Author Topic: stay 12 months holidaying in another country  (Read 1552 times)

kiwiozearlyretirement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
stay 12 months holidaying in another country
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:42:44 AM »
Once I FIRE, I dream of spending a year in another country to live like the locals do and experience all the seasons etc. We will have wealth and be self supporting without needing to work.
The places I like the look of include Italy, France, Iceland, Canada, Alaska.
But all the visitor visas seem too short. Which countries can you extend your time in?
For example:
Europe - shengen zone 90 days only and you cannot reset this by doing a visa run
US - 90 days and you cannot do a visa run to neighbouring countries
Canada 6 months
Malaysia - my second home you can stay for 10 years if you deposit $120000 AUD in a Malaysian bank account

Has anyone got any advice or done something similar?

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: stay 12 months holidaying in another country
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
It's not exactly easy, but my understanding is that Spain has a "Non Lucrative Visa" program that would work. Once you're living is Spain you could freely go to any another Schengen country.

Edit: Just realized you mentioned a limit in the US, so given your username I'm guessing you're from New Zealand: I don't know if the Spanish visa I've read about is available to you or not as what I read was US centric.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:52:09 AM by terran »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:58:01 AM »
Totally depends on the country. Some have long-ish term visas. Here's one that's valid for up to 12 months:
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/long-stay-visa

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 04:20:31 AM »
I know that Italy also has a long term visa.

In the US you can request an extension of stay from USCIS on your tourist visa, if your activities are still solely touristic. It's up to USCIS whether to grant that extension of status, though.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 08:38:32 AM »
Do you have any heritage in any of the European countries? You could try to get a passport there and be free to do whatever in Europe.

I have several co-workers (Brazilians and Argentinians) that were able to get Italian and Luxembourg passports that way offering them free movement throughout the Schengen area.