Author Topic: Superstores and Warehouse Stores for Credit Card Rewards  (Read 2161 times)

RidetheRain

• Bristles
Superstores and Warehouse Stores for Credit Card Rewards
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to max out my rewards on my credit cards, but most of my spending goes to Wal-mart and Sam's Club. Almost every credit card I look at specifically excludes these two from their grocery rewards rates and you just get the basic rate (usually 0.5-2% depending on the card)

I guess my question is three parts:
1. Is there a card I'm not seeing that's good for these types of stores?
2. If not, has anyone used the store cards and found them to be worthwhile? The rewards seem very limited (no cash back, travel miles, etc)
3. Should I just start grocery shopping elsewhere? There's a Vons within walking distance that would qualify as a grocery store, but the prices "feel" higher than Wal-mart/Sam's Club.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Superstores and Warehouse Stores for Credit Card Rewards
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
I would watch the grocery store ads for awhile for stuff you regularly buy. Maybe do a grocery trip solely for making a price list (write it down in your phone or notebook) and get the hard numbers on whether it is actually more expensive or not. I think you'll be surprised at how little you are actually saving at Walmart or Sam's Club. Walmart grocery prices are generally not cheaper in my experience unless you are buying processed or brand name stuff. Similarly, I only buy a few things from Sam's Club as most of their items also turn out more expensive and lower quality. I have a list of <10 items I buy there and it keeps getting smaller as they switch to even lower quality stuff. I only keep the membership because it comes out to <$1.50 a month and I save more than that $2 on coffee.

But to your original question. I've noticed about 2x per year an Amex Offer comes out for Walmart/Sam's Club and you can buy gift cards to use later. Other than that just use your generic 2% cashback card as there is nothing better.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »
Yeah, I've been meaning to do that. I'm guessing I'd do better at a grocery store because it would keep me from grabbing all those extras that walking through Walmart pulls me to. But, I'll definitely do a price check. I always just assumed Walmart is cheaper. Sam's club is exclusively for things I know for sure are cheaper and I can store in bulk.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:29:20 AM »
Do the check. I have kept the price book, and Walmart is much cheaper for me on store brand. I don't know about name brand as I never buy any.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:22:25 AM »
Keep an eye on your cards. My cards (Chase and Discover) have had warehouse stores as a 5% quarterly category in the recent past. My mom has a Sam's Club card and the rewards seem to be worth it for her, but like someone else said, make sure you are checking your prices first.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »
I see your location as Los Angeles; if so, I'd look to join the Golden 1 Credit Union.  Their Visa Rewards card (which I hold) offers 3% UNCAPPED cash back (deposited monthly into a savings account) on Gas/Groceries/Restaurants ex QSR, and Wal-Mart does indeed code as grocery (per my most recent statement).  No annual fee and it doesn't lock you into having to shop at just 1 place (Costco, Sam's, etc) to earn cash back on groceries.

I do a little bit of MS, but I get several thousand in cash back each year from this card.