Author Topic: How to keep home phone number when moving to cell?  (Read 3331 times)

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
How to keep home phone number when moving to cell?
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:30 AM »
(I apologize if this question has been covered--I did a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for.)

I'm considering getting rid of my landline, but would like to keep the phone number (we've had it for 20 years and brought it from our first apartment to our first home to our second home).  Does anyone know if/how I can do this?

We do not currently have personal cells--both DH and I have cell phones (Blackberries) paid for by work.  So I assume I'll have to get some cheap cell phone plan to move the number to, but am not sure how to go about doing so.

Also, right now we have a phone on each level of the house, so when the phone rings, I can hear it wherever I am.  How do people handle this who  have no landline?  Do you bring your cell into your bedroom at night?  Is it possible to have two phones with the same number?  Or is that expensive?

Can you tell I'm a techno-idiot/phobe?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: How to keep home phone number when moving to cell?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »

It is super simple.  When you get the cell, just ask to have your home number ported to it.

But if I were doing it (and I did) I wouldn't bother with a 3rd number.  I'd just use the 2 cell phones I had and not bother with a 3rd line.  That way when they want to call Mr Matter -- they call him.  When they want to call Ms Matter, they call you.  There is no 3rd "Doesn't Matter" number they call.

There are all sorts of fancy ways you could distribute the old number between your existing phones... but... ask yourself it you really want to or if it is just habit.

As to how we handle it: I have my 8 year old junker phone with me all the time.  If it rings, I answer it.  Wife has her phone.  If it rings, she answers.  If her phone rings and she's indisposed... I just ignore it.  It isn't for me.  It has voicemail.  And yes, we carry them to the bedroom.  We also use them for alarm clocks.  (And I am on call 1 out of 3 weeks, so it does ring in the middle of the night.)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »
Two things. 1) Any MVNO I specifically namecheck as being a good option in the quick list of the Superguide can port over home phone numbers. 2) If you already have two cell phones and you're looking to keep your home phone number and service with it? More wireless service is not going to be your most cost effective solution, and you should probably switch over to a VoIP provider instead. Added benefit? You can either get a small little box that you can tie into the existing phone wiring in your house, but only if you can disconnect the phone line at the box outside your house (otherwise, you'll need a multi-handset cordless phone), or you can just forward incoming calls to either or both cell phone accounts. Again, the Superguide has the info and links you need.

I'm a big proponent of VoIP and a home phone line as a major savings option for families to save on their wireless bills, but you're both getting free service from work on that front, and if they're okay with you using work resources for personal calls, do so. Spork raises a good point, but also be mindful of who actually owns the cell phones and the phone numbers attached to them when it comes time for you to ever leave your job. Are the bills in your names and you're being compensated, or did they issue the things and pay the carrier directly? That should be something to consider with the whole discussion, as well.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
... but also be mindful of who actually owns the cell phones and the phone numbers attached to them when it comes time for you to ever leave your job. Are the bills in your names and you're being compensated, or did they issue the things and pay the carrier directly? That should be something to consider with the whole discussion, as well.

True this.  I've seen varying policies at various businesses about whether you can or cannot take your number with you when you leave.  One place I worked would take your old number (for ease of use) and start paying for it... THEN NOT LET YOU HAVE IT BACK WHEN YOU LEFT.

You could also port your old home number to google voice (or similar service).  It could ring both your cell phones and keep the number under your control.  (But I just have never needed that 3rd number once I left it behind.  YMMV.)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »
You could also port your old home number to google voice (or similar service).  It could ring both your cell phones and keep the number under your control.  (But I just have never needed that 3rd number once I left it behind.  YMMV.)

Google won't directly port landline numbers to Voice, just so you're aware. You have to port to a cellular carrier and then to them. Of course, then the number belongs to Google and you're in a similar situation with ownership of your number with a company who may or may not always let you take your number back in the future. After all, Google is not providing strictly defined telecom services like other VoIP carriers are. Anything they let you do is out of the generosity of their own heart.

It's typically just cheaper and easier to do a VOIP.ms port, pay a couple bucks a month for the DID, and pay by the minute if usage is low.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:30:28 AM by I.P. Daley »