Author Topic: Switching from AT&T post paid contract to GoPhone  (Read 2440 times)

goldensam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Switching from AT&T post paid contract to GoPhone
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »
I am considering switching from my AT&T post paid contract to a GoPhone plan. Currently, I pay approximately $110/month for unlimited everything, including data (grandfathered plan). This is after my generous discount I get through my employer. My previous employer paid my entire bill each month, so cost wasn't a factor, but now it's all on me. I can get a GoPhone plan with unlimited calling/texting, plus 8GB data at high speeds (throttled after that)for $60/month or $55 if I sign up for auto-pay. It sounds like a great deal but I want to see if there are any catches or issues I may not be aware of before I make the move. Thanks!

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Switching from AT&T post paid contract to GoPhone
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »
I have a phone on the go phone plan, it's the cheaper one and includes 4gb data which I never ever use.  Total bill $43 with the $5 auto bill discount and including taxes.  Same at&t coverage for a lot less money! 

Do you really need 8 GB?  That's a ton of data.  I use wifi primarily but you may not have access...

I have Ting for my son's phone and if he has reliable coverage on our upcoming travels I will drop kick at&t happily.

So the short answer is:. I don't notice any difference whatsoever on the go phone plan.  Go for it and enhance your 'stache.

goldensam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 03:30:41 PM »
Thank you! Did you have any issues porting your number from post to pre-paid?

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:03:05 PM »
No problem whatsoever but I did have to go to an at&t store to do it in person.  Pretty lame they couldn't handle it over the phone.  Not all stores can do it , either (lame again) so save yourself the headache and call first.

For Ting for my son it was so easy, just pop in the sim card and a few clicks of the mouse online and that was it.  Like I said I will likely switch to them and save another $15 off my monthly $43.  On Ting I can even call to Canada for 1cent/minute!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:27:39 PM »
There's even cheaper and better AT&T options from less terrible providers if you can whittle down your data usage and/or pay only for what you need. Give the guide a read.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »
For example, H2O wireless has 8G LTE(and unlimited 2G thereafter) for $40 /$36 autopay.. or the one I use, 3G LTE (then unlimited 2g) for $27 autopay.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk