Author Topic: Spousal Hair Cuts  (Read 7256 times)

FindItFixIt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Spousal Hair Cