Author Topic: Learn DIY Car Maintenance? North Jersey  (Read 2710 times)

flyingby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Learn DIY Car Maintenance? North Jersey
« on: December 27, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
I recently purchased my first car [2009 Honda Fit 97k] and am interested in learning some car maintenance as somewhat of a hobby and to decrease repair costs as they arise. Does anyone know of a location in North Jersey where I can learn basic to intermediate car repair? I looked into bergen community college but did not find anything.

I realize I can start reading articles and watching youtube videos, which I have done for the and filters/wipers, but I was hoping for more of a hands on experience on tougher items. For example, I don't want to take the risk of putting on new car brakes without any guidance.

On a side note - Any North Jersey folks out there willing to show me a thing or two in exchange for beer and food? 

schimt

• Bristles
Re: Learn DIY Car Maintenance? North Jersey
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
I'm in central jersey, Clark area, and your welcome to come down my way if you want to do any small jobs like brakes, when it get a little warmer out.

But if your interested in hands on training, you should look at county vocational schools. I dont know about Bergen, but Union has a nice VoTech school and they have basic automotive, welding, carpentry, electrical ect. They have night classes for adults too, which is perfect. I know friends of mine took classes in high school and after high school, and the automotive class, they would bring in their own cars or family's cars to do work on them with an instructor, i believe others would bring their cars there to get work like this done free of charge except the cost of parts. I looked into taking a body shop class but never got around to it, and just started playing with my own projects instead.

In the mean time, keep going with video's and articles. You should look for a car forum that specializes in your car, and you will see people posting step by step procedures with pictures, for all types of things for your specific model and year. And they will be a great asset if you have any questions or issues. You would be surprised how much you can do relatively simply with basic tools on a car like the fit or any other commuter.

check out my DIY turbo build that i did completely through self study and communication through the forum in the link. I have an engineering degree, so i was always interested in tinkering, but I have no automotive training.  By the way, that was pre-mustachian days, so i don't suggest anything on this scale, but just an example that a lot can be done on your own.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4148418-VrT-Buildup
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:47:59 PM by schimt »

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »
Don't over think it.  Think about the people who build and work on cars for a living. They're like you and me.  Get a repair manual, study it, follow the instructions, buy the parts, use the right tools.  Compare the side you're working on to the side you haven't touched.  Do front or rear as a set. 

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »
Go on youtube and type in the kind of repair you want to learn along with the vehicle make and model.

There are a lot of very informative videos uploaded there and I've saved hundreds of dollars viewing them.