Author Topic: Starting a non-profit parent-led music class for babies  (Read 1555 times)

dreamer8887

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Starting a non-profit parent-led music class for babies
« on: November 03, 2016, 08:52:09 AM »
Hi Mustachians,

I have a 3 month old baby and have been looking in vain for affordable music/rhythm classes that we can join. In my town, these cost around $300 for a semester - ouch!

So I've decided to start my own grassroots, parent-led group. There's a great website I found that provides all the songs (free to use for non-profit groups), a promotional logo, advice on how to structure a 30 minute class - SingWithOurKids.com

I've found a venue - parish hall around the corner - and done up a flyer (attached). I've advertised on FreeCycle and received a couple of donations of rhythm instruments (maracas, shaking sticks). I'm planning to hand out flyers at my local library baby reading group next week.

Here are my questions for y'all:

- this is non-profit and there is no charge. There are no costs involved other than maybe if it takes off I will print a banner, plus the cost of printing some flyers. I'm happy to pay those. It's very grassroots. Do I need to worry about things like liability - would I need parents to sign a waiver to attend the class? I used to be a lawyer, sorry if that sounds paranoid.

- any ideas on how to source donations other than on Freecycle?

- any ideas on how to recruit, especially outside my demographic (which is upper middle class)? My neighborhood (Evanston IL) is fairly diverse economically, especially in my part (southeast). It would be great to get the word out to parents who can't afford paid classes (I can afford them, I just think they're overpriced!) Should I just go post in the local daycares and libraries?

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Starting a non-profit parent-led music class for babies
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »

Here are my questions for y'all:

- this is non-profit and there is no charge. There are no costs involved other than maybe if it takes off I will print a banner, plus the cost of printing some flyers. I'm happy to pay those. It's very grassroots. Do I need to worry about things like liability - would I need parents to sign a waiver to attend the class? I used to be a lawyer, sorry if that sounds paranoid. 

Liability is probably cheaper in the US, but may still be cost prohibitive. Check in and see if you would be covered under the general liability of the Parish hall. Sometimes it is just a matter of how you word or structure things. If you are always going to be at the hall and not planning on expanding right away, falling under the Parish's umbrella may be useful. I'd still get waivers signed, they aren't really all that enforceable, but sometimes just having them can be a deterrent.

- any ideas on how to source donations other than on Freecycle? Check Local buy and sell groups on Facebooks, many will allow you to ask for donations. Check into local music stores and see if they would be willing to sponsor/donate some instruments for advertising. Also look into teaching parents (especially if you are going to be working with low-income parents eventually) how to make their own instruments.

- any ideas on how to recruit, especially outside my demographic (which is upper middle class)? My neighborhood (Evanston IL) is fairly diverse economically, especially in my part (southeast). It would be great to get the word out to parents who can't afford paid classes (I can afford them, I just think they're overpriced!) Should I just go post in the local daycares and libraries?

Connect with organizations offering social services to low-income areas.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Good luck, sounds like an interesting project!