Author Topic: Sunscreen, or other skin protection, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  (Read 25136 times)

Thegoblinchief

Re: Sunscreen, or other skin protection, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
For my kids, we use sunscreen liberally the first month or two of the summer, but I find we don't stay out long enough to burn once their skin adapts to summer exposure. The past month or more we haven't bothered to apply sunscreen and they aren't burning, even my fairest daughter. I used to insist on swim shirts, but they hated to wear them, so they became a waste of money. Perhaps that will change when they're a bit older and can understand the rationale.

I burn easily on face/ears/neck so I use a wide hat when out, and sunscreen when cycling (haven't gotten around to getting something that fits under the helmet). I personally enjoy wearing wicking shirts in summer, so I'm almost always wearing something rated for protection. Main drawback is that every one I've tried stains ridiculously easily, so they end up looking awful shortly into their useable lifespan. I don't care about that, but others might.

When I worked full shifts outdoors, I relied on full physical barrier: long shirts, bandana around the neck, and wide hat. I got nasty second degree sunburn all over my upper torso once as a kid so I never am outside shirtless.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »
Just read this thread today at work and just now at ralphs loaded up on coppertone water babies on clearance for $7 per

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-some-sun-exposure-will-protect-you-from-deadly-skin-cancer/#axzz3dvuU0wg7

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/16/sun-can-protect-you-against-skin-cancer.aspx

There is growing research that the best way to avoid skin cancer is to expose a large amount of your skin to 15-20 mins of mid day sun to absorb UVB rays (and thus make large amounts of Vitamin D). After about the 20 min mark (or if going outside earlier or later than the midday or sitting near a window) then it's very important to have skin protection.  It's often the UVA rays that we don't think of as dangerous that are really the big threat, so make certain to use broad spectrum sunscreen.  I've done some research and for price/value I go with the Coppertone Water Babies which primarily relies on zinc oxide (although it is not always easy to rub in the skin). Consumer Reports tested it and gave it a high rating for broad spectrum coverage, it doesn't have the potential carcinogens of other sunscreens and is priced normally at about $8/bottle although it sounds like you can find it on sale.   

Remember limited exposure to midday UVB rays is very good for our bodies and appears to actually reduce the likelihood of developing skin cancer, but make sure never to get a burn and use good protection after the 20 mins and at other times of the day.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
34-year-old female here, with good skin.  Every single day, after I wash my face, I put on Aveeno Positively Radiant CC Cream, SPF 30, Fair to Light tinted moisturizer.  Love it!

As for body sunscreen, my favorite is Neutrogena Ultra Sheet Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30.  Yeah, it is kinda expensive, but there are all kinds of sales and coupons throughout the summer and leading into the fall.  I think it does a very good job protecting my skin (don't really know scientifically, but based on visual results), and I like the consistency as I apply it.  One great aspect of it is that it sets in quickly and you're not left with that common greasy or sticky sunscreen feeling afterwards.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »
LeRainDrop I don't mean to pick on you as I hear this everyday at work, but I find it so funny that people have a "face" lotion or sunscreen or whatever, and a "body" version. Like somewhere on your neck there is a line where the skin magically changes. I think this is a very clever and profitable marketing invention to get us to pay 5x more (or 500x) for a face cream.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2015, 03:44:34 AM »
Niva, 30+ sensitive sunscreen. Unfortunately it appears I'm allergic to many of the 50+ sunscreens readily available.

I wear 30+ sunscreen and SPF-rated sleeves when I ride home at 3pm, when the UV is rated as 'extreme' (i.e. 11+)... and it is rated as 'extreme' every fucking day of my life cos I live in Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_index#How_to_use_the_index

I assume I'm going to get many melanomas in my life, since it's "Australia's deadliest cancer" and I'm white as fuck.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »
LeRainDrop I don't mean to pick on you as I hear this everyday at work, but I find it so funny that people have a "face" lotion or sunscreen or whatever, and a "body" version. Like somewhere on your neck there is a line where the skin magically changes. I think this is a very clever and profitable marketing invention to get us to pay 5x more (or 500x) for a face cream.

Hmmm, that is a really interesting point.  I have it in my mind that the real purpose of the face cream is to moisturize in a non-oily way for sensitive face skin (plus, in my case, add a light tint to even my skin tone), with the added benefit of some SPF protection; whereas the purpose of the body sunscreen is to protect my skin from UVA/UVB rays over large area coverage (and is cheaper per volume than the face cream).  But now that you mention it, perhaps this is just evidence that I have fallen hook-line-and-sinker for the stories that the marketing folks are telling us.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
For physical sunscreens (which are often more expensive) you must expect a bit of a white cast to them.

I hate that white painted-on look! For that reason I use a tinted Zinc sunscreen. It's not inexpensive but it's great for facial use.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »
I've all but given up on sunscreen, I'm a heavy kayaker, hiker and beach baby. Instead I've just invested in sun protective clothing. Wide brimmed hats, long sleeve sun guard shirts (or rashguards, the accomplish about the same things) and this wonderful new thing call water leggings. Between all that most of my is covered. If I take care of the clothes they last for years and no goopy lotions or worrying about re-application.
Just a note - I'm a pale, freckle faced ginger. I've had my fair share of bad burns so skin cancer at this point is almost a given for me :)

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »
Like other folks, I prefer clothes to suncreen (and physical sunscreen to chemical).

I really like this OR sunhat: http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-sombriolet-sun-hat?ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW4ncyBIYXRzICYgQ2FwczoxOjMyOmJjc0NhdDExMTEwMTY4&skid=ODR0504-SD-M

I wear t-shirts at the beach (and we have a little tent and umbrella).  I've accumulated a bunch of "performance" t-shirts from races / thrift stores and those work well.  I have a couple of longsleeve synthetic shirts I've gotten as gifts (Columbia Titanium, etc.) that work really well.  I spent 30 days biking on the Tibetan plateau with one of those and never had any sun issues.  I burnt my hands the first couple of days, though -- I wore socks on them until I found a shop that sold gardening gloves.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2015, 02:11:17 PM »

My face breaks out horribly from regular sunscreen.  It is almost an allergic reaction.  I can use certain expensive face specific ones.  I wouldn't waste my money using those on the rest of my body.  And as already stated, I can't use the body ones on my face without misery.

Also, don't forget, you can buy sunscreen w/ your FSA.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2015, 11:51:21 PM »
I am totally ignorant on this, is sun-protective clothing different from normal athletic shirts (nylon?)? Doesn't all clothing protect from the sun?

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2015, 05:40:44 AM »

My face breaks out horribly from regular sunscreen.  It is almost an allergic reaction.  I can use certain expensive face specific ones.  I wouldn't waste my money using those on the rest of my body.  And as already stated, I can't use the body ones on my face without misery.

Me too on the face reaction, rosacea. Body whatever is fine, face, must use, after much trial and error, Kiehls.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »

Me too on the face reaction, rosacea. Body whatever is fine, face, must use, after much trial and error, Kiehls.

Ditto here, and rosacea as well. Face on skin reacts very differently than face on body.