Author Topic: Succumbed to a new computer  (Read 3372 times)

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
Succumbed to a new computer
« on: May 24, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »

My old netbook crashed a few months ago. I'd been limping along on my old one, delaying as much as I could while wringing stoic satisfaction from delaying the inevitable.

But today I gave in. I did some research, and settled on a new tablet, and a seperate keyboard/mouse/base option too.

All up, $550.

The tablet is awesome. The way it works [went for latest Andriod OS]  is pretty much exactly like my phone, it syncronised & updated automatically when I turned it on. But the speed after being forced to use MSExplorer/VISTA for 4 months was heaven.

I figure it'll last me 2 years ++, so straight-line $5/week for this incredible device [I'm old] seems a bargain.

Mustashian?

jpo

• Pencil Stache
Re: Succumbed to a new computer
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »
I would have gone for a desktop or laptop over a tablet. My bet is sometime in that 2 years you'll find something you need to do that the tablet won't support.

And if you're willing to fiddle around some, you might get a nice speed boost installing a lightweight linux installation on your old computer.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »
I sold my Asus Transformer recently. Android on tablets just doesn't cut the mustard (to many little things that annoyed the heck out of me). I'll probably sell my iPad when it gets back from the repairers, and see how long I can go without a personal computer.

But yeah, if you're happy and you can afford it = all good.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »
I sold my Asus Transformer recently. Android on tablets just doesn't cut the mustard (to many little things that annoyed the heck out of me).

It's an Asus Transformer T300, but didn't get the dedicated base, went 3rd party. I know it's just a big phone but it's fast, & it seems to do everything I want it to [browsing, netflix, email, on-the-go entertainment for a 5 year old, video, chess, etc], but note I don't use it for like heavy spreadsheeting or document editing.