Author Topic: Stating a website the Mustachian way- help  (Read 7661 times)

teamzissou00

• Stubble
Stating a website the Mustachian way- help
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
Hey all-

I need a super basic site just to advertise my side business.  I tried once using 1and1- but it was $12/month- there must be a cheaper/easier way.

I need my own domain - and I'm not into learning HTML-

Any ideas?  Does apple iWeb let me use my purchased domain name?  I dunno - any ideas helpful. 

All it will be is a few of those headers "contact me, my services, etc"

yOyOYoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Stating a website the Mustachian way- help
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »
You can pay for a godaddy domain name for I believe $1.99 and link it to a google blogger site.  Blogger is not as fancy as Wordpress but can get the job done for free.

There are plenty of godaddy coupons floating around the net.

You can sign up for a blogger account at www.blogger.com

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
Hey all-

I need a super basic site just to advertise my side business.  I tried once using 1and1- but it was $12/month- there must be a cheaper/easier way.

I need my own domain - and I'm not into learning HTML-

Any ideas?  Does apple iWeb let me use my purchased domain name?  I dunno - any ideas helpful. 

All it will be is a few of those headers "contact me, my services, etc"

One very easy way would be to create a Facebook page. It's free, the interface is extremely simple and it will register fairly highly in google search results. You can post updates and connect with customers. Customers who like your page will also see status updates in their Newsfeed when you post. If you do want to advertise the business you can pay to have Facebook ads targeted to a certain demographic, say, males 25-34 living in New York City.

Does that do everything you wanted?

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »
Wordpress still needs hosting- so that costs. Facebook- I can't put mybiz.com on my card.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
Set up a Facebook page like Chuckles recommended, but buy your domain through Gandi.net. That roughly $15/year will give you your domain, email accounts, Whois privacy, a simple to use BaseKit design system for a basic three page website, and blog support.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:10:27 PM by I.P. Daley »

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »
Ok- I'm not tech savvy-  I set up a Facebook page and somehow link my domain ($15/yr) to point there?  Or what?

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »
I know nothing at all about this company, but oddly enough, on my Facebook page after reading your post is a link to some free webpage place thingy called Wix.  I don't suppose it would hurt to check it out.

http://www.wix.com/htmlsites/try-it-love-it?utm_campaign=fb_pp%7Cp_en-c_US-g_m-a_45t64-r_n-bc_lkr-ca_play3pr&experiment_id=6010768644045&ifcontext=cqhr0000000n4o#

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Avoid GoDaddy at all costs.

I recommend namecheap.com. Register your domain name there.

Then, get web hosting at hostgator.com and ask support for your "name server." (aka IP address)

Then, log into namecheap and look for something called a "name server" and input the name server numbers hostgator gave you.

If you do that right, it will direct people who visit your URL to the web hosting space at hostgator.

Then, go to the hostgator control panel and install WordPress on your domain. Once you do that you'll be able to log into your website at www.YourDomain.com/wp-admin to add/remove your content.

Voila. Website. And you do not have to use HTML.

MrD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
I have ran a web hosting business on the side for years now and would be glad to help you out as a fellow mustachian. I would suggest buying the domain through namecheap.com (you can buy from me directly but NC is cheaper) and then buying hosting for me. I can give you an extremely basic package that includes all the bells and whistles at a very nice mustachian price of $20/year. This package includes fantastico which has easy to install blogs/CMS/shopping cart/forum etc. Send me a private message if you want me to set you up.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
Ok- I'm not tech savvy-  I set up a Facebook page and somehow link my domain ($15/yr) to point there?  Or what?

Since you're not very technical, this is why I seconded the Facebook part. Buy a domain through Gandi, use their BaseKit system to set up a "face page" for the domain (which is dirt easy to do - if you can post here, you can use BaseKit to create a webpage), and just link to your Facebook account from that. No paying other people, no dealing with multiple companies (outside of Facebook if you want), no advertising on your site for others, cheap, easy, no nonsense reliable provider and host (I use 'em for Technical Meshugana), you get your email for the domain in the same whack, and you have upgrade paths if you need/want them.

That said, if you're not willing to get your hands at least a little dirty on the technical end, you will have to pay somebody else for what you're wanting either through more expensive services that "simplify" publishing further (though Gandi's gotten it down pretty simple with BK) or hiring a monkey like myself to do it for you.

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »
Wix looked cool- but reviews were bad.  Anyone have experience?

The Facebook idea sounded good, but not sure how to connect my ($15/yr) domain name to my free Facebook page

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »
The Facebook idea sounded good, but not sure how to connect my ($15/yr) domain name to my free Facebook page

Buy a domain through Gandi, use their BaseKit system to set up a "face page" for the domain (which is dirt easy to do - if you can post here, you can use BaseKit to create a webpage), and just link to your Facebook account from that.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »
Strikingly seems very good for a situation like yours. I've bookmarked it for future use.

https://www.strikingly.com/

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »
Strikingly seems very good for a situation like yours. I've bookmarked it for future use.

https://www.strikingly.com/

I love it!  Bummer it costs $12/mo, but love that it makes it easy to get site up

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »
Oops, sorry, I didn't notice about the cost.

kittrad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 03:45:09 PM »
Sorry to bump this up but is there an affordable cost for this recently?

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
Not all websites are created equal.

Let's assume your biz is 100 percent word of mouth and referral driven, then, at a minimum you need something that potential clients can use to find you. It needs to show up in a google search of your name. It needs to have your photo and contact info.

If your biz is not 100 percent word of mouth and referral driven, then your website should build trust, which requires a modicum of design and content.

I suggest squarespace which is $8/month. I think they deliver a huge value, which makes them a mustachian choice, even if, with a little bit of effort, you can find a wordpress solution for $3-4 a month. Squarespace has better hosting and is mobile friendly.