Author Topic: Studying Abroad in London  (Read 3625 times)

Contemplative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Studying Abroad in London
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »
Hello all,

I will be studying abroad in London next semester (January-end of May)! This is an exciting time for me, as I will be traveling outside the U.S. for the very first time, studying at a new university, and interning at a foreign start-up. For any Brits or world travelers out there, what advice do you have? I know that a lot of my experience will require some painful amounts of funding, but I'd like to pack as much value into my semester as possible — so how would a young mustachian study abroad?

Thanks!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Studying Abroad in London
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »
In a nutshell:

- sports night at your university on Wednesdays
- start liking beer now if you don't already
- join a sports team, doesn't matter which as long as they have lots of social events
- get a Boris bike pass
- follow the 6 nations like it's the superbowl, because it is

I was a student at one of the major universities in the Bloomsbury, so feel free to ask me anything, here or by PM. I can give you better information if I know where exactly you'll be going.

London is the tits.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »
Near London, hike or bike the Ridgeway Path: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ridgeway

Contemplative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »
Paul, thank you for your suggestions!

James, I've heard it's beautiful! Sounds pretty long though, any recommendations on how long of a hike I should take?

Does anyone have any recommendations on clothing, especially for the weather?

kt

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:41:16 AM »
enjoy! london is fabulous. housing is expensive compared to other places for what you get but most other things you can find anything from free to stupidly expensive. it just takes a little looking!

have you got housing sorted/provided?

a few ideas of cheaper/free to stuff to look for:
several places (south bank centre, churches, small concert places) have free lunch time recitals.
there are lots of festivals in london which often include free events, for example the london jazz festival.
the south bank often has interesting things going on for free.
lots of the museums and art galleries are free
there are several great parks for walking, regents park and hampstead heath are both lovely. if you like walking also look for the capital ring and london loop, free guides online and they point out unusual things.
in summer there are sometimes free open air film screenings
if you do like beer, have a look for sam smiths pubs (a smaller chain), pint for £2 or less in london.
foodwise, get to know when the supermarket(s) you use 'reduce to clear'; often from around 5 onwards, best stuff generally around 8. i was in the north and there were often cheap fruit/veg stalls around.
look for student schemes, national theatre/opera/whatever your interested in
in summer you can stand at the globe for £5 though you'll need to book in advance as only time i tried on the night or night before it had sold out.

clothing. erm, well in jan it's likely to be 2-10 deg c. and up to around 20 C in may i would've thought if you're lucky! do expect lots of rain. i think layers would be the best way to pack so you can wear more in winter and less when it warmer. for winter/spring i use a hoodie/thinner coat as my outer layer which means i can use either or both to suit the weather.

i'll stop waffling but give me a message if you want more, i also know bloomsbury well.

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »
The best thing about living in the UK is cheap travel. You can get some astoundingly good deals. My husband and I flew to northern Africa from Edinburgh for about 24 GBP (you must check out Ryanair for some shockingly good sales). Once we got there everything was so cheap. We spent a week in northern Africa (in luxury) for about 180 CAD for both of us. If you want to travel, and see more of Europe, now is the time. If you are willing to take cheap transportation (Ryanair), sleep in crappy hostels, eat solely bread out of grocery stores, and make the most out of free experiences (walking around a new city, many museums in Europe are free), you can see Europe for peanuts! My husband and I also did an extensive European backpacking trip and ended up spending less than we usually did living in Toronto. We didn't care that we were sleeping in airports and not eating with utensils for 2 months because the experiences were that amazing. And another thing - eastern Europe is so cheap! Poland (for example) is just a beautiful and amazing as western Europe, and is waaay cheaper. We had our only "proper meal" of the whole trip in Poland, and stuffed ourselves for about 4 CAD for both of us. 

Have a bunch of fun in London! You will love it. Oh, and, eat a donut at Camden market!