Author Topic: Starting a neighborhood list serv or facebook page  (Read 3828 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
Starting a neighborhood list serv or facebook page
« on: October 13, 2015, 08:00:08 AM »
Pardon my lack of tech knowledge, but I've read several posts on here that have mentioned neighborhood list servs, facebook pages, etc. to help connect with neighbors. I would like to start something like this but don't really know where to start. I have a personal facebook page, so I guess that would be fairly easy. But I only know a few of my neighbors' names, and many are elderly and not likely to be on fb (stereotyping, here.) What sorts of things are posted on these pages? How do I get people to know it exists?

Urchina

• Stubble
Re: Starting a neighborhood list serv or facebook page
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:10:25 AM »
Our neighborhood uses Nextdoor.com. very useful, and a little more secure since a neighbor has to vouch for you in order to get on it.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:15:19 AM »
Our neighborhood uses Nextdoor.com as well. Great site and has helped us all get to know one another a little better.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »
whats on the nextdoor pages

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »
whats on the nextdoor pages

Anything and everything. Anytime a new member joins there is a post announcing that. When there are neighborhood events, those are posted as well. Garage sales, individuals selling items, recommendations, etc.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »
Might start one for my community

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »
Our neighborhood has a Facebook page.  One of the neighbors organized a block party and put a flyer on every door in the neighborhood with details of the party and a link to the FB page.  When new people move in, we let them know about it.

Things that get posted...
1) For sale items (furniture to Boy Scout popcorn)
2) complaints about the post office/"have you received a package for XXX address"
3) complaints about the HOA
4) complaints about dog poop on the lawn
5) social stuff - block parties, monthly poker night, monthly ladies' bunco night, etc
6) links to community events and festivals
7) Links to news items that are relevant to the neighborhood (we have a new road going in nearby)
8) Info about security things - a neighbor had an attempted break-in one day and let the rest of us know

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »
Facebook allows you to set up a private group, which functions like a page. Someone has to be the Administrator to allow neighbors to join & if necessary monitor postings.

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »
My neighborhood uses NextDoor too. 4 other nearby subdivisions are linked in so we can choose whether we want to post to our immediate neighbors, or everyone. Right now many discussions about upcoming town council elections are taking place, and Halloween parties.  It's used for questions/recommendations about contractors, building alerts (road patching, how/when you can access your garage if in the work zone), bulk trash pickup days, etc. There are many posts about missing or found pets. Also, neighbors are vigilent in announcing safety alerts I.e. a car lurking near the children's playground. Ours has a moderator and rules. We can question what our HOA company or Board members are doing but it can't be used for ragging on them.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 07:07:16 PM »
Our neighborhood has a private group. An existing member must add new ones.
The nice thing is your account is still private unless you directly friend people. They can otherwise only see what is posted in the group.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »
Our neighborhood has a private group. An existing member must add new ones.
The nice thing is your account is still private unless you directly friend people. They can otherwise only see what is posted in the group.

is that on facebook or on the nextdoor site