Author Topic: Star of David with cross in the middle to show support  (Read 2559 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Star of David with cross in the middle to show support
« on: October 29, 2018, 04:22:07 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but Mustachians have a lot of knowledge and common sense, so here goes:
I'm a Christian but would like to show support for the Jewish people affected by the Pittsburgh synagogue shootings. I'm thinking about wearing a Star of David lapel pin (they have them on Amazon), but I thought the ones with a cross in the middle of the star might be a way to say "I am a Christian but I support the Jews." What do you think? Or could I just wear a Star of David lapel pin? I want to be respectful and correct.

My son-in-law's Pittsburgh home is very close to the Squirrel Hill neighborhood, and my uncle, back in the day, had emotional problems for years after having to liberate concentration camps in WW II. So it all feels too close for comfort, and I want to show support. I don't know any of the victims or their families personally, but I feel that in a way I do.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Star of David with cross in the middle to show support
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 04:33:08 PM »
I am not Jewish, but I used to live in Squirrel Hill.

I think that many Jewish people wouldn’t be happy with the two symbols combined. I, personally, would wear a Star of David. Or donate money or give blood...

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 04:44:54 PM »
If you wear the combined symbol people will think you are a Jew for Jesus (messianic jew) , which is fine if you are. It doesn't sound like you are though.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:26:32 PM »
I wish this were a pin...

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 05:54:19 PM »
Yes, I love what the Steelers did with their logo. Some of my friends (not Jewish)  are going to start wearing Star of David pins, so I might do that, too. Or send a check if I can find an address where to send it.Thanks for the information about what the cross inside the star means--I didn't know that.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 07:46:54 PM »
It seems like one of each, separately, might be the better way to go than an amalgamation.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
I think the Anti Defamation League might be a good place for a donation.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »
I think combining them is bad form. +1 to the donation idea

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 08:08:32 AM »
Thanks again for all the wise counsel. I honestly didn't know--which is why I asked.  : D

Our local rabbi said in the newspaper that he recommends random acts of kindness--and said to remember that it isn't just Jews who have been suffering from hate crimes recently-- he said to be mindful of what has happened in schools, clubs, concerts, etc.--and to different ethnic groups who have been targeted--Muslims, blacks, Hispanics, etc.--to just do what we can as individuals to fight against this kind of hatred in the world. Good words.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 10:20:22 AM »
Thanks again for all the wise counsel. I honestly didn't know--which is why I asked.  : D

Our local rabbi said in the newspaper that he recommends random acts of kindness--and said to remember that it isn't just Jews who have been suffering from hate crimes recently-- he said to be mindful of what has happened in schools, clubs, concerts, etc.--and to different ethnic groups who have been targeted--Muslims, blacks, Hispanics, etc.--to just do what we can as individuals to fight against this kind of hatred in the world. Good words.

I love that you asked this question.  I love what your local rabbi said.

buggystd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »
Rather than confuse the religions (they are different), I would do the last options Cranky mentioned.

donate money or give blood...