Author Topic: Hiring a dog walker or leaving puppy all day  (Read 18145 times)

windawake

• Bristles
Hiring a dog walker or leaving puppy all day
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
I have a 5-month-old puppy and just recently got a full-time job after graduate school. I had her for about 3 months before this and my schedule was super flexible, lots of working from home/not working all that much. I'm worried about leaving her during the day. I have, so far, left her for two consecutive 9-9.5 hour days locked up in her kennel. Yesterday I set up a web-cam to watch her and she slept until mid-afternoon when she started chewing on toys and occasionally whining. She hasn't had any accidents in the kennel, though.

I am concerned about leaving her all day. Many people say that puppies are only supposed to be able to 'hold it' for the number of months old they are plus one. So she should only have to hold it for a maximum of 6 hours. I'm not taking a lunch break at work so I can get home as soon as possible, but it takes longer than is ideal. I'd usually bike but being in Minneapolis we've had lots of snow and lots of days with negative highs (-4 today) so the road conditions are terrible for biking (and driving). I have biked a couple of times but mainly I'm taking the bus, which takes longer. It's supposed to warm a little soon so I'm hoping to mostly bike.

Anyways I feel like hiring a dog walker is a VERY unMustachian thing to do, but I don't have any other options for someone to let her out. My friends in the neighborhood all work during the day, and my roommate gets home around the same time as I do. I found someone who will come let her out daily for $180/month. It's a lot of money, but I'm concerned that she needs to be let out during the day. I am considering buying a house in the next year and would hopefully be even closer to work (1.5-2 miles away, whereas now I'm 4.2 miles) so I could bike home on my lunch break to let her out.

Here's what I'm looking for: some advice on what to do, some consolation that it's OK to leave my pup for a workday, something. Thanks.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Hiring a dog walker or leaving puppy all day
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Most adult dogs (1+ year old) can hold it for 9 hours.  Most puppies cannot.  If your pup is being left alone for 9+ hours a day they will likely get into the habit of peeing indoors . . . and that's not something you want to cultivate.  Do you know any of your neighbours who might be able to help you out?  I agree, hiring a dog walker is ridiculously expensive.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
How big is the kennel? Is the kennel outside?
Is there any chance to get some outside area fenced in and leave the dog there?
Do you live in a house or aparment? How big is it?

It is possible to potty train dogs, but if your dog can hold it, that might not be necessary.

I would more worry about the dog boring itself to death. That can result in serious issues, like barking all day, chewing through shoes funiture and doors. It may seem counter-intuitve but you can get a second dog, if you have the space.

On the other hand, it might have been a stupid idea to get a dog in the first place.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »
First off, good that you are crate training him.  They will essentially do whatever they can not to pee in their crate.  Another option would be to train him to go on pads and put his crate and the pad in the bathroom.  But I don't like this plan because then it can be hard to switch them to only going to the bathroom outside.  but I know people who choose this as their option since they can't come home.

Another option would be to find a child of someone (that you trust) in your building (sounds like you are in an apt) and pay them 10$ a week or something to let your dog out.

My dog was about 6 months old when I started leaving him all day.  Before that I would go home over lunch to let him.  The only times I have had accidents has been when he has had diarrhea...ugh thats the worst.  but he probably wouldn't have made it 4 hrs in those few cases.  He's now almost a year old....they grow so fast :(

I would say that if you'd observed him on webcams and he has been fine...he will probably be fine.  I would advise some exercise in the morning just to use some of their energy.

Just make sure you are excercising and doing obedience training yourself regardless of whether you get a dog walker.  A tired dog is a happy owner :)

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
Thanks all so far.

Some clarifying items: my pup and I go for a 30 minute walk in the morning, followed by at least 10-15 minutes of fetch while I'm eating breakfast so she gets a lot of activity. Then she'll eat breakfast/chew on bones while I get ready. All-in-all she's busy for 1.5 hours in the morning, and regardless of whether I leave for work or not she'll naturally go to sleep after this amount of time for at least 5-6 hours. In the evening we always go for a walk, at least 30 min, sometimes longer. And a few times a week we have puppy play dates or dog park time, although this has been less with the bitterly cold weather.

She's kenneled while I'm away and hasn't had any accidents, but it's only been two days. She has toys in her kennel to chew on but it looked like yesterday she mostly slept besides a little chewing and whining in the afternoon. I live in a condo and don't have access outside to let her have a doggie door or anything. There are only 4 other units in my building and I have already pursued the one person who works from home but he's not available/interested in letting her out.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
Honestly, it sounds like you are fine going sans dog walker or paying someone 180$ of month to let it out.

Dogs are usually pretty content just hanging out in their crate during the day.  They just need exercise and mental stimulation, which it sounds like you are giving it.

