Author Topic: Stolen things - file an insurance claim?  (Read 3005 times)

livetogive

• Stubble
Stolen things - file an insurance claim?
« on: March 29, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
Hi All,

I need some advice re: filing an insurance claim.  Some POS cut my steel cable securing my helmet, jacket and pants to my Motorcycle yesterday at my office.  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth filing a claim for it.  I live in a city and use the motorcycle to commute around a lot and run otherwise money saving errands.

Things I lost:
My helmet  ~$500 new  (must replace)
My shield and insert for the helmet  ~$70 to replace  (not crucial to replace now if I don't file)
Half of my bluetooth comms set ~$95 for both  (not crucial to replace now if I don't file)
My jacket - i got it cheap but probably around $200-$300 to replace
My overpants - $200-$300 to replace.

My insurance deductible is $500.

So if I buy it all again i'd be better off by as much as $700 by making a claim.  If I just replace the helmet it's a wash.  Since I've heard rates go up if you file one, should I just eat the out of pocket costs and avoid filing a claim?  If i wait long enough I can probably replace it all for about 2/3rds of what the immediate replacement cost would be (aka spend the same on the helmet but look long and hard to find other gear on clearance), but there's no guarantee.  In the meantime I can't use my bike as much as I'd like, although I still have a bicycle anyway.  For reference, it took me about 2 years to assemble most of my stuff since I only buy on clearance.  I've considered selling the MC for a while but it's one of my favorite hobbies and foregone parking/cab costs with the wife on the back more than pay for gas and insurance.  I currently use it between 2-7 days per week.

And regarding craigslist, I have nothing against buying it cheap and used (except helmets) but after browsing a while I can see that most of this stuff is probably stolen.  There are people on there with 50+ "used" helmets for sale.  Jerks.

fixer-upper

• Bristles
Re: Stolen things - file an insurance claim?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:26:41 AM »
If you're worried about the increase in rates, ask your agent how much they'd go up.  More than likely, it'll be worth filing the claim.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:32:24 AM »
$700? Seriously, file the claim. I'm not sure what your insurance is, but mine was $300 for a year on my Ninja (comprehensive). The rate can't possibly go up that much.

But, if you really want to know before you file, listen to fixer-upper and just give them a call.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:48:53 AM »
Well, stolen items from a vehicle come off of the homeowners policy, at least in my case. (The exception to that are things like a radio that are built in.)

I have made two theft claims for much larger amounts. Insurance went up about $100/year each time.

lackofstache

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:38:40 AM »
This should fall under your homeowners/renters insurance. The items you listed are personal property. Some companies will cover personal property on auto policies, but it usually has a fairly low limit. I'd call first to see how the claim will be handled, but if your deductible ends up being $500, I'd file.