Author Topic: Subaru Legacy Airbag Problems  (Read 8533 times)

COlady

• Bristles
Subaru Legacy Airbag Problems
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »
Please give me your opinion/advice -

My 2007 Subaru Legacy with 105k miles has the following issues:

- Passenger side airbag has been recalled in Takata airbag recall - dealer said they do not yet have the parts to fix it due to shortage and could be another 6 weeks. I was advised to not drive with a passenger because they could be injured (I'm not sure how real the likelihood of injury is, haven't don't much research).

- Airbag light just came on yesterday and stayed solid, did not blink. The light then went off when I parked and re-started the car. Based on my limited research online, this worries me because the airbags may not deploy in the case of an accident.

- The radiator lines are leaking coolant and need to be replaced - quoted $300 for this.

- The car needs new all weather tires before winter - looking at around $500 for this at Costco. We live in Denver so decent tires are a must.

- Some kind of gasket (starts with a C, can't remember) is cracking and causing the car to make a hopping feeling when turning. Quoted $500 to fix this.

I am driving around my 15 month old twins in rear facing carseats in this car. We don't drive a lot....we walk most places with the strollers but there are doctors appointments, etc. that we need to go to. This car doesn't work well for the twins so I really don't want to fix it, I want to get a Highlander. I know face punches from this community, but we can afford it. We have no debt other than a $130k mortgage and have $500k in investments. I would probably finance it at 0% and would get one a couple of years old for about $30k.  I'm not looking for input on this - I've already decided on this. What I'm looking for is this:

Is the Subaru safe to drive my kids around in currently with the airbag issues?? Would you drive your kids around in a car like this?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:02:12 PM by COlady »

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
Re: Subaru Legacy Airbag Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 01:46:43 PM »
The car had that airbag issue for the past 105k miles and 9 years but was still driven for all those miles/years. It is certainly safer to have side airbags but they are a recent addition to cars yet people have been driving for decades with their children. I think it's not a large risk especially if you are only driving that car for a limited time because you are getting a new car soon.

I like to refer to this when I think about safety:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/06/07/safety-is-an-expensive-illusion/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:50:17 PM by CmFtns »

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »
The car had that airbag issue for the past 105k miles and 9 years but was still driven for all those miles/years. It is certainly safer to have side airbags but they are a recent addition to cars yet people have been driving for decades with their children. I think it's not a large risk especially if you are only driving that car for a limited time because you are getting a new car soon.

I think frontal airbags in general were a pretty significant increase in vehicle safety. If the dash light is on the driver's airbag and curtain airbags may not deploy. BUT I'm certainly not a vehicle expert and I'm not sure how important airbags are....

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 04:34:13 PM »

I think frontal airbags in general were a pretty significant increase in vehicle safety. If the dash light is on the driver's airbag and curtain airbags may not deploy. BUT I'm certainly not a vehicle expert and I'm not sure how important airbags are....

I must have missed the part where you were talking about your airbag light... It is weird that it would turn on and then turn back off but your main airbags are much more important than the side airbag involved in that recall... I would research it more and find a way to confirm your drivers airbag works.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »
The recall is because the airbags can explode and shoot shrapnel into your face and neck. Nobody should ride in the passenger seat until it is replaced.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 05:36:07 PM »
The recall is because the airbags can explode and shoot shrapnel into your face and neck. Nobody should ride in the passenger seat until it is replaced.

Well I think were getting a little dramatic here... let's not exaggerate the issue

When you do a little bit of research you realize all these cars have been on the road for close to if not more than a decade and of the 37 million potentially affected vehicles across all automakers there have been 139 reported injuries and a much smaller number of deaths. Also this issue is reported to only become a problem when the vehicle is exposed to high heat and humidity for a long period of time which would not be the case in Colorado where I'm assuming COlady lives. And the airbag will not randomly go off for no reason... It will still only go off during a crash but might deploy wrong.

I would venture to say that if you are willing to take the risk of leaving your house and and starting up your car in the morning then the risk that this airbag recall poses would be negligible in comparison.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:42:53 PM by CmFtns »

TrMama

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 05:44:58 PM »
I'm confused. The recalled airbag is in the front passenger seat? Your children ride rear-facing in the back seat? What exactly is the problem?