What kinda of Dog?

and FFS why is it this cold in december?  I'm in St. Paul so I feel ya on the weather.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
How big is the kennel? Is the kennel outside?
Is there any chance to get some outside area fenced in and leave the dog there?
Do you live in a house or aparment? How big is it?

It is possible to potty train dogs, but if your dog can hold it, that might not be necessary.

I would more worry about the dog boring itself to death. That can result in serious issues, like barking all day, chewing through shoes funiture and doors. It may seem counter-intuitve but you can get a second dog, if you have the space.

On the other hand, it might have been a stupid idea to get a dog in the first place.

Meh, I could my give dog free access to the entire 1/4 acre that I have fenced in and he could still develop all of the issues you describe above.  And on top of that I might get a fine from the city due to nuisance barking.

The main way to prevent these behaviors is through exercise, training, and mental stimulation.  And my dog is much less likely to get hurt, eat something dangerous, dig out, get stolen..etc if he is in his 8 sqft crate :)

Pursuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
A puppy is a little animal boiling with energy and excitement, and fervor- just to live. I would absolutely never recommend kenneling a dog all day, every day. It just doesn't seem fair. I would put him up for adoption and wait to get a puppy until you or a spouse can stay/work at home. Your situation is better tailored to cats.

I digress and say dish out the money for the walking if you're adamant about keeping him. Maybe consider puppy day care?

Source: owner of 2 psychotic puppies

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 10:47:17 AM »
I am definitely keeping her. That is not a solution. I will pay for dog walking if necessary. My puppy is very mellow, and she gets enough exercise at other times during the day. Honestly, even when I was home all day she would sleep from morning until evening, usually with one let-out and a little time spent chewing on toys.

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 10:55:28 AM »
A puppy is a little animal boiling with energy and excitement, and fervor- just to live. I would absolutely never recommend kenneling a dog all day, every day. It just doesn't seem fair. I would put him up for adoption and wait to get a puppy until you or a spouse can stay/work at home. Your situation is better tailored to cats.

I digress and say dish out the money for the walking if you're adamant about keeping him. Maybe consider puppy day care?

This is horrible and ignorant advice. Listen to Cromacster, who has had both relevant and knowledgable things to say on the subject, thus far.

Personally, I think you have insufficient data to draw a conclusion. It's been 2 days, and you're monitoring via webcam. Give it a week. If pup goes a week without any accidents, given the amount of exercise she's getting before and after work, I think you're good. If you do need a dogwalker, think of it as a short term expenditure. Once the pup is 9months to a year old chances are excellent that she'll be fine in the crate all day.

-----------------------

So you know where I'm coming from, amongst my many side hustles is dog training. I've also fostered 7 dogs for local rescues over the past two years, taking the dogs from them that no one else would because they had 'issues'. When I do contract work I work ten hour days, and my 2 year old (almost 3 now!) high energy dog does perfectly fine in her kennel. She loves it, especially if we're in a new location. It's a safe space to her. Dogs are den animals by nature, so if you do kennel training properly (which it appears you have) they will likely be as comfortable there than anywhere else. When I don't do contract work (2/3s or more of the year) she hangs out with me all day.

ETA: Pursuit, if you'd like to go into detail about the troubles you're having with your dogs, I may have some strategies that will help. Up to you, of course.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »

Sorry, but you are applying your human emotions to a non human thing. 

Champion show dogs, Military working dogs, Police K-9, your average lassie or Rin tin tin owned by joe and sally all have the ability to spend 8-10 hrs in a crate.  And all of them turn out just fine.  It's what you do when they are out of the crate that counts.  If you just feed it, let it go to the bathroom and not do anything else...yes that dog is most likely going to be off the walls crazy.  I'll say it for the third or 4th time in this thread.  Excercise, training, and mental stimulation...does wonders for a dog.

I have a 11 month old working line German Shepherd.  Tons of energy, tons of drive.  If he didn't receive the proper attention I wouldn't have him because my wife would have killed him.  And yes, he spends about 9hrs in his crate everyday except the weekends.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
Here's a picture of my cutie. She's a shepherd mix, probably some border collie in there too. For a shepherd/border collie mix she is surprisingly calm.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »
Nice!

We have a now 3 year old Australian Shepherd that was an absolute handful for a while. The breeder warned us that even for the breed, this one in particular was going to be a handful. I have a spouse, but we both work during the day and had the same scenario w/ the crate from 3 months old on. Worked out OK for us. The crate is a place that she feels is OK/secure for her to be, and she did what she could to not urinate in it. There were a few accidents over time, but she got the hang of it. I think the webcam thing helps tremendously, because you can see how long the dog is OK for, and see if/when there is an accident, potentially. I think you keep doing what you're doing and see how it goes. Yeah, worst case, get a friend/neighbor/dogwalker to help fro a month or 2.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
Just another opinion on the $180/month.  Out of a 30 day month, 20 of those days are work days which equates to about $9.00/day for the puppy walker yes?  If puppy walker is licensed, bonded and has references then yeah - do it - if even for puppy's first year.

