Author Topic: Striving to "create" things versus "doing" things?  (Read 1784 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Striving to "create" things versus "doing" things?
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »
I've learned something about myself as of late -- I have this deep need to create things instead of striving for goals and "doing things."

Some examples -- I absolutely love gardens and gardening (exception:  turf grass maintenance) and can devour podcasts and books for hours and dig in the dirt for hours, yet I am not intensely interested in becoming a professional horticulturalist (doing jobs for others).  I enjoy the process, the freedom of it, the LACK of accountability to a schedule, and the total soul-satisfying nature of it.  I enjoy talking about gardens, writing about gardens, taking pictures of gardens -- so in some way maybe that could be useful to someone else -- but I'm not interested in doing the hands on work for pay.  I'm considering getting a horticulture certificate in ER, but only for my personal benefit -- so that I can learn landscape drawing, landscape construction, and can garden full-time for my own enjoyment (and possibly buy stuff wholesale.)  (I also think it would be really cool to grow fruits and vegetables and give them away to a food pantry.)  Let's just say that I am not looking to wow people with my "credentials", but would just be very satisfied to be a really good "gardener."

Example #2 - I enjoy cooking, a lot.  I enjoy cooking classes and programs, visiting culinary institutes, etc.  However, I would never enroll in cooking school or own a restaurant.  I'm satisfied being a really good "home cook", not a chef.

Example #3 -- I run, albeit much less than I used to.  I used to be much more hung up on having "goals," and being on "training plans."  It become stressful.  Now I run 3 days/week, listen to podcasts while I do it, and enjoy the outdoors.  If it's rotten outside I use an indoor track (so I can still enjoy it).

My point is, I'm not the striver I used to be.  Becoming more intrinsically motivated perhaps?  Compensating for my dull desk job/work life perhaps?

I'm just wondering if others have reached this conclusion and how it played out for you before and after ER.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Striving to "create" things versus "doing" things?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »
I have created stuff I enjoy and have no problem giving it away.  Once you start doing it for pay, it becomes work and way less fun.  I've crossed the line with both travel planning and sewing. 

There's a joke among my knitting friends that knitting is like sex.  If I like you, it's free.  If I don't, there's not enough money in the world...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Striving to "create" things versus "doing" things?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »
I have created stuff I enjoy and have no problem giving it away.  Once you start doing it for pay, it becomes work and way less fun.  I've crossed the line with both travel planning and sewing. 

There's a joke among my knitting friends that knitting is like sex.  If I like you, it's free.  If I don't, there's not enough money in the world...
My GF has noticed a flavor of this with her photography (she is a professional and typically charges accordingly).  She's much rather do $500 of work for free as a favor to a friend, than have that same friend give her say, $100 for it as a "friend discount."  Somehow that's worse.

I see it too though with family/friends tech support (I work in IT).  I'm more than willing (for the right person) to bend over backwards and spend four hours swearing at your computer for you, but if you try to give me $20 for the trouble, that somehow ruins it.