I think that may be my best bet as getting an unlocked  nexus 4 may be a little more difficult since the new nexus 5 just dropped.

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 08:51:18 AM »
I currently have an iphone 4s on sprint, and pay almost $100/month for an unlimited plan. Since I have been reading this blog I have come to realize that this is a ridiculous amount of money. I would like a cheaper plan. I stumbled upon the unlocked google nexus 4 phone which was recently decreased to $200. If combined with straight talk  pre paid plan for only $45/month, I will save a good $400/year if my calculations are correct.

I use Straight Talk with my iPhone 4S, for what it is worth. Why do you need to buy a new phone to do that?

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »
I currently have an iphone 4s on sprint, and pay almost $100/month for an unlimited plan. Since I have been reading this blog I have come to realize that this is a ridiculous amount of money. I would like a cheaper plan. I stumbled upon the unlocked google nexus 4 phone which was recently decreased to $200. If combined with straight talk  pre paid plan for only $45/month, I will save a good $400/year if my calculations are correct.

I use Straight Talk with my iPhone 4S, for what it is worth. Why do you need to buy a new phone to do that?

Because a Sprint iPhone uses CDMA and Straight Talk uses GSM (as an AT&T MVNO).  They're different hardware.

gotaholen1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
If you do decide to switch, please make sure to turn off iMessage on your iphone before switching phones.  I switched to Android and this is a big issue.  If you do not turn off iMessage, you will not receive text messages from other iPhone users.  This is a big issue that Apple has not really fixed.

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »

Because a Sprint iPhone uses CDMA and Straight Talk uses GSM (as an AT&T MVNO).  They're different hardware.

Ah, bingo. I thought that with the 4S they had consolidated on a single piece of hardware.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
I have the Nexus 4.  It's my first smart phone.  I have a $40 prepaid plan. I love it.

Akscal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »
I thought I would post an update. I have decide to keep the iphone, but I just switched my carriers. I have switched from sprint to Ting and my bill has gone from around 92 dollars with sprint to 32 dollars with Ting. I also only use Wi-fi for data, and talkatone for voice and txting when Im an in wifi areas which is easy in NYC. This should translate to a $720 yearly savings. YAY!

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:35 AM »

Ah, cool!  Good timing!  I hadn't realized it had only just happened-- just figured it had to have happened since the last time I looked at it and when I googled, there it was :)

Ting support for the iPhone 4s has been great.  I was part of their beta program and even switched my wife's phone over as well.  I have had little to no issues with it.  The one thing I have had to do is be more mindful of my cell data usage.  If you do switch to Ting, please see the "Official Ting" referral thread and use the last one in the thread and post your now referral link.