Author Topic: Spreadsheets - A mustachian must have  (Read 7753 times)

payitoff

Spreadsheets - A mustachian must have
« on: June 05, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »
How many do you maintain?

I just realized i have so many and dont stop creating new ones!

1 for FI forecasting
1 for debt reducing
1 for monthly expenses - turns into a yearly rollup
1 for monthly bill payments
1 for future expense forecast 

dantownehall

• Stubble
Re: Spreadsheets - A mustachian must have
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:18:40 PM »
I had about five pre-Mint.

Now just one! :)

hexdexorex

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »
0 i just spend like a college student....and have mint

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
I have a forecast of expenses (and then a comparison to actual expenses).
I have a balance sheet including all assets and including only retirement accounts.
I have spreadsheets that track the minutiae of each of the following:  groceries, gas, gifts, student loans, and utilities.
I have one that tracks my personal net worth separate from our familial net worth.
I also recently created a spreadsheet for tracking income that is not related to our full time jobs.  Otherwise that money seems to get frittered away and I never know how much it is.

Edited to add:
We also use spreadsheets to track information related to our rentals.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
0 i just spend like a college student....and have mint
+1

payitoff

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
Mint and YNAB are great, i have them too but something feels like home when i do things the old way

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »
I have one that I use to keep track of my running mileage.   I simply input the time and the route number (I have previously mapped and measured 4 different running routes around the neighborhood) and spreadsheet calculates pace and miles to date for the month.

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
We have 3 for financials; one for each of our personal (monthly) expenses and a household sheet plus Mint.

There is a household grocery spreadsheet and I also have a separate one to account for volunteer hours, which will go on a school application in the future.  In the past upon my first 'discovery' of Excel it went pretty overboard and I had sheet for nearly everything I could think of!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 01:35:05 AM »
I have a bunch, but I only update two, and then reference another 3 or 4 more that pull from each other and cross reference so that I can do various projections without having to update them.  Probably spend about 15 minutes every month updating one (net worth), and then 30 minutes every 3rd month updating another (tracking spending).  Everything else updates from those two.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 01:56:30 AM »
I have a few to help keep track of dividend stocks that I'm either invested in or researching. I like to pull the information I am interested in from different sources and have it all accessible in one or two places. I update them either weekly or monthly, depending on my own finances.

Speaking of finances, I log into Mint daily. There is something comforting about watching most of the good numbers rise, and the bad numbers fall.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 02:43:29 AM »
Daily seems...obsessiveexcessive.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 03:05:10 AM »
Daily seems...obsessiveexcessive.

You're right.... I probably actually log in a couple times a day! Just keeping an eye out for fraudulent charges, of course.

fishingman88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 04:08:17 AM »
Just one spreadsheet files for me.  However, it does have 2 spreadsheets within that file.  The first spreadsheet lists an overview of my income and expenses.  The second spreadsheet is a comprehensive view of my assets.

I update these once at the end of the month. 

By simplifying my spending (i.e. shopping for groceries 4x a month) it helps simplifies the view.   Too many transactions just make for a headache (even using Mint IMO).

payitoff

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 06:34:19 PM »
I log on Mint more than 2x a day lol  .. yes I'm obsessed

Datastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »
Currently just one file for me, containing a main spreadsheet, a sheet I use to track gift card values, and a general notes page. The spreadsheet itself just tracks the values of my various assets (and one or two liabilities) over time...I'm not currently tracking my spending in any sort of itemized way, really, since I've already pared down my expenses about as much as I can at the moment.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 04:16:33 AM »
I log on Mint more than 2x a day lol  .. yes I'm obsessed

Think of how much quicker those numbers could go up if you spent that time on activities that bring you an income!

I have a 5 main spreadsheets:

Net worth snapshot
Mortgage tracker
Credit card tracker (don't fret, I pay it off every month interest free and pocket the reward points)
1 year rolling forecast expenses
Bills history

Trying to keep it as simple as possible. I used to have a stack of bells and whistles for forecasting net worth with graphs and histories etc but my forecasts were always heavily understated when reality caught up.

I no longer keep net worth history anymore, in an effort to continuously remind myself that "past performance is no indication of future performance".

Past cannot be changed, only the future.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 07:54:13 AM »
We use YNAB, a spreadsheet on AA totals, and an income projection. 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 08:02:53 AM »
I have multiple spreadsheets.  I only update a few regularly: spending (weekly), net worth (monthly), AA (quarterly?)

Some other things that I look at more or less yearly is a tax projection spreadsheet and various budget scenarios.