The types, and cost, of the repairs/tires sound entirely reasonable for a car with that mileage. In fact, the cost of all weather tires for the Highlander are likely to be even more than what it will cost to put tires on the Legacy since SUVs have bigger wheels. You're not going to get out of that expense by buying a new car.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »
I would just like to add I think its ridiculous to put out this recall notice and not have parts. I have put off the recall for 2 months and just tried to get it scheduled. Multiple dealerships said they only get a "few" of these parts a month. At that rate it would take YEARS for all the Subarus in Denver, let alone the entire Front Range, to get serviced. Now I'm supposed to feel guilty about safety until I get it fixed?

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 08:53:29 PM »
I am a Subaru owner subject to that recall and get the same story from the dealer -- I'm on a waiting list for the part and it will be months (if I'm lucky) before I can expect the dealer to have the part to fix it.
I, too, live in Colorado. I think it is absurd to tell me not to have anyone sit in the passenger seat all that time. I've done my research and weighed the odds of anything actually happening and I ride in the passenger seat.
The recall is for the passenger front airbbag. If you airbag light came on then went off again, it could be a glitch and not a sign of a defective airbag -- but I would call the dealer and ask to be sure.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 06:11:39 AM »
Tell the dealer you need a loaner until parts come in. Honda corporate is paying for rentals on their recalled cars, and many dealerships are asking people to sign agreements not to drive the cars at all until they're fixed. Subaru may or may not be as proactive, but you won't know until you ask.

If it were me, I wouldn't drive the car at all. Airbag shrapnel may or may not stay in the passenger seat area in the event of an explosion, and there's no way I'm going to just live with an increased risk like that because Takata wanted more marketshare, and decided to cut corners.

It doesn't matter that "not that many" people have died. A nonzero number of serious injuries and fatalities happened because of corporate greed. This fact isn't in dispute. Why in the hell would you decide to just live with an easily avoidable risk brought on by a third-party's negligence?

In your shoes, I might consider simply replacing the car, between the medium-grade maintenance items and recall.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »
Honda gave a free rental because their driver's side airbags had the defect, and obviously you can't not have somebody in the driver's seat. I don't think they are for the passenger side.

Well I think were getting a little dramatic here... let's not exaggerate the issue

When you do a little bit of research you realize all these cars have been on the road for close to if not more than a decade

She drives a 2007.

and of the 37 million potentially affected vehicles across all automakers there have been 139 reported injuries and a much smaller number of deaths. Also this issue is reported to only become a problem when the vehicle is exposed to high heat and humidity for a long period of time which would not be the case in Colorado where I'm assuming COlady lives. And the airbag will not randomly go off for no reason... It will still only go off during a crash but might deploy wrong.

I would venture to say that if you are willing to take the risk of leaving your house and and starting up your car in the morning then the risk that this airbag recall poses would be negligible in comparison.

The risk isn't huge, it's true.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:16:34 AM »
Let me clarify my issue a bit:

I wanted to get a different vehicle to haul my twins around in before they were born 15 months ago.  My husband asked me to please just wait until we have them and we know what we want, need, etc. as far as getting a new vehicle.... I agreed as twin newborn babies are expensive and I knew we wouldn't be traveling much. Getting a new vehicle was more of a want at that point as I was not aware of any issues with the Subaru.  Fast forward to one month ago and these are my two greatest concerns:

(1) The Takata airbag recall for the passenger seat.  How real is the risk of a passenger being injured? I don't have passengers often but sometimes I do. Are my children at risk being in rear facing carseats? I would think forward facing would be more risky.

(2) My airbag light on the dash is going on and staying on until the vehicle is shut off. When I restart the vehicle it goes off but sometimes later comes on again.  My driver's airbag and curtain airbags may not deploy in the event of a crash. I don't know how big of a deal this is....if I were to be t-boned with my kids in the car in RF carseats would curtain airbags make a big difference??

My husband is trying to push this purchase out for as long as possible, which I was fine with doing until I learned of these potential safety hazards.  I included the other repair information in my original post because it's further support for why we need to get something else. I'm trying to be a reasonable wife here.  My husband is annoyed that I've been (in his words) bugging him about getting a different vehicle. Do I need to just STFU or is it just time to stop delaying the inevitable considering the safety and repairs necessary on the Subaru?

