Author Topic: Stroller recommendations needed  (Read 12367 times)

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
Stroller recommendations needed
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Hello fellow mustachians!

We have a new addition to our family and I am hoping to get some stroller recommendations from those of you with little mustaches of your own. If you have used any of the models listed below, or can strongly recommend another stroller, I'm all ears!!

I am currently using a Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat and stroller frame (Thanks Craigslist!) for my little one, but will eventually need a larger (but not too large), functional stroller to accommodate the growing bambino.  I'd like a durable, safe, easy to maneuver stroller that can handle trips to the grocery store, neighborhood walks, and possibly some light jogging.  It would be great if the stroller is compact and lightweight.  I want something that will work well for the next 3-4 years without breaking the bank; however, I'm willing to pay a bit more for a better quality, durability, and ease of use.

Here are models I am considering along with my concerns:
1. Chicco Echo/Liteway umbrellla stroller: durability, bumpiness might be an issue even on walks.  Probably cannot use for jogging

2. Graco FastAction Fold: bulkiness, weight, and durability are of concern

3. Britax B Agile: not suitable for jogging, mixed reviews about baby comfort

Thanks for your input :)

Fugirlrealestate05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Stroller recommendations needed
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »
Look at the Baby Jogger City Mini--a much better choice than the Britax. Plus, you can get the 2012/13 model on clearance now for an awesome price: http://www.pishposhbaby.com/baby-jogger-city-mini-2012-single.html.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 06:08:19 PM »
We're well beyond the stroller years ourselves, but skip the umbrella stroller.

We had a bog standard Graco stroller with four wheels. If you're considering jogging at all, I would get a jogging stroller with three wheels. Just be aware that pretty much all of those only work well when the front wheel is locked, which means you have to tip the stroller up to do any sharp turns.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »
We have the Britax B:agile and it's fantastic very easy to use.  Folding and opening is super easy and it's super dupe light even my tiny gf can handle it.  Sucks that it doesn't come with all the attachements but they aren't too expensive to buy (example the car seat attachement).  Not sure about the comfort but my son slept fine it during neighbourhood strolls.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »
Do you bike at all? Consider a combo bike trailer/stroller to kill two birds with one stone. Biking with kids is super fun, and a great workout. It can really expand your options for going places without burning gas.

My current best with the goblins is 27 miles round trip, but our most common rides are around 19 miles. The city just south of us has a fantastic park that's also conveniently near some nice grocery stores.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
If you want to jog, you need a jogging stroller, and they are big.  End of story.  One option is to pick up a cheap jogger on CL or at a garage sale, and just keep it parked in the garage. 

We got a Maclaren techno umbrella stroller as we wanted to only have one stroller, wanted lightweight, easy to fold, but not as tiny and chintzy as most umbrella strollers.  We loved it.  What we found,though, was that living somewhere that got snow, it was a joke to use anything other than a jogger in the winter.  So we got a jogger that we used for outdoor walks (which we did all the time) and used the umbrella stroller mostly if we were using it indoors like at a mall.  That worked well. 

Then we had kid 2, and got a city mini double, which we loved.  Easy to push, good features, but still light and easy to fold.  If I hadn't lived somewhere with a lot of snow, and did a LOT of walking through said snow, the city mini would have been fine as an only stroller.  Ends up we only jogged with the jogging stroller about twice. 

I then sold my city mini for about 75% of what I paid for it when we were done with it :)

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »
Another vote for the baby jogger city mini!! We got one back in 2009 and it is still working fine for us... and our super-tall (95%-ile) 4yo.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone!  Biking isn't possible at the moment, but when the time comes it would be awesome to hook up a trailer for the kiddo.

I hadn't thought of it but yes, snow is definitely a consideration where we live - probably more of a consideration compared to jogging!  I'll check out the CitiMini (regular and GT) as well as the Britax models.  Is there a huge advantage to having air-filled rubber tires and/or suspension on the joggers, or do these only add a small amount of comfort to the ride?  How do the CitiMini and Britax B Agile solid wheels handle on rougher terrain? 

