Author Topic: Streaming Netflix (or whatever) using a hotspot?  (Read 4727 times)

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
Streaming Netflix (or whatever) using a hotspot?
« on: February 22, 2015, 07:10:50 AM »
Our internet is via a mobile hotspot (Sprint) provided by work, so no cost to me.  I'm sure streaming movies is doable, but am just wondering if it will be optimal.  Will there be stops and starts, etc?  Anyone know? 

nanu

• Bristles
Re: Streaming Netflix (or whatever) using a hotspot?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:24:02 AM »
Optimal, probably not, but it might still work.
Knowing the speed you actually get (www.speedtest.net can check that for you) will help figuring it out.
Borrowing a friend's Netflix account to check would also be a good idea, but you can also try finding HD content
online and try streaming it (youtube for example) and see how that works. If it works fine, than Netflix should as well

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:38:02 AM »
You can stream Netflix using 4G, but it's not great speed so there may be some stop/starting and lag.  I use 4G for my internet purposes and it works fine for my needs as long as I am patient.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:44:56 AM »
Just an SD stream from Netflix uses approximately 700MB of data per hour of video, and there's no such thing as unlimited mobile data. Given the going rate for "unlimited" data gets throttled after only 5GB, you're only looking at maybe three movies a month at screaming most before using up all your high speed access, and that's assuming you use your data connection for absolutely nothing else.

...and let's not even get into the ethical issues of using work-provided tools for personal usage like this.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:48:39 AM by I.P. Daley »

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »
Just an SD stream from Netflix uses approximately 700MB of data per hour of video, and there's no such thing as unlimited mobile data. Given the going rate for "unlimited" data gets throttled after only 5GB, you're only looking at maybe three movies a month at screaming most before using up all your high speed access, and that's assuming you use your data connection for absolutely nothing else.

...and let's not even get into the ethical issues of using work-provided tools for personal usage like this.

You're probably right and sounds like it won't work, which is what I thought.  I work from home and the hotspot is to provide internet in my home.  We don't have any other internet and perhaps I should, they pay for my cell phone service as well (but it's my phone/phone number and if I lose/break it, I have to buy another) and I use that for personal usage also. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:29:48 AM by Unique User »

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »
I have a clear 4G unlimited data hot spot from sprint. I have very little if any issues streaming. It never appears to throttle back. This is our only Internet and we use it all the time. We have had it for 3-4 years.The only issue we ever gave is if 2 people try and stream things at the same time. I don't know if we are grandfathered into anything since clear is now out of business and sprint will just honor past agreements.

I am grandfathered with unlimited data from Verizon and I have never had problems with throttling either.  The cell companies just say that to dissuade you from using it as your sole source of internet service.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 04:38:26 PM »
T-Mobile is truly unlimited - I've gone through 100's of GBs before. They do not throttle. Not cheap at $80/mo but I mean at that price it would make more sense to just have home internet anyway for you.