Author Topic: Stay or go  (Read 3039 times)

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
Stay or go
« on: December 21, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
I'm a terrible worker.  Being bare bones FI will do that to you.  I currently work full-time for a startup and while I enjoy it, it is still work for someone else, including a 40min. one-way commute that I was able to negotiate down at first, but now is non-negotiable.  When the boss asks you to come in 5 days a week, you can't really say no...

Even though it's really a great job, good pay, fun coworkers, awesomely successful boss.. it's still work.  Doing stuff that I'm kind of ambivalent about at this point.  I don't want to really go into specifics but it's real estate related, similar to a discount brokerage.  My main task is to recruit real estate agents to close transactions for a very low fee.  I am helping my cousin close one and I calculated that after tax, I will make ~$400.  I don't mind because it's my cousin and it'll save him a lot of money, but... that's not really worth it to me.  Yet I'm supposed to be convincing agents that it's worth it to them.

My heart is in selling real estate.  That's what I want to do.  My friend wants to start a team and if I leave, I could join him and help him build the team.  I'd control my work and my schedule.  I'm great at it.  A lender one of my buyers worked with told me he'd been in the business 20+ years and I'm the best he's seen; I saved that client over $10K which more than made up for my commission.

Anyway.  Sorry for the novel.  I've only been at this job for 2 months.  I love startups, and my goal is to eventually just do investing.  I'm young.  My rental income more than covers my expenses, so I mainly work to build my stash for tomorrow and because eventually I want to move out of one of my rentals and have a family.

Thoughts?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Stay or go
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
that's not really worth it to me.  Yet I'm supposed to be convincing agents that it's worth it to them.

If you don't think that what you're selling has worth, you generally won't have much success in selling it.  What is the point of FI money (even if marginal) if you aren't doing work you care about?

What are the negatives on selling real estate with your friend?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:39:46 PM »
I would leave!! Life is too short to settle.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »

None really.  We've worked together before and we both respect each other.  I think I fear more of what people would say.. I don't last a very long time at jobs working for other people.  Though I've been in real estate in one form or another for a while.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »

None really.  We've worked together before and we both respect each other.  I think I fear more of what people would say.. I don't last a very long time at jobs working for other people.  Though I've been in real estate in one form or another for a while.
If you were successful running a real estate company with your cousin, that would quickly become what people say about you, not that you left some previous employer after two months.