Author Topic: Stay or move?  (Read 2256 times)

d_bodlaki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Stay or move?
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »
Hi MMM community,

I have a dilemma.

We have a chance to move to a bigger house but I can't decide if we should move or stay in our old house. We are a family of 5, kids ages 3,6,9 and our current home is 3 BR and 1 and a half bath (1362 sqft). The home we are looking at is 1800 sqft and has 4 BR and 2 Bath.

We don't have a mortgage on the old home and we saved enough money to pay the difference on the new home so we won't have mortgage on that one either. The new house would be about $2000-3000 more per year in utilities, taxes, insurance. I think we can afford that though I would rather see that money saved then spent. If we don't buy the house probably I will add the saved money to our retirement accounts.

The question is is it OK to make my two boys to share a bedroom - I think as teenagers they would want to have their own space. And to share one bathroom 5 of us - again teenagers will use bathrooms more then the kids currently do. (In our current home we have a basement that could accomodate an additional BR and Ba if necessary.) Where I come from (Hungary) families often have even less place and one bath per family is the norm. So our current arrangement is OK with me (and husband), though I understand that by American standards we are crowded.

I'm not sure what to do. Both options have their merits. Both houses are in the same neighborhood, same schools, same commute and same biking distances. We do love our current home, but probably over time we will love the new home as well.

So if you have an opinion or insight, please share.

Thanks!

Dora

annann

• Pencil Stache
Re: Stay or move?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »
Stay where you are.  Look into a basement renovation when the kids are older only if you find that they fight a lot.  Otherwise just enjoy your home.  No kid needs his/her own bedroom.  My father grew up in a 5 bedroom house with 9 siblings.  My mother grew up in a 3 bedroom house with 4 siblings.  I grew up in a 3 bedroom house with 2 siblings and my son-in-law grew up in a 2 bedroom house with 9 siblings.  Eventually his parents turned the 1 car garage into a bedroom for them.  My parents grew up in houses with no bathroom and the rest of us shared one bath.  Just because folks are spoiled, does not mean you have to join them.  Save your money, become financially independent, teach your kids to appreciate what they have.  Life is good.