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »
Our City Mini is OK on grass, gravel, that kind of stuff.  Suspension may be important for jogging... The city mini isn't rated for jogging, I don't think, although (on our model at least) the front wheel does lock.  I am confident it could handle the kind of "jogging" I do.  (More like fast walking...)

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk

Fugirlrealestate05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »
City Mini GT handles extremely well on all terrain. The regular city mini and britax will handle fine as well (just maybe not as smooth). Something to keep in mind, jogging strollers are really heavy and wide, so if you are planning on taking a stroller in/out of the car or shopping, I'd stay away. Baby Jogger strollers also hold their value really well (at least on the East Coast). I actually had a BJ City Select Double that I purchased new in 2010 for $385 new off of EBay. Sold it May 2014 for $400 (amazing right). Purchased a City mini gt for $220 (we were looking for something that was easier to transport). We fully expect to get at least $150 for it in a couple of years. Great value. Plus, there really is a difference between cheap strollers and quality strollers (from a mom of 3 whose stroller was literally our 2nd vehicle).

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 08:27:59 PM »
grab a REAL running stroller off craigslist...like $50 or less. old school baby jogger with 3 wheels, big wheels, fixed in front. wont fold up, just stash it in the garage. needs a hand break and fixed front wheel if you want to actually jog/run safely.

then get a nice nimble stroller for everything else. we love our umbrella stroller but a valco SNAP or baby jogger city mini are also great. check craigslist and snag a good deal. no need to break the bank (and i would much rather get a nicer stroller, used, vs a new graco or the like.)

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »
eta: another option is to just get a bike trailer that also works as a jogger and stroller. go ahead and get the double, you will have plenty of room for groceries. :)

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »
I've been trolling CL for joggers and it looks like I'll have plenty of options, even some old school models :)  If CL doesn't pan out, I'm really liking what I've seen and heard so far about the CityMini GT.  If size/portability are a major issue, I'll look into getting a basic umbrella stroller - but hopefully we can get by with one stroller.  Minimalists here!

LadyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »
I know someone who has uses the Britax B-Agile and she really likes it. It's pretty light for getting it into and out of the car and easy to maneuver. She's using it with the carseat right now, so not sure how comfortable it is for baby once she's out of the car seat.

historienne

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 11:16:38 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone!  Biking isn't possible at the moment, but when the time comes it would be awesome to hook up a trailer for the kiddo.

I hadn't thought of it but yes, snow is definitely a consideration where we live - probably more of a consideration compared to jogging!  I'll check out the CitiMini (regular and GT) as well as the Britax models.  Is there a huge advantage to having air-filled rubber tires and/or suspension on the joggers, or do these only add a small amount of comfort to the ride?  How do the CitiMini and Britax B Agile solid wheels handle on rougher terrain?

FWIW, we live in a snow-heavy city, and even our all-terrain Bob jogging stroller was useless for much of this past winter. YMMV depending on how efficiently people shovel sidewalks in your neighborhood.   That said I agree that you need a jogger if you are going to run with it; I think the air tires add significant comfort, but haven't run with any of the others so can't say for sure.

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 07:07:43 AM »
We definitely saw a lot more snow and ice this winter compared to normal, so I'm sure all-terrain tires wouldn't have mattered here either :)  We usually get moderate snowfall here in Ohio with some heavier storms a few times a year.  I'm thinking it might be easier to ditch the stroller and pull a sled behind me during the winter!

Mr One Wheel Drive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 08:12:26 AM »
My vote is to get a sling. Slings are so much better than strollers because they are far less bulky, your child is right next to you at all times so you can talk to her, and she gets to go around and see the world from an adult height. It keeps both hands free too.

It really helps to bond with your child. When I was at home I would carry her around as well as I puttered about.

