Author Topic: Subaru with remanufactured engine; keep or sell?  (Read 2169 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Subaru with remanufactured engine; keep or sell?
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:53:08 AM »
Hello car gurus -- could use your thoughts. 

Long story short -- Subaru is replacing the engine in our 2012 Forester under warranty due to faulty rings/excessive oil consumption.  The replacement short block is remanufactured/refurbished,  and comes with a 12 month warranty.  The dealer says that out of the 120 or so replacements they have done like this, only one replacement engine has failed and needed to be replaced.  Looking at Subaru owner forums on line it looks like a few people are on their 3rd or even 4th engines, but it's hard to tell how often this really happens. 

My understanding is that when they replace the engine the dealer won't zero the odometer, but will put some kind of official sticker in the car indicating that the engine was replaced at X number of miles.

Does anyone have any experience like this with a dealer-replaced engine block, and how did it go? I'm trying to decide whether to keep the car after the engine is replaced and hope for the best, or else sell it.  I imagine I'll take quite a hit on the price once I disclose to potential buyers that the engine was replaced.  Anyone have any experience selling a car with a replacement engine, and how did that go?

Thanks!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Subaru with remanufactured engine; keep or sell?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:35:10 AM »
Why would a replacement engine decrease the resale price? Compared to other cars with the same chassis mileage the one with a new engine is usually more desirable unless you're talking about a collector's car where a "numbers matching" engine preserves the originality of the vehicle. A 2012 Forester is decidedly not a collector's car and never will be.

We bought a 2005 Legacy GT back in 2009 with a toasted motor and ~160k miles on the chassis. We had the engine replaced/rebuilt and drove it for another 40k+ miles with no issues. It only met its end due to a fallen tree across the highway...

Do you like the Forester? Is there a vehicle you'd rather have?

Cole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »
I had a very similar car (2011 Forester) with the same issues and I sold it because there is absolutely no guarantee that Subaru fixed the issues with the motor. I had no interest in having my car down for a month at a time for endless engine replacements. Sell it and buy a way cheaper Toyota - better gas mileage, power, and reliability.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
@RWD -- I like the Forester a lot.  No other vehicle I would rather have -- I just don't want to deal with further engine trouble later on, when it might be on my dime.  Problem is I don't have any real data on the odds of this replacement engine having trouble.  So it feels like guesswork.

I was thinking that most buyers would think the same way and shy away from a replaced engine but maybe not?  Thanks.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 08:51:19 AM »
I had a very similar car (2011 Forester) with the same issues and I sold it because there is absolutely no guarantee that Subaru fixed the issues with the motor. I had no interest in having my car down for a month at a time for endless engine replacements. Sell it and buy a way cheaper Toyota - better gas mileage, power, and reliability.

Thanks, Cole.  Sorry to hear you've been through it too.  Did you sell before or after the engine was replaced?

The downtime/having the car in the shop doesn't really bother me, to be honest.  They're giving me a loaner.  We have a Toyota and I agree they are superior mechanically.  But design-wise in my opinion the Subaru is better.  Which is probably the main reason they continue to sell well even with their mechanical problems.  :)

Cole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »

Thanks, Cole.  Sorry to hear you've been through it too.  Did you sell before or after the engine was replaced?

The downtime/having the car in the shop doesn't really bother me, to be honest.  They're giving me a loaner.  We have a Toyota and I agree they are superior mechanically.  But design-wise in my opinion the Subaru is better.  Which is probably the main reason they continue to sell well even with their mechanical problems.  :)

I ended up selling it before having it fixed. I saw the problem coming and dropped it. If I wanted a similar replacement I would buy an older Highlander.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »

I ended up selling it before having it fixed. I saw the problem coming and dropped it. If I wanted a similar replacement I would buy an older Highlander.

I would totally go for that, but I strongly prefer to drive a stick.  Without a manual transmission, I feel like driving is just an unpleasant chore.  I did see an older RAV4 with a stick recently on Craigslist, so there are a few of those about . . .

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!