Author Topic: Stories about quitting jobs?  (Read 17347 times)

Healthie

• Stubble
Stories about quitting jobs?
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »
I'd like to hear stories about when you decided it was time to quit a job. I have a casual, part-time job that I'm starting to loath (and a full time job I really like). I'd like some insight from the forum about quitting or taking a break. The job slows down immensely over the Summer and I'd have ~3-4 months without a shift. I work in a community theatre.

The pro's:
-I love 60% of my colleagues
-get to see different productions
-working with the public
-shifts flow with my full time position

the con's:
-overbearing, critical, unsupportive micro-manager
-no considerable friendships built within the team
-a couple people I have worked with lately are grinding my gears

I make 25% more with my full time job, enough to pay my rent, pay off my car and save a little for school. I find the days I need to go in for a shift I dread; and when I work both jobs I can't exercise that day, which is a real bummer. Once I'm back to school I can quit my position and become a casual; so I will still be able to get work if I want it. I think I'm looking for permission to quit.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Stories about quitting jobs?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:59:05 PM »
The only question you have to ask is: if I quit, can I still pay my bills? Sounds like the answer is yes, so you can quit.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »
I have enjoyed quitting almost every job I ever quit. The only one I didn't want to quit occurred because I was moving.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:07:02 PM »
I have enjoyed quitting almost every job I ever quit. The only one I didn't want to quit occurred because I was moving.

Yep. As long as you are financially okay I see no point in staying at a draining job. Life's too short. I walked out of my job and never looked back.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:50 AM »
I find the days I need to go in for a shift I dread; and when I work both jobs I can't exercise that day, which is a real bummer.

Get out. At the very least, look for ways to change what you dislike about the situation (different manager?) and retain what you love.

I left my last company because I had an overbearing micro-manager for a director, stressful interactions with some of the people reporting to me, a giant workload, and basically no life outside of work except for complaining about work. I deliberately searched for a new position that would be easier and low-stress so I could learn to relax again.

I was "no promises" non-officially offered a blank check to stay after I handed in my notice. Nope nope nope. I felt so much happier and more peaceful after I left. As long as you're financially stable without it, leave. You can always find another option. You may also find that it's a wash financially. With the additional free time your spending may go down, or you may be able to ditch the car entirely and find alternatives, etc.

Have you considered posting a full case study to see if focusing on your expenses could yield an equivalent return to the part-time job?

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 06:04:41 AM »
Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but an entertaining thread nonetheless!

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/epic-fu-money-stories/

Healthie

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I sent in my resignation email today, feels good. I read some of those epic FU money stories and for a second I thought about getting into it with my manager, but I don't think it's worth doing at this point. One thing I read that I absolutely agree with is "people don't quit jobs, they quit managers".