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »
Honda gave a free rental because their driver's side airbags had the defect, and obviously you can't not have somebody in the driver's seat. I don't think they are for the passenger side.

When you do a little bit of research you realize all these cars have been on the road for close to if not more than a decade

She drives a 2007.

a 2007 model year cars are sold in 2006 we are halfway through 2016 so pretty much exactly 1 decade

(1) The Takata airbag recall for the passenger seat.  How real is the risk of a passenger being injured? I don't have passengers often but sometimes I do. Are my children at risk being in rear facing carseats? I would think forward facing would be more risky.

The airbag will still only go off if you were to get in an accident and it is probably unlikely you will get in an accident in the next few years.

On top of that there's the fact that it is extremely unlikely that your car even has a problem airbag because only a very small percentage of the airbags used in cars were defective but it is being recalled because that number is slightly over the defective tolerances what the law considers "acceptable"

On top of that research into the issue shows that even if you had a problem airbag the issue only develops when the car is exposed to high heat and humidity for a long period of time which you should not experience in Colorado

and on top of that you only occasionally drive with people in the passenger seat and your children are seated in rear facing seats in the back seats which is not close to the airbag

I would not worry about it because the risk is far below the other risks we take every day as part of life

I don't think people are realizing how low the safety issues of this recall are so here's 2 statistics:
The fatality rate in Colorado per 100,000 miles driven (around 10 years of driving) is 0.1% or 1 out of ever 1000 people die just from driving
The injury rate for the airbag recall over the past 10 years from 37 million vehicles is 0.00037% or 1 out of 266,187 people that have been driving these cars are injured

correct my math here if you think this is wrong but it looks to me that you are 266 times as likely to die in a car accident then you are to be injured by a faulty airbag
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:46:38 AM by CmFtns »

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
On top of that there's the fact that it is extremely unlikely that your car even has a problem airbag because only a very small percentage of the airbags used in cars were defective but it is being recalled because that number is slightly over the defective tolerances what the law considers "acceptable"

On top of that research into the issue shows that even if you had a problem airbag the issue only develops when the car is exposed to high heat and humidity for a long period of time which you should not experience in Colorado

and on top of that you only occasionally drive with people in the passenger seat and your children are seated in rear facing seats in the back seats which is not close to the airbag

I would not worry about it because the risk is far below the other risks we take every day as part of life

I don't think people are realizing how low the safety issues of this recall are so here's 2 statistics:
The fatality rate in Colorado per 100,000 miles driven (around 10 years of driving) is 0.1% or 1 out of ever 1000 people die just from driving
The injury rate for the airbag recall over the past 10 years from 37 million vehicles is 0.00037% or 1 out of 266,187 people that have been driving these cars are injured

correct my math here if you think this is wrong but it looks to me that you are 266 times as likely to die in a car accident then you are to be injured by a faulty airbag

All of the airbags are "defective." Every single one. They're defective because Takata chose to use ammonium nitrate, and then fake safety data. Ammonium nitrate shouldn't be used in airbags, because it's not stable enough. Certain conditions increase the risk of a bad deployment (heat, humidity), but the underlying problem exists in every single unit, including some of the recall replacements. This isn't a typical recall situation where a problem in manufacturing caused defects in an unknown number of units within a given production run.

http://jalopnik.com/the-complete-story-of-takata-airbags-and-the-biggest-re-1780143347

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »
All of the airbags are "defective." Every single one. They're defective because Takata chose to use ammonium nitrate, and then fake safety data. Ammonium nitrate shouldn't be used in airbags, because it's not stable enough. Certain conditions increase the risk of a bad deployment (heat, humidity), but the underlying problem exists in every single unit, including some of the recall replacements. This isn't a typical recall situation where a problem in manufacturing caused defects in an unknown number of units within a given production run.

http://jalopnik.com/the-complete-story-of-takata-airbags-and-the-biggest-re-1780143347

That still does not change the fact that the injury/mortality rate compared to the number of vehicles with "defective" airbags is ridiculously small

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 03:54:30 PM »
(2) My airbag light on the dash is going on and staying on until the vehicle is shut off. When I restart the vehicle it goes off but sometimes later comes on again.  My driver's airbag and curtain airbags may not deploy in the event of a crash. I don't know how big of a deal this is....if I were to be t-boned with my kids in the car in RF carseats would curtain airbags make a big difference??

