Author Topic: Switch to part time?  (Read 3683 times)

Murse

• Pencil Stache
Switch to part time?
« on: April 17, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
I asked this question a Week ago, when I posted it I was tired and didn't have my thoughts well formed. I did get some answers but I wonder if they will be different if the question is reframed.

Worksite a) I currently work for the state. At my worksite we are currently going through a staffing crisis. How the union has arranged for management to cover these holes in the schedule is for them to have us take turns requireing us to stay for the the next shift (an extra 8 hours.) this has caused some more turn over and also morale is at a low point. I have been hanging on for months because of the promise of "it will get better" But it hasn't.

Worksite B) An opportunity has come up at another work site that is for an on call position. Hourly pay rate is the same but I would be on call. They would use me for when people have scheduled vacations and call me when people call in sick. The benefits would be the same however prorated for whatever percentage of hours I put in that month compared to full time.

I originally planned on working at worksite "a" until I could get full time at worksite "b." worksite "b" is about a half hour commute vs worksite "A's" 45 minute commute (on a good day.) worksite "b" is well known at worksite "a" for having much easier work, no mandates and a better working relationship with management.

My original plan was to work 6-7 years towards FI, then look at my situation and possibly switch to part time work. I am nearly 2 years into this plan. My current net worth is about 85k, and I put away around 4K per month. I am currently on track to break 100k in income in 2017 (due to the mandates, about once every other week currently.)

Advantages of worksite A) guaranteed full time work, I have a decent amount of seniority now and I am well respected by my peers. Disadvantages- burning through my sick time on days I can't make it back after mandates, low morale, poor management/floor staff relations. It appears they are working on it but I have low expectations.

Advantages of worksite B) I get to pick my schedule and work as many or as few shifts as I would like, Better management relations, no mandates. disadvantages- no guaranteed hours, and I could see myself working less then full time simply because I don't NEED to go to work. I can realistically see myself getting around 24 hours per week on average.

My current thoughts- I am on the fence. Part of me feels like I should suck it up, it's only for 4-5 more years then I could be done and in a very secure position financially. The other part of me thinks what is going on is crap and I shouldn't stand for it, I should vote with my feet and forget about the drama.

I turn 25 years old next month, I plan on purposing to my GF next month and likely getting married sometime this year. She brings in about 40-50k annually working full time. We have discussed children and don't plan on having them in the picture until 28-29 years old. She also comes with about 20k in debt.

My current expenses are about 1.2k per month.

All feedback is welcome, thanks.

live4soccer7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Switch to part time?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:14:14 PM »
I say stick it out, but that's just me. Unless you come across something that you like more that pays about the same. As you said, it is just a few more years. I have been grinding away at FI for a while now and should have just about 3yrs left and then I can lay off on all the stresses and enjoy life without the need to be worried about a big mortgage and simply enjoy the place I've purchased. The necessary money to maintain will be minimal at that point. Of course, the place I'm in is a place I bought that I never intend moving from because it has plenty of space, is in a great location, and is of modern construction quality (plumbing, electrical, etc...)

For me, I'm pushing as hard as I can to get to that point and I'm getting close. It will be worth it for me and then I can allocate all of my income for whatever I like, mostly investments to help with retirement and will definitely use more for "fun and enjoyable" activities and items. I'm grinding away now to hopefully reap the rewards much much sooner.

I hope that helps a lot. I know I rambled on a bit about my situation, but it sounded similar to yours so I thought I would share and hoped you could relate and perhaps give you a direction.

kamille

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Neonatal ICU RN
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
Worksite B sounds so much better! You are going to burnout real quick with the rate you are currently going at Worksite A and it won't be worth the physical and mental exhaustion to possibly get to FI quicker. A 45 minute commute is draining, especially working anything more than 12 hour shifts and is dangerous. I'm finding the longer I work at the same place that some people are willing to put up with a lot of crap because of the seniority and fear of changing and trying somewhere new. It's sad that turnover is so bad at Worksite A that having a couple years of work there is considered by you as "a decent amount of seniority." The demanding workload of Worksite A may even negatively affect your progressing relationship with your GF. What are you willing to sacrifice to get to FI asap? You may find working a little longer is more tolerable with a better commute and working environment. At least you have great savings so far and even if you choose to stay, it can be liberating just to have other workplace options available until you hit your FI goals.

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »
Burnout and bad management are horrible to deal with.  Been there, luckily ours got better finally

Can you be guaranteed any hours at worksite B?  How are your work benefits changing?  here a flex position like that would reduce our benefits by joining it.  Does that flex fit your life better?  would it make it easier to get into a permanent position over there? 

could you go to part time at your current location and take the position at worksite B as well?  get your feet in both doors????

Burnout, stress, and hatred of workplace really ruin a lot of experiences with work.  Can you withstand the flex of 40 to 0 hours?  if you're stressed and need an option out this may be a good one.  only you can decide if you can handle the what if of the variable hours.  also make sure they aren't over hiring the flex jobs at that B place, making the shifts few and far between

What does your partner think about this?  the closer commute is also a nice thing as well.  can any senority be carried over?

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:08:30 PM »
Burnout and bad management are horrible to deal with.  Been there, luckily ours got better finally

Can you be guaranteed any hours at worksite B?  How are your work benefits changing?  here a flex position like that would reduce our benefits by joining it.  Does that flex fit your life better?  would it make it easier to get into a permanent position over there? 

could you go to part time at your current location and take the position at worksite B as well?  get your feet in both doors????