For jogging spend the bucks on a good used stroller and you'll be able to sell it back again and get your money back.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »
I love my Maclaren stroller. Friends lent us theirs to try out and I knew I had to have one. Found a used one on Craigslist for $30. They fold up almost as small as an umbrella stroller but are much sturdier and easier to maneuver. Perfect to take in the trunk of the car and great for travel. They are crazy expensive new.

sparklebunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 05:36:49 PM »
The city mini gt is awesome! The first years ignite is a great cheap umbrella stroller too. But if you want a good overall stroller that can handle snow and other terrain get the gt

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »
So...

first kid, had a jogging stroller.  Can't remember the name, about $120. Schwinn? It was great, I walked and jogged back then, but it was big.

second kid, let's face it, I don't have time to jog.  I got a jeep stroller (small wheels).  Link is below.  It's easy to use, smooth, I did even jog a bit with it today because I left the oven on at home.  Whoops.

As far as slings go...I used moby, a ring sling, liked both. Love the ergo.  But let's face it.  I'm almost 44, my little guy is almost two, it wasn't very long before he got too heavy for me to carry more than a couple of miles.  I walked with him last fall when he was about 14 months, but now, at 23.5 months, he's too heavy.

Here's the one I use now:
http://www.allthingsjeep.com/jeep-cherokee-sport-baby-stroller-react-red.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=jeep-cherokee-sport-baby-stroller-react-red&gclid=CjkKEQjw5e-cBRDysazatpTm5b8BEiQAWxTHh8iFDE3wUFxMTZX6GU2_swvjk1wn9mAbzBmPoP1JcLnw_wcB

I also have a big jogging stroller that was free as a hand me down.  Baby jogger?  Rarely use it, too bulky.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »
I had this one: http://www.toysrus.com/buy/full-size-strollers/boogie-3-wheel-stroller-black-2324672

Pricey, but worth it for me. I had no car, and used this to cart my kid on trips of up to 8 miles per day, in ice, deep snow banks, soft snow, wild heat in summer, pouring rain, on the bus now and then. It was great for caregivers from short to tall, because the handle could be set to one's preferred position. This, and its lightness, made it easy even to push up loooooooooong, steeeeeeep hills (of several kilometers) and to navigate in general. He often napped for several hours in it, when he would nap nowhere else (he seemed to be most comfy half-sitting but it has several positions). Carried all our big grocery piles home in it, etc.

I used this for several hours every day from about six months til age 4.5 and a very hefty weight and size, then gave it away -still in good shape- to a mum with no cash to spare.

I bought no other equipment for him -an excellent stroller was the only thing that seemed to me to be of any real value.

ETA: I didn't want to buy one stroller for preemie stage and infancy and then this multi-year one later, so I used only a sling and a used pram for his first few months. Differently from another poster, I did use my stroller to gather groceries throughout the store > no shopping cart. The giant basket beneath rocked for many uses. The stroller was big, but fit everywhere we went. From about six weeks old, my kid was over 99th percentile for weight and from quite early I wasn't able to comfortably wear him while also carrying supplies/groceries for the 8 mile walking trips. Definitely various things -car or car free, etc- factor in to what route to go.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:02:53 PM by scrubbyfish »

Balance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 12:33:59 AM »
We received the Britax B Agile as a baby shower present from my brother. It came with the infant carrier, car seat base, and the stroller. For short strolls on paved roads and for shopping it works great. It packs up easy and has a enclosed canopy for when baby sleeps or if it starts to rain. My wife and I walk at least 5 miles a day and we found that it didn't handle uneven or unpaved terrain very well. If you are a serious jogger I wouldn't recommend this stroller because it's not very safe if you hit any bumps. We ended up purchasing a B.O.B stroller from REI when they offered their 20% yearly sale. It was such a great investment because we walk and jog so much. It is so much easier to go on rough terrain, hills, windy roads. It is great for jogging and running. Since our main form of getting around is walking we found this stroller to be absolutely worth it. It has awesome shock absorbers so that you hardly feel any bumps, it also glides through every terrain much easier than our Britax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 07:22:56 AM »
We did get a soft carrier (a Boba) and am wearing it around the house now since the little one tends to get a bit fussy.  I tried other wraps and slings (borrowed from friends first), but this one was the most comfortable and supportive for my husband, the baby, and me.  We also liked that you can carry older (heavier) children on your back.  For short walks around the neighborhood I won't even bother dragging out a stroller.