I'm not saying you should run out tomorrow and buy a brand new car, but I also do not understand why so many people in this forum routinely pretend like improvements in auto safety are just expensive novelties that serve no real purpose.

Side airbags reduce the risk of death by at least ~25% and ones that protect the head reduce it by 37%. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/side-airbags-substantially-reduce-death-risk-in-cars-and-suvs-those-that-protect-peoples-heads-are-especially-effective

I don't how effective they are specifically for kids in carseats but they are definitely helpful for you.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 04:49:41 PM »

That still does not change the fact that the injury/mortality rate compared to the number of vehicles with "defective" airbags is ridiculously small

And that doesn't change the fact that this isn't some random risk that you can't control. Why the hell would you be willing to accept any additional risk because some asshole wanted to line their pockets? It doesn't even cost you anything, the aforementioned assholes have to pay for it.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 08:02:33 PM »

And that doesn't change the fact that this isn't some random risk that you can't control. Why the hell would you be willing to accept any additional risk because some asshole wanted to line their pockets? It doesn't even cost you anything, the aforementioned assholes have to pay for it.

I didn't say that people should intentionally not get their recall taken care of but people have to actually have the time to schedule/get it fixed and the delearships have to actually have the parts which it seems like they don't or at least have a waiting list... the question here is is "it safe to use my car in the meantime?" and the answer is yes
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:05:37 PM by CmFtns »

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 05:30:29 AM »
I didn't say that people should intentionally not get their recall taken care of but people have to actually have the time to schedule/get it fixed and the delearships have to actually have the parts which it seems like they don't or at least have a waiting list... the question here is is "it safe to use my car in the meantime?" and the answer is yes

The answer is the manufacturer needs to provide a replacement until they have parts. "Don't ride in the passenger seat" isn't a workaround. The cars aren't safe.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 09:08:40 AM »
What world do you live in? There's not enough cars for Subaru to float everyone in Colorado a loaner until they get the parts. At least 1/4 (if not way higher) of the cars on the road in Colorado are Subaru's and probably fall susceptible.... That's completely unrealistic to give everyone a loaner car. What's "right" and actually feasible are not always the same thing.

The risk of using your car in the meantime is almost identical to the risk you were taking before the recall. Nothing has changed.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 11:04:32 AM »
What world do you live in? There's not enough cars for Subaru to float everyone in Colorado a loaner until they get the parts. At least 1/4 (if not way higher) of the cars on the road in Colorado are Subaru's and probably fall susceptible.... That's completely unrealistic to give everyone a loaner car. What's "right" and actually feasible are not always the same thing.

The risk of using your car in the meantime is almost identical to the risk you were taking before the recall. Nothing has changed.

Exactly... and people take risks far greater every day... I guarantee that driving in the rain or snow or at night with a non recall affected car is far riskier than driving in dry conditions in a recall affected car yet people make the decision to drive in bad conditions every day like it's nothing.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 12:03:14 PM »

Exactly... and people take risks far greater every day... I guarantee that driving in the rain or snow or at night with a non recall affected car is far riskier than driving in dry conditions in a recall affected car yet people make the decision to drive in bad conditions every day like it's nothing.

Honestly I'm more worried about the fact that my airbag light is coming on intermittently (and airbags may not deploy) than I am about the recall. Two completely unrelated (I think)
issues.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 04:31:11 PM »

Honestly I'm more worried about the fact that my airbag light is coming on intermittently (and airbags may not deploy) than I am about the recall. Two completely unrelated (I think)
issues.

COLady sorry for dragging out those recall saftey conversations in your thread... Tried to read up about this a little bit and found a few threads on some subaru forums about issues with intermittent airbag lights on legacy model around your year as well as a few other models. It seems a lot of people conclude it is probably loose connections, bad soldering, or some kind of wiring issue causing it. If it were me I would assume that the airbag is working if the light is currently not on and if you ever see the light come on again then you can try to ask the dealership. Apparently you can only read the Error code off the car's computer if the air bag light is currently on so if it turns off after you restart the car then the dealership wouldn't even be able to diagnose it anyway.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/airbag-light-cluster-stays-81274.html
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/airbag-light-153676.html
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122020-intermittent-airbag-light-update/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:35:06 PM by CmFtns »

Ankenystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 07:52:30 PM »
Being a mechanic and working in a collision shop I can say that the whole airbag thing to me is a load of shit. It plays exactly like they want it to because of basic human mentality. For everyone saying the cars are not safe I beg to differ, I have seen thousands of accidents that have deployed airbags that nobody has been hurt, does this mean that yours could be bad, yes, but I ask you this, When it is lightning within 30 miles of your location do you stay indoors for the fear of being struck. You have a better chance of getting into a accident where airbags will not save you than being in one where the airbags are the cause of death.

