Author Topic: Possible Carpal Tunnel Issues. Advice?  (Read 1467 times)

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
Possible Carpal Tunnel Issues. Advice?
« on: June 08, 2020, 03:09:26 PM »
Looking for advice from anyone who has dealt with Carpal Tunnel issues.

So I have been having symptoms that look like carpal tunnel for a few months now and they seem to be getting worse the last 3 weeks or so. I went to the doctor last week and she set me up for an EMG, which is a month away.

During the shutdown, I have finally gotten into a good exercise routine. I did half of P90X3 before I decided I'd rather put on some muscle and switched programs. I'm currently halfway through the Beastbody workout from BeachBody and I love it. Today I started wondering if this may be causing some of the flared up symptoms I'm having. It's pretty heavy lifting (for me anyway), and I just found out today that weightlifting can cause/exacerbate CTS.

So now I'm dejected and wondering what to do. I'm tempted to pause the program for a week to see if they symptoms go away. I'm also reluctant to do this because I have been doing so well, working out religiously for 3 months, and I know it will be difficult to start back up after a week off. I'm wondering what I could do as an alternative for a week to at least stay in a routine. Most things I can think of doing use your hands. Also, if the symptoms don't ease up after a week, do I just pick the workouts back up? 

Boll weevil

• Stubble
Re: Possible Carpal Tunnel Issues. Advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 04:16:41 PM »
Look for a book called Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies.

The basic thought behind it is that pain can be caused by muscle problems away from where you are feeling the pain. The analogy I use is an old fashioned bell calls where somebody pulls on a line in one room and a bell rings in another. You’re used to thinking the signal is coming from the operator at the other end of the line, but it’s actually being caused by something in the wall that is affecting the line enough that it causes the bell to ring.

Using it I figured out my carpal tunnel was being caused by a muscle in my forearm, and massaging it has helped a lot.

It’s also currently helping me through some shoulder issues.

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 07:03:02 PM »
Another thing to do is figure out what is ergonomically wrong in your life and take steps to fix it. Make sure your keyboard and mouse are at the proper elevation relative to your body and not too far away. My employer provided me with an Evoluent Vertical Mouse which has helped a lot. For a while I was using a Wacom Bamboo as a mouse at home; I forget why I stopped, but I tried bringing it back and couldn't get it to work the way it was before. I don't know if it's a computer issue or the sensor pad somehow went bad.

Goldendog777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 07:15:39 PM »
I have bad carpel tunnel from years on the computer.  When it flares up, I wear a wrist brace to bed to keep it straight.  It helps so much. 

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »
I have bad carpel tunnel from years on the computer.  When it flares up, I wear a wrist brace to bed to keep it straight.  It helps so much.

💯 this. I have carpal tunnel and when it flares I sleep in a brace and use my mouse with my left hand. It goes away In a few days.

firestarter2018

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 08:29:25 PM »
I would definitely pause the strenuous workout routine and see if it helps. It doesn't mean you'll necessarily have to stop it forever, you just might need to get back into it really slowly (and under doctor supervision).

I get CT in my dominant arm/wrist and one weird trick that helped was training myself to use my computer mouse with my left (non-dominant) hand. Switch everything around and change your peripheral settings so that the buttons on the mouse are reversed.  It was hard at first but that allowed me to just let my right wrist/arm rest as much as possible during the day, since a lot of computer work is actually using the mouse. Definitely also make sure your whole setup is as ergonomic as possible.

Other than that, wrist brace at night, and try deep breathing or taking a walk when it gets really bad. Some of CTS is, to me, psychological, in that I get into that mental spiral of "wow this hurts and it's always going to hurt this bad forever." For most people, it comes and goes. Just remember that a flare is not forever.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 08:56:55 PM »
Switching up input devices can help. Logitech Trackman Marble Mice are ~$27 on amazon. I pick that one specifically because it is also lefty friendly, vs the righty-only abominations. I will admit the scroll buttons are total garbage in windows. I use linux and can turn them into "the mouse ball is my scroll wheel" buttons which is excellent.