I'm really torn between the City Mini and GT models - I guess I could always order one and return it if it doesn't look like it will work, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.  I think the City Mini would be adequate 95% of the time, so it might not be worth the extra $$ to go for the GT model.  I'll keep trolling CL to see if anyone is selling a GT!  The BOB and Boogie looked comparable to the GT so I may need to check them out as well.  @Balance, I hadn't even thought of looking at REI - thanks for mentioning it!

I wish that stores allow test driving strollers before buying.  It would be great to take them for a spin outside to see how they really handle!  Once I'm able to get out of the house in a couple of weeks, I'll check out the different models in-person.

avongil

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
We purchased new Bob. Insane quality. 275$  will sell on cl with 4 years of use for 200 - 175 easily.   New is not a bad option for a quality product.  We got a fixed wheel for free. It was junk. Donated it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Balance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »

We purchased new Bob. Insane quality. 275$  will sell on cl with 4 years of use for 200 - 175 easily.   New is not a bad option for a quality product.  We got a fixed wheel for free. It was junk. Donated it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

This is very true! Before buying our BoB I searched CL for weeks and I found BoB's that we're selling anywhere from 200-$250 used! There was an old one that was totally dented and worn that was still advertised for $175! We bought ours from REI for $289 and it came with 3 accessories which would have totaled $380 retail. We used our once a year 20% off coupon and saved an additional $60. So we payed $230+ tax for a brand new BoB with accessories that we can arguably sell later on for a profit if we keep it in good condition.

I also agree that a baby carrier like an Ergo or something similar is great to have. It's perfect for grocery shopping or doing chores around the house if you are alone with baby. The hardest part is learning how to load baby in the first few times then it becomes easy. Good luck and congrats on your baby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
UPPAbaby!  I loved loved loved my UPPAbaby stroller to death.  So lightweight, so maneuverable, so easy to pack up and carry.  I had the G-Lite (really, so very light!) but they have other models that may fit your needs better.  http://uppababy.com/

wearfannypacks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 01:17:58 PM »
My little guy is 15 months now. I got a stroller at 3 months, because I had a dr's visit by myself with him. He needed a place to sit. Honestly, I've used it maybe 6 times in the last year. They included a trips to zoo and Disney world. Although, for what I paid, I probably would've come out about even had I just rented one.

It seems like a rite of passage in America to have a stroller for a baby. There are a dizzing array of them too. I got all wrapped up in what I thought was the perfect stroller and would notice them at museums and zoos. But then I also noticed how humongous they are and how my Toyota Yaris could never fit one in the trunk.

Another thing to consider. If you are going to a festival or any big public event, strollers are bulky. They are annoying to maneuver in crowds. I've found myself much more mobile wearing my child. And DH wears him too.

Grocery store? Yeah you won't be pushing a stoller in the grocery store. They'll sit in the shopping cart.

Airports? I've flown 12 times with my son. Not once have I brought a stroller with me in the terminal. So much easier to go through security. You don't eve have to have to take you baby off when you wear them through security. I find an empty gate to sit at and let him get the wiggles out before the flight.

K'tan when little, and Boba back carry.

If you are a serious jogger and want to bring your kid, go for it. Otherwise, get a cheap umbrella and be done with it.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »
+1 on the Baby Jogger brand recommedations.  We bought the City Select as we plan to have another kiddo within 2-3 years of the first (it can covert to a double).

Having said that I would also reccommend just getting a Chariot (stroller, bike trailer, jogger all-in-one).  You can find them used on kijiji or craigslist and they really do everything.  If you don't plan on biking, I'd go with the Baby Jogger or a BOB stroller.

