Author Topic: Starting a co-housing rental/group house, how did you do it?  (Read 1887 times)

Habilis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Starting a co-housing rental/group house, how did you do it?
« on: November 15, 2016, 09:11:59 PM »
Hi,

Looking to put together a rental house where I have one room and 2-3 other tennants rent the others. I am a renter myself in a 1BR apartment at present and primarily want to reduce my rent expense, but it would also be nice to have some of the amenities of a house: garage, backyard, fireplace, etc. MMM talked about renting a house then renting out rooms to tennants month-to-month as a great way to save money. I've never done this before and looking to learn from folks who have.

Can anyone who has done this let me know how they did it?

What did you work out with the landlord (many leases prohibit subleases, for example)?

What sort of rules did you run the house by?

How did you find and chose your tennants?

Any other lessons-learned you'd pass on?

Thanks,

Handy

Anagnorisis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Starting a co-housing rental/group house, how did you do it?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:52:38 PM »
Hey Handy!

I've rented a room in my house for the last six years.  This year I moved my bedroom to the office, with a loft bed, and am now renting both my main bedrooms.

I began renting off of craigslist, but didn't have great experiences. Everyone always paid, but there were some uncomfortable behavioral issues.

I use roommiematch now.  The site and service are both a little clunky, but the two roommates I've found through it have been great.  It feels a bit like online dating for housing situations.  There is a fee for the full service.

I have a google doc with a lot of pictures that introduces myself and the house in some detail.  I BCC this doc to anyone who roomiematch puts forth as a potential match.  From there, I'll meet perspective roommates at a public location so that we can get a feel for each other/if we could live together.  If we both think it would work well, I'll have them follow me back to the house.  From there, if things are still going well we will sign an informal roommate agreement outlining rent, due dates and a small deposit. I charge a little less than the market will bear so that I can afford to be a bit picky.

I basically rent month to month.  I ask for two weeks notice to vacate, by either party, anytime during the first two months.  After those first two months, I ask for 45 days notice by either party.

Rules?  No illicit drugs, no smoking of any sort in the house, don't waste utilities, clean up after yourself and keep it down after ten. 

I can't speak to the landlord question, since that's me.

Hope something here ends up helping!

Habilis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Starting a co-housing rental/group house, how did you do it?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 08:27:22 AM »
Thanks, Anagnorisis, it sounds like you've created a great setup there!