Author Topic: Starting a Blog  (Read 4549 times)

windawake

• Bristles
Starting a Blog
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »
Hi friends,

I've started a blog.  Do any of you have your own?  Do you have any advice for keeping on a regular posting schedule?  What sort of things inspire your posts?

I've definitely been inspired by MMM to evaluate some topics of interest in my own perspective, but want to make sure that I can develop my own voice and wit.  I've posted a few posts today that I'd built up for awhile, but it's in it's infancy.

Thanks!

(Not to pander, but if anyone is interested in taking a look at the few rambling posts I have so far it's: windawake.wordpress.com)

Somnambulist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Starting a Blog
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:16:41 AM »
My wife has Multiple Sclerosis and I am helping her to get a blog going. She had been blogging off and on for about two years about what she was dealing with but I've been working with her hard for the last two to three months to put up a real blog dedicated to MS and not just whatever she felt like writing about.

I think the key to regular posting is finding a niche and focusing on it. The more generalized the blog it is the harder it is to focus on particular posts/posting schedule. Right now she is posting once a week and we're trying to build the reader base. We will likely bump that up to twice a week once we have more readers.

I am also kicking around a few ideas for a minimalist/pf/self improvement type blog but I haven't made the plunge yet.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:25:02 AM »
Nice blog windawake! I like the layout (but then red is my favorite color)

Somnambulist, does your wife ever blog about staying frugal while dealing with a serious chronic illness? So many people are fearful of retiring early because of health issues, I would think her insight on the issue would be invaluable.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:08:27 AM »
Windawake, I enjoyed the three posts so far. For some reason I just keep thinking of the Rage Against the Machine song "wake up"... though your writing style  has less yelling in it ;)

I write, every now and then, at www.Krull.ca. My focus has wandered a bit since I set it up. I started the blog simply to have an outlet. There's stuff on marketing, management, and my original aim, helping 'non-programers' use some of the tools available to them better. This came about after helping a lot of people with their access databases...

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »
I have a blog chronicling my journey to FI, and including frugality tips, how I make extra money etc.

my blog is www.themoney-monk.blogspot.com

I try to post during my lunch break. I don't always but I think it's important to update at least 3 times a week, or it's hard to keep any readership (not that I have any..)

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:30:56 AM »
I've contemplated it, but my several forays into the blogosphere have resulted in non-commitment on the part of myself. I tend to write when inspiration hits, rather than on a set schedule, which is not good for developing a readership following.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:19:09 AM »
I started blogging 6 years ago, but haven't been regularly for the past year.

I just started a new one:

http://biodieselhauling.blogspot.com/

In order to free my old content from MySpace (remember MySpace?) and make it easier to navigate.

I know the way to real readership is to find one topic and stick to it, but I just can't do that.  Life is to varied and interesting. 

I originally started writing just as an outlet, but an unintended consequence was this whole thing with my youtube notoriety over living in a trailer and hypermiling my truck, after Faircompaines.com read a post of mine regarding anthropogenic climate change (I argue that the science doesn't back it, but that we still have every reason to make the same changes we would need to make if it were true)

On a related, but totally separate, note, an editor of ecomodder.com just offered me a paid position as a blogger for their site, which is where I learned 99% of the truck mods and driving techniques I talk about in the video and on my blog. 
I am not sure what to say!  My blog has been whatever random topics I come up with.  I don't feel I'm an expert in the car efficiency world.  For a site like that, it seems like more of a journalism position, and I have 0 journalism experience.
The few people I've talked to so far say to go for it, but I honestly don't even know where to begin.

So, in other words, I have no advice, but I will be watching this thread to see if anyone else does

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!