Author Topic: summer trip to wisconsin, michigan  (Read 1718 times)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
summer trip to wisconsin, michigan
« on: April 23, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »
Hey all. I'm going to visit family in July, and the idea is to take my new high school graduate niece on a trip/vacation. Her preferences are either Wisconsin (but not Wisconsin Dells! -[too bad I would totally do the Dells]), or Michigan. She likes hiking, swimming, possibly canoeing etc. So, the preference is a place of natural beauty where we could do activities, but also not a place so remote we couldn't go to a restaurant for food and a beer. We were hoping to stay at either an inexpensive motel or a cabin, and it would be a 3,4 day trip. we will be driving out of chicago western suburbs. I will also be bringing my preteen, teen kids.

Any suggestions? I used to be from the Midwest but it's been a long time. 

Aminul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: summer trip to wisconsin, michigan
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:26:25 AM »
I would consider hiking along Pictured Rocks in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan.  The lake, the rocks, and the trail are beautiful and well worth taking the time to do some or all of the trail.

danakado

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »
You can so all of those things easily in Northwest Michigan, which is not a bad drive from Chicago.  Pretty much anything up the Western coast of Lake Michigan is amazing in the summer.  Places like Saugutuck and Ludington and Traverse City will be pricier but have loads of options. 

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
Empire or Glen Arbor, Mi?  Basically on book ends of sleeping bear dunes.  Also not too far from part of Manistee Nation Forest

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »
I've been looking at all of those places. any place particularly stand out? Or recs for motels or cabins?

skellig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »
Apostle Islands, Madeline island, and Bayfield are awesome areas. The southern Superior Circle on HWY 2 is a good time, and you can go into the U-P (upper penninsula) and camp.

If not there, central WI is a lot of fun, especially the Stevens Point area. The green circle is 26 miles surrounding the city, you can bike/hike/walk. Lots of parks and kitchy stores. And as a college town, pretty cheap food. (former alumna)

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »
Bellaire, Michigan is worth a quick stopover for the beer alone: Short's!  The Jordan River Trail nearby makes for a fun pre-pizza, pre-beer hike.  We've stayed at the Applesauce Inn (a B&B) and the Stone Waters Inn.  Bellaire is a neat little lake town and is somewhat cheaper than Traverse City.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
+1 For the Traverse City area, lots of motels and places to eat there, and numerous neat day trips you could take out of there such as; Leland, the Old Mission Peninsula, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Elk Rapids, Charlevoix, etc.   Beautiful blue water, some call the area the Caribbean of the midwest.

We've got a lake house in the area and spend lots of time up there.   Haven't gotten tired of it yet.   Caution .... Traffic and crowds in Traverse City can be hectic during peak summer season, especially the week of the cherry festival.   I'd probably avoid that week.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »
How far from Chicago are you willing to drive? Would you mind spending $$ on a ferry across Lake Michigan?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »
How far from Chicago are you willing to drive? Would you mind spending $$ on a ferry across Lake Michigan?

My brother will be driving but I will def share all these ideas. I don't want to wait too long to decide so we can't book anywhere.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!