When I worked and worked at locations or in the field (construction) that wouldn't allow me to be home mid day to let my critters out I paid a puppy sitter $16/visit for 3 dogs and 2 cats.  Made about 3x that per hour so it was very well worth it to me for her 1/2 hour visits to my house and for my critter's well being.

Critters are like kids.  They're a bit expensive at times and need a lot of your attention.

Maybe that's just me.  I am such a sucker for a fuzzy face.

Anti-mustachian?  Your choice???  Was she in your budget before you got her?

Not to be rude but, what was your reason for getting her in the first place?  What kind/breed of dog is she?

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »
Awww  You posted her picture while I was typing.  She's beautiful.  Best of luck in your decision.  Shepherd/Border collies are high energy - but you say she's mellow!  (I had one named Oakley, anything but mellow! he was 14 when he went to the 'Great Dog House In the Sky')

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »
Well, being a mom to a 20 months old dog, I'll say my experience was: dog crating, grandmasitting (which we still do) and energy spending does quite well. We also chose a lower energy puppy (he would play a little and go to sleep while his litter mates were still playing and nagging around), which it seems you also got. Observe her for a few extra days. If she isn't okay for now, you can do several things:

1. Get the $180 mo walker.
2. Get a walker 3x week only, instead of every day (if she's okay on her own once in a while)
3. Environment enrichment can go a long way if your kennel is larger than a crate. You won't want to enrich it too much so the dog will be busy all day (sleeping is always encouraged), but maybe change the toys every other day, hide a little gift here and there (like a toy or treat), change the bed place, get her something with the smell of outside. There are easy to do and can keep her distracted for the few hours when she's awake and you're away.

Honestly, you got lucky with your dog, for your current situation. :) Enjoy her! And if you pay the dog walker, make sure you'll only need it for a couple, or maximum 4 months. Reevaluate every month (or even every week), and flex the frugality muscles!

Also, kudos on the webcam. I wish I had thought of that! I only used it to teach the dog not to climb on the sofa when we weren't looking. Wish I had thought of it earlier. :)

Everything in Moderation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »
Treating your dog well is priceless.  I would never leave a dog that long.  Keep looking for a neighbor or kid in your area, and pay for daycare/ dog walker until then. 

If a dog is a priority, then you pay for it.  Cut back in other areas. 

Good luck. 

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
I wonder if there isn't a creative answer to this.  For example, could you find a neighborhood stay at home mom who can walk your dog during the day, and in exchange you babysit for them on Saturday night a month.  (places to find that person include neighborhood list serv or local moms group). 

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
Check out Care.com for your area.

Good luck.

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »
Treating your dog well is priceless.  I would never leave a dog that long.

I disagree (and so do most trainers and owners of working dogs that I'm aware of) with your assumption that these two statements are mutually exclusive.

mrpress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
Our dog was about 6 months when we started not coming home at lunch. He was in his crate all day for a while, then we started letting him roam free and he hasn't had an accident inside in many moons (he's almost 2 now) and never touches anything that isn't "his". You're already doing everything correctly with regard to exercise and training to make sure that she sleeps most of the day. If you have to hire a walker for a few months to let her out, go for it. When she's 6+ months you shouldn't need to do that anymore so it's not going to be a huge expense in the long run.

I'm in a neighboring state to you and it's cold as hell here too so our pup has been without a walk for over a week now. Doing as much indoor exercise as possible to keep him from going nuts. It's supposed to be 25 tomorrow though, woohoo!

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I am going to sign up with the dog walker for now. It'll help me to rest easier at work and since this is a new job I want to show that I'm a hard worker, not just running out as soon as my time is up because puppy needs to go outside. Hopefully I'll just do this for a few months, and once spring comes I'll be biking to work and the commute will be shorter/time she'd spend alone would be shorter.

ljp555

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »
I think that's a good plan. My 3 year old retriever stays in his crate all day during the work week. He sleeps during work hours on the weekends, so I suspect that's what he does in his crate all day (webcam is good idea). Still I think the dog walker isn't a bad idea since your dog is so young.

captainawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
We hired a dog walker when our dog was younger, because we both worked all day and couldnt anticipate our lunch break/work schedule.  Was it expensive, yeah. But now that she is older (3)we just make sure she gets out in the morning and does her business, and play with/walk her at night when we get home.  Occasionally we still take her to a group kennel/"daycare"  when I work and then go straight to grad school.  she gets some pretty good social interaction and comes home super exhausted, and it costs a few dollars more than a dog walker would be for a  half hour.  And to us it's worth the money, mustachian or not.