Same story with the MS Natural 4k (wired) keyboard I use -- not expensive, but a standard keyboard was making for sad wrists for me [20+ years ago]. I've gone through different ergos, mostly the ms natural variations, this is the currently available and inexpensive one that does what I need.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 06:13:10 AM »
I'll echo the ergonomics recommendations - I occasionally have to do some work that requires a much heavier than average use of my mouse and afterwards, I always feel more pain in my wrist. Same goes for using my phone more than average for a few days.

For me, stretching really helps. I also see a chiropracter (mostly for scoliosis management), but I can tell you that a good adjustment will really diminish pain in a lot of different areas. A misaligned spine causes way, way, way more than back problems.

If stretching isn't enough, and I'm not due for an adjustment for a while, I really like using this device:

https://www.amazon.com/BRACE-RCA-Carpal-Treatment-Support/dp/B00PFUPRQ2?th=1

It doesn't work for everyone, and it seems silly buying a piece of plastic attached to a velcro strap, but it's (for me) the best device I've used to mitigate the pain. Unlike traditional wrist braces which immobilize the wrist, this is designed to slightly compress your wrist bones to alleviate pressure off the nerves/ligaments. It's about the size of a large watch strap and allows you to do anything (including exercise) while using it.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 06:30:51 AM »
Thanks all.  I did start wearing the wrist brace a few days ago. The problem is, it is really cutting into the webbing of my thumb.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BEECTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mental aspect is definitely part of it. My mind tends to go into overdrive about these types of things and start thinking like @firestarter2018 mentioned.  ie. "I screwed something up and now it's going to be like this forever." The COVID has definitely taken it's toll on my mental state.

Thank you for all of your thoughts. Yesterday was a particularly bad day because my forearms are shot from trying to change out a cartridge in my shower handle. I must have wiggled and yanked on that thing for at least 30 minutes to no avail. They are still sore as hell.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 07:35:06 AM »
I had similar issues about 10 years ago. Switched to using my left hand for mouse duty and I am now pain-free.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 07:46:54 AM »
I'll echo the ergonomics recommendations - I occasionally have to do some work that requires a much heavier than average use of my mouse and afterwards, I always feel more pain in my wrist. Same goes for using my phone more than average for a few days.

For me, stretching really helps. I also see a chiropracter (mostly for scoliosis management), but I can tell you that a good adjustment will really diminish pain in a lot of different areas. A misaligned spine causes way, way, way more than back problems.

If stretching isn't enough, and I'm not due for an adjustment for a while, I really like using this device:

https://www.amazon.com/BRACE-RCA-Carpal-Treatment-Support/dp/B00PFUPRQ2?th=1

It doesn't work for everyone, and it seems silly buying a piece of plastic attached to a velcro strap, but it's (for me) the best device I've used to mitigate the pain. Unlike traditional wrist braces which immobilize the wrist, this is designed to slightly compress your wrist bones to alleviate pressure off the nerves/ligaments. It's about the size of a large watch strap and allows you to do anything (including exercise) while using it.

Which particular stretches do you recommend?

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 07:48:07 AM »
Look for a book called Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies.

The basic thought behind it is that pain can be caused by muscle problems away from where you are feeling the pain. The analogy I use is an old fashioned bell calls where somebody pulls on a line in one room and a bell rings in another. You’re used to thinking the signal is coming from the operator at the other end of the line, but it’s actually being caused by something in the wall that is affecting the line enough that it causes the bell to ring.

Using it I figured out my carpal tunnel was being caused by a muscle in my forearm, and massaging it has helped a lot.

It’s also currently helping me through some shoulder issues.

I am 95% positive I have that book in a box somewhere. I read it about 10 years ago when I was having a lot of sciatica issues. I'll have to go dig it up this afternoon.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 07:50:11 AM »
I had similar issues about 10 years ago. Switched to using my left hand for mouse duty and I am now pain-free.

I'm having symptoms in both hands. Here's the odd thing though. I am right-handed, but my left hand is much worse than my right.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 08:00:25 AM »
Switching up input devices can help. Logitech Trackman Marble Mice are ~$27 on amazon. I pick that one specifically because it is also lefty friendly, vs the righty-only abominations. I will admit the scroll buttons are total garbage in windows. I use linux and can turn them into "the mouse ball is my scroll wheel" buttons which is excellent.