Also, a carrier is one of my baby essentials.  We have an Ergo and I highly recommend it.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 02:03:35 PM »
Just added to my earlier post my experience with slings, etc.

DMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 02:24:52 PM »
Ergo is awesome. 

Strollers - we have a bunch.  People hear you are having twins and they GIVE you stuff.  (woohoo!)  We use the city-mini a lot (free) also a no-name brand jogger (also free)

I think look on free cycle and CL for free stuff.  I sometimes think the differences are exaggerated. 

With first kid (the singleton) we bought a used Bob jogging stroller on CL because the brand was so well rated.  Then some neighbors gave us the no name brand double jogger and it's just as good.  And now we do family runs!   

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 08:11:55 AM »
My little guy is 15 months now. I got a stroller at 3 months, because I had a dr's visit by myself with him. He needed a place to sit. Honestly, I've used it maybe 6 times in the last year. They included a trips to zoo and Disney world. Although, for what I paid, I probably would've come out about even had I just rented one.

It seems like a rite of passage in America to have a stroller for a baby. There are a dizzing array of them too. I got all wrapped up in what I thought was the perfect stroller and would notice them at museums and zoos. But then I also noticed how humongous they are and how my Toyota Yaris could never fit one in the trunk.

Another thing to consider. If you are going to a festival or any big public event, strollers are bulky. They are annoying to maneuver in crowds. I've found myself much more mobile wearing my child. And DH wears him too.

Grocery store? Yeah you won't be pushing a stoller in the grocery store. They'll sit in the shopping cart.

Airports? I've flown 12 times with my son. Not once have I brought a stroller with me in the terminal. So much easier to go through security. You don't eve have to have to take you baby off when you wear them through security. I find an empty gate to sit at and let him get the wiggles out before the flight.

K'tan when little, and Boba back carry.

If you are a serious jogger and want to bring your kid, go for it. Otherwise, get a cheap umbrella and be done with it.
I use the stroller in the grocery store all the time.  More often than the cart.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 10:56:55 AM »
I use the stroller in the grocery store all the time.  More often than the cart.

+1.

wearfannypacks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 03:48:29 PM »

+1.

just curious what you get in the grocery store? push one handed while getting your items?

scrubbyfish

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 04:51:34 PM »
just curious what you get in the grocery store? push one handed while getting your items?

Just the same as if I were using a cart, i.e., push stroller (same as cart) to item's location, pause stroller, pick up item, put item into stroller's basket, push to next item's location. Is that what you meant?

This said, the Zooper was also beautifully built for navigating the whole system one-handed as desired, and also had a very accessible and fast brake/unbrake option.

The Zooper Boogie stroller had a lovely huge basket underneath, so I was able to take home everything from giant bags of toilet paper to 4 litre jugs of apple cider vinegar, plus regular stuff.

An advantage to using the stroller to do the actually grocery-gathering was that I would know exactly what was going to fit nicely for my walk home of many kilometres. I could fill it to the brim, yet also not end up with more than the stroller could cart home.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »

+1.

The normal stuff.  Sometimes I have a big shop and I'll use a cart.  But most of the time, I'm getting 10-20 items, and I use the bottom of the stroller. You have to go "heavy to light" - gallon of milk first, then heavy fruits and veggies, bread on top.  But I buy milk, yogurt, canned beans, vegetables, fruit, bagels... Bread can go on the top of the stroller/ sunshade.

Sometimes I stop quickly for 5-6 items on the way home from work, often when I'm out of milk.  Sometimes I walk to the store on the weekend (or the farmer's market) with the kid in the stroller and buy 5-10 items, depending on the store.

I tend to buy most of my items at Trader Joe's, but that still means we have other smaller stops, at least two a week.  So two out of three of my grocery stops are smaller and I use the stroller. 

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »
Yes, we are within 1 mile of an Aldi so we frequently walk down for small grocery runs.  I think having a stroller will make it easier since we won't need to carry the bags anymore :)