Burnout, stress, and hatred of workplace really ruin a lot of experiences with work.  Can you withstand the flex of 40 to 0 hours?  if you're stressed and need an option out this may be a good one.  only you can decide if you can handle the what if of the variable hours.  also make sure they aren't over hiring the flex jobs at that B place, making the shifts few and far between

What does your partner think about this?  the closer commute is also a nice thing as well.  can any senority be carried over?

I would be the only float nurse for a total of 4 RN positions. Any vacation and sick call, I am the guy that gets the call to cover it. (Each RN gets a Minimum of 8 sick and 10 vacation hours per month) I would accrue vacation and sick time based on how many hours I get decided by how much is full time for that month, health care I get if I put in at least 80 hours a month, but I pay less for it the closer I get to full time, my retirement is based on a percentage of my pay. I am not guaranteed hours however I was verbally told there will not be a shortage (whatever that means.) I do believe it would make it easier to get a full time position however there's no way to know when one will open up.

As far as seniority it is the same union so I wouldn't lose any and if I were to return I would keep it. I have to give up my current position to take this one however I think I could take an on call position at both worksites.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:22:10 PM by Murse »

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 02:02:49 AM »
If its the same union, senority transfers, and you are able to get benefits still, then really its a decision of how much do you want stability or how much do you want out?

4 RNs with total average of 40 hours a month vacation covers about 1 week full time.  is there any other type of coverage you can do other than sick calls?  sick time is always variable.  Are they required to use their vacation in the same month they accrue it?  If they can build it up, there may be big blocks of vacation and big blocks of no vacation filling  have you been able to see the amount of sign up shifts they have available for their current on call person?  it would give a feel for what they have to offer.

Taking an on call at both might help.  even though management is driving you nuts, small doses makes that a lot easier to handle.  You will likely find a lot of on call shifts may fall on weekends or holidays.  Taking an on call position at both locations handy for when there are low times.  usually here there are quiet seasons and heavy seasons for vacation filling etc.  You just might have to plan a bit more in advance and buffer yourself for the months with low holiday/sick rates (here its oct/nov, april/may often.  winter but not travel season, and not summer)

Also if they are mandating you to stay, it must mean there are a lot of possible shifts available at least right now if you find the cushy on call job isn't cutting it hours wise.  some contracts have a 2 or 3 month escape clause, that if you find the new position isn't working, you have the option to go back to your old one. 

you say what your monthly expenses are, but not what % of your total income that is

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 05:11:22 AM »
I'd vote for "b", because having a flexible schedule is great. Please consider your personal preference before making the switch. Being on call means all the holidays and shifts that others don't want to work.

I'm concerned about the origin of GF's $20k debt. Care to provide more details about that?

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »
I'd vote for "b", because having a flexible schedule is great. Please consider your personal preference before making the switch. Being on call means all the holidays and shifts that others don't want to work.

I'm concerned about the origin of GF's $20k debt. Care to provide more details about that?

Student loans, 3.6% interest, we are keeping them. She is putting 25% in her 401k, soon she is moving to an ira as well.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:14:41 AM »
If its the same union, senority transfers, and you are able to get benefits still, then really its a decision of how much do you want stability or how much do you want out?

4 RNs with total average of 40 hours a month vacation covers about 1 week full time.  is there any other type of coverage you can do other than sick calls?  sick time is always variable.  Are they required to use their vacation in the same month they accrue it?  If they can build it up, there may be big blocks of vacation and big blocks of no vacation filling  have you been able to see the amount of sign up shifts they have available for their current on call person?  it would give a feel for what they have to offer.

Taking an on call at both might help.  even though management is driving you nuts, small doses makes that a lot easier to handle.  You will likely find a lot of on call shifts may fall on weekends or holidays.  Taking an on call position at both locations handy for when there are low times.  usually here there are quiet seasons and heavy seasons for vacation filling etc.  You just might have to plan a bit more in advance and buffer yourself for the months with low holiday/sick rates (here its oct/nov, april/may often.  winter but not travel season, and not summer)

Also if they are mandating you to stay, it must mean there are a lot of possible shifts available at least right now if you find the cushy on call job isn't cutting it hours wise.  some contracts have a 2 or 3 month escape clause, that if you find the new position isn't working, you have the option to go back to your old one. 

you say what your monthly expenses are, but not what % of your total income that is

Base pay from full time wages is around 6500/month, I get a 5%ish raise on the 3rd of may, I expect to make 39-40$/hour. There is no clause at all regarding returning. If I take this position I would have to re-interview for my old position. Management is known to hold grudges, so I may not be able to get back in. That said at the very least I know I can servive, the unknown is how low my savings rate will go. The people at "b" have a lot of seniority so we are probably talking an average of at least 14 hours of monthly vacation each. They can accrue up to 400 hours of vacation and unlimited sick. When people are about to retire they "get sick" much more often to burn it because it doesn't pay out.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 12:23:20 AM »
Update- I accepted the offer!! I'll put my notice in Friday and see about picking up extra time at the old facility as needed.

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:52 PM »
Congrats!  i hope you have a great time at the new location!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!