Same story with the MS Natural 4k (wired) keyboard I use -- not expensive, but a standard keyboard was making for sad wrists for me [20+ years ago]. I've gone through different ergos, mostly the ms natural variations, this is the currently available and inexpensive one that does what I need.

I've been using the Natural 4k at work for well over 10 years. It is indeed the best keyboard on the planet. I can't believe they still haven't developed a wireless version. I absolutely hate wired keyboards and mice, but I still can't give it up. A lot of the letters are almost completely worn off, but it's still going strong.

At home, from where I've been working exclusively for the past 3 months now, I'm using the Logitech K350 Wave. I bought it because it looked similar to the Natural 4k and is wireless.  It's okay, but not even close to as good as the Natural 4k.

The problem with these keyboards is that they are so large, they take up the entire keyboard/mouse tray so then I have to place the mouse on the top of the desk, which is not ergonomically sound.

The desk I've been using is horrible, and a couple weeks ago, my wife and I decided to order this standing desk.  It will work well for our home office, and eventually be moved into one of the kids rooms when they are further along in school.  The problem is due to the virus it has been out of stock, and they keep pushing the ship date out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2W9Y3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »
I would recommend against that particular standing desk. You can see the (single) motor that drives it. That indicates a few problems:

1) Smaller height range than dual-motor desks (despite being 5'11" tall myself, I like my desk down at 26.5-27 inches because I have long arms. That amazon one only goes down to 28 inches.)
2) Cheaper/lighter-duty/etc. (may not matter for you. I have probably have 100lbs of load on my desk between monitor, PCs, UPS, speakers, networking gear, the desk surface itself, etc)
3) Height memory positions. (it sucks to try to set it to the height you want, especially while working, especially in a meeting, vs just hitting "go to height 3" and being able to keep focus while it changes height perfectly every time for you)

I'd usually recommend https://www.autonomous.ai/standing-desks/smartdesk-2-home or similar. They are also back-ordered it looks like unfortunately. But you get a real warranty, not an alibaba.com warranty. I've seen workplaces order 50+ of them and I think there was one DoA and getting a replacement part was no big deal.

If you're handy, you might look and see if you can get legs-only sooner. Then custom-cut 3/4" oak faced plywood to the size you want. Stain and varnish it and you get a much prettier desk surface than the laminate garbage. Yes, you have the plywood banding on the edges but darker stains do an okay job blending it in.

Wirecutter used to like the autonomous' stuff (I think?). Nowdays they like the Uplift or Fully desks (and didn't bother to review autonomous' at all which seems questionable). I'm sure those're good too, but they are pricier. That said, this is a place I don't mind having paid what I did -- probably close to $1k for the frame and plywood. I also paid that 10 years ago, before low-cost versions came on the scene. Mine is a geekdesk, because that was at the time the least expensive (but still high-quality) option. The other options were the office furniture makers like steelcase, where prices started at 2.5k or more.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 11:47:32 AM »
Find a good occupational therapist and have a consultation.  He or she can both evaluate and recommend what kind of brace, exercise, etc.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »
I am recovering from tarsal tunnel. My PT gave me some tough exercises to do. I found Dr Jo had a few other options that were easier and I could and did do them more often. I am not a PT but I think if you do not stretch it out it gets worse.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ZehQim5ZE

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
Find a good occupational therapist and have a consultation.  He or she can both evaluate and recommend what kind of brace, exercise, etc.

This is really important, speaking as a person who does not have carpal tunnel but has other hand issues. Many people assume that they have carpal tunnel when they actually have a different problem -- often another repetitive stress injury (RSI) or sometimes something totally different (arthritis, etc). A trained OT or hand therapist can be invaluable for getting you the diagnosis and treatment you need.

For my problems, which are related to having ridiculously overflexible hands, I needed to get a better ergonomic setup for my desk work (totally recommend that for everyone, whether or not they experience pain! it makes life so much better). I don't need wrist braces; I need *finger* braces if I'm having a flare up! I also needed to significantly reduce stress. My problems are aggravated badly by stress (it literally causes measurably increased inflammation in my hands and wrists) and managing stress is pretty much the base part of managing my pain.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!