Author Topic: Student Loan Refinancing Options in 2020  (Read 5309 times)

FinnishingEarly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Student Loan Refinancing Options in 2020
« on: June 07, 2020, 06:00:55 PM »
What are the best options today for refinancing student loans for a person with 5 figure student loan debt at 4.75% in otherwise decent financial health for a young family: 6 figure NW, 6 figure salary, 8xx credit score?   Thanks for the advice.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
Re: Student Loan Refinancing Options in 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 12:00:09 PM »
I've had friends have good luck with SOFI, they seem to have good rates if you are in good financial shape.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »
I've refinanced multiple times with various companies. For me, Earnest has always had the lowest rate, except for one case where .. maybe it was Mohela? offered me a lower rate with a cosigner.

I haven't had any bad experiences with Earnest but it rubs me the wrong way that they're owned by Navient.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »
For me, Earnest has always given the best rates. They seem to base their rate tiers on your NW. While SOFI is more dependent on your salary. I rate check every 6-12 months and Earnest was always lowest rate for us (barely six figure salary, low 6 figure NW, 800+ FICO). I have refinanced with them multiple times (3x for me, 2x for DH) as my NW has increased.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »
For me, Earnest has always given the best rates. They seem to base their rate tiers on your NW. While SOFI is more dependent on your salary. I rate check every 6-12 months and Earnest was always lowest rate for us (barely six figure salary, low 6 figure NW, 800+ FICO). I have refinanced with them multiple times (3x for me, 2x for DH) as my NW has increased.

Do you know if you can refinance within Earnest? I've always had to refinance to a different company, so I've ended up switching back and forth to and from Earnest.

AardvarkPuppies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 01:28:33 PM »
I have used Sofi with good results, as well as a refinance that I found by Credible and was funding through Education Loan Finance - ELFI.  I was able to get down to a rate of 3.39% on $28k.  A huge improvement over the 6.8% crap I was paying to Fedloan!

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »

Do you know if you can refinance within Earnest? I've always had to refinance to a different company, so I've ended up switching back and forth to and from Earnest.

Yes, you can. I did it in Feb or so of this year. It's really easy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!