The same automakers that are telling you that your car is not safe and you shouldn't drive it, are the same ones that tell you they cannot get parts. So where does that leave the consumer.... wanting a new "safe" car. Well call me out if you please but I think its a way they can put the blame on somebody else and sell more cars.

As for the blinking light issue, every time you start the car up the SRS(safety restraint system) module does a quick test of impact sensors, safing sensors and airbags/seat belts. If it is intermittent I would say a loose connector/bad sensor. If it is a belt, that belt wont deploy but every other piece will work, If its a sensor or the module itself, the system will not deploy. All depends on the condition.

If the light does come on, a cheap thing you could do is find a collision shop to run into. Most collision shops are competitive unlike the dealership and will scan the car for you and get you a estimate on fixing it. They are also more familiar with airbag operation and may have a quick fix. It also doesnt hurt to know a good shop BEFORE the accident

Chanel No5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 06:29:06 AM »
I can answer on the Takata Airbag recall as I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla. I did receive the letter from Toyota Corporation saying I had a car with defective airbags. The language is strong and advises the car is unsafe until the repair is done. However, they do not explain what to do about this problem they created.

I called the local Toyota dealer and asked what to do. I had to make an appointment with the service department to look at the car and check ID information. Yes, they said the parts have to be ordered. About a week later, the parts came in and another appointment made for the service to be done at no cost to me. My work place is within 10 miles of the dealership so they provided courtesy transportation to the job. However, they said, the courtesy service ends at 3 p.m. we are not sure we can have the repair done before that, but I left the car at 8 a.m.  I did get a ride back as I was proactive and called.

The service is no cost but you have to make calls and get in line. One major reason I had it done, if I want to sell my Toyota, it's a sales pitch to the next buyer. Yes, the car has been serviced for the airbag recall. The language is meant to be scary and confusing. I would hope if you called Subaru dealership, the same courtesy service would happen for you. Subaru's have a known shorter lifespan than a Toyota.

Best of luck with everything.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 06:45:31 AM »
I can answer on the Takata Airbag recall as I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla. I did receive the letter from Toyota Corporation saying I had a car with defective airbags. The language is strong and advises the car is unsafe until the repair is done. However, they do not explain what to do about this problem they created.

I called the local Toyota dealer and asked what to do. I had to make an appointment with the service department to look at the car and check ID information. Yes, they said the parts have to be ordered. About a week later, the parts came in and another appointment made for the service to be done at no cost to me. My work place is within 10 miles of the dealership so they provided courtesy transportation to the job. However, they said, the courtesy service ends at 3 p.m. we are not sure we can have the repair done before that, but I left the car at 8 a.m.  I did get a ride back as I was proactive and called.

The service is no cost but you have to make calls and get in line. One major reason I had it done, if I want to sell my Toyota, it's a sales pitch to the next buyer. Yes, the car has been serviced for the airbag recall. The language is meant to be scary and confusing. I would hope if you called Subaru dealership, the same courtesy service would happen for you. Subaru's have a known shorter lifespan than a Toyota.

Best of luck with everything.

You lucked out. We have two Toyotas on the recall list, and are being told it will be months before they can get us in. We called the dealership again this week (after waiting over a month) and they told us they get one part in per week, and do not know how many other cars are ahead of us. So meanwhile, we have 2 cars for a family of 4 and 2 passenger seats that may or may not be safe to use. I have been a lifelong Toyota fan, but this is really grating on me. "Don't use the passenger seat" is a solution for a week, NOT months on end.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »

The world where Honda, a manufacturer with a far greater number of cars on the road, is paying for rental cars on recalls. Not knowing about a risk doesn't mean it doesn't exist.