Author Topic: stuck at home  (Read 2698 times)

Tai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
stuck at home
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »
I'm being forced to stay at home by my employer. I was moved to a new position that requires a physical task that I can't do so long story short I'm stuck at home until they either find me another position I can do or my sick time/disability runs out. Yes, I have contacted the union and will see a lawyer.

I am being paid but I find it very frustrating to be at home when I should/could be working.

So 2 questions, I'm not FI, I have some savings and also some debt. If I do not get another position I will be paid until after Christmas.

So batten down the hatches, save all my pennies, no discretionary spending etc.

1.Do I continue reducing debt full steam as was my plan? Or should I pay minimal amounts (cry) and sock away the cash? Or a mix of both?

2. I'm at home being paid but surely there is something more productive (money earning) I could do? I think I need to be careful not to jeopardize my employment, but something informal? dog walking? babysitting? I don't know when/if I will get called back into work, and I do take night classes so there are those limitations.

I will look around for another job, but at a certain age it does get more difficult. I am taking courses to try and open up some options, but have another year to go.

So you're a smart bunch, throw some ideas my way please! This entire situation is really awful and difficult, and I do enough self punching, so easy in that area please.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
Re: stuck at home
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »
Hi, sorry to hear you're in this tough spot. It sounds to me like you are already doing the right things -- getting in contact with the union and a lawyer, reducing discretionary spending, looking for other jobs, and being careful not to jeopardize your employment with "moonlighting." I question whether the long-term environment will be healthy (or even possible) at your current job if they're intentionally placing you in a job that you physically are unable to do, so I really like the idea of exploring other opportunities.

If you don't already have a substantial "emergency fund" built up, I would hold off repaying debt and hold onto your cash in case it takes a while to work things out at your current job or to get a better job elsewhere. Good luck, it will work out for the better one way or another!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
Okay, if you're possibly out a pay check in December then I would stock pile cash.  Pay extra only on debts that you can pay off by then which would free up cash flow.

Investigate (if you haven't already) what you will be entitled to if you do get laid off/fired/whatever you want to call it.  Unemployment?  State disability?  Food stamps?  Probably not SS unless you are seriously disabled.

Good luck.   

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »
Swagbucks and mypoints are small things you can do while home.  Also, look for ways to cut since you are home, like cutting out prepared food etc.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!