Author Topic: Stepmom coming home from hospital- Favorite Freezer Meals  (Read 1690 times)

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
Stepmom coming home from hospital- Favorite Freezer Meals
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:13:51 AM »
My stepmother suddenly came down with a serious illness for which she is in the hospital. At this point the prognosis is looking positive and they're hoping she'll be able to come home soon but she's going to have a long recovery. I live within driving distance but not so close that I can be there on a regular basis. My dad still works full time and is not a great cook in the best of times so I would like to help the two of them out by making some freezer meals that I can bring them when I visit.

I don't typically make freezer meals so I don't really have any fool proof recipes to fall back on. Can you all make some suggestions for me? Due to interaction with medication, foods high in folate have to be used sparingly- ie: green leafy vegetables (kale, chard, spinach etc), peas, lentils and beans.

ontheway2

• Stubble
Re: Stepmom coming home from hospital- Favorite Freezer Meals
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
I was actually looking into ideas for this over the weekend after a diagnosis my mom received.

I came up with cubed chicken breasts with veggies (red onion, broccoli, squash, zucchini, etc) in freezer bags with Italian dressing or greek marinade. They just need to saute for about 10-15 minutes, so it should be easy enough. A side of frozen roasted potatoes would work well.

Another idea is lasagna or this chicken Tuscan pasta
https://www.rachelcooks.com/2017/03/31/chicken-tuscan-pasta-bake/

There are also TONS of crockpot dump dinner recipes out there

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Stepmom coming home from hospital- Favorite Freezer Meals
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 10:54:32 AM »
In my freezer right now is chicken soup, Chicken/broccoli/rice casserole, honey lime chicken, stir fry chicken, beef stroganoff, keema, lentil/tomato/basil soup, 15 bean soup, chicken tikka masala, pesto chicken, and black bean/turkey enchiladas.