Author Topic: Suggestions for online college credit courses?  (Read 2459 times)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
Suggestions for online college credit courses?
« on: April 10, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »
Hi,

My daughter moved to a new state with her mom less than a year ago.  She is keen to start college at the local comm college but doesn't quite yet qualify for in-state tuition.  Their out-of-state tuition is INSANE. 

So, we're looking into online *for-credit* classes over the summer and fall 2015, and then start up at the comm college in spring 2016.  At this point, any general education classes are okay.  She's thinking of focusing on biology but is unsure at this point (weren't most of us that way at 18?).

Yes I'm searching online, but sometimes courses look great only to find they don't really offer transferable credit.  So, in parallel with our own searching, I wanted to put the question to ye forum members of mighty wisdom!

Any specific suggestions for online college credit courses?

THANKS!

EDIT: As I hit, "POST", it of course occurred to me to head over to reddit.  I found this. 

reddit_lets_compile_a_list_of_the_best_online

We're digging into that :).  But, even so, if you have first hand experience with accredited online learning we'll really appreciate reading your experience and advice.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 06:18:12 PM by Malaysia41 »

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
Re: Suggestions for online college credit courses?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
Avoid ITT at all costs.

The recruiters will claim their credits transfer. They don't. The teachers have a bad habit of giving a perfect score to anybody who shows up for class, which makes it impossible to tell if you're learning anything or doing everything completely wrong. Even their statistics about graduate job placement are bull. They dump their grads on a temp service where most of them get placed in a "job" for a month or two at most before being let go.
Literally any other school would be a better choice.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:10:59 PM »
Look at the general education requirements at the school that she wants to go to. If she can get some of those out of the way, it buys her time to decide on a major. Also investigate their transfer policy and make sure you stay safely within it. You might be able to talk to the admissions department and get some help.

I'd stay away from for profit schools completely.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
Find a community college or public school in the state she moved from. Almost all will have online classes.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 09:40:26 PM »
Look up Oakton Community College. They charge in state rates of $90/credit hour for all online students. I took some accounting classes through them and it was fine. Nothing wonderful, but a super cheap way to get started.

Zx

• Bristles
Treehouse?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »
What about Treehouse?

I read the article that Mr MM did with him and one of the things he said was that the goal of that site was to get someone ready for a full time coding job at 40k annually within six months. If a person was willing to study full time with Treehouse, she could be ready in 2 months.

I signed up for the free 2 week trial last night and will see what I think about it. I didn't find anything that said they help you find work as some colleges and universities do, but that doesn't mean they don't help their students find work. I just couldn't find it.

But anyway, someone that put in the time to get good enough at coding to be able to work a full time paying job would have the motivation and the smarts to hustle their own placement or piece rate work.

The way the system is set up, though, it's almost as if corporations have entered a sweetheart deal with the educational system at large to require a bachelors or a masters degree in order to get anywhere with a, ahem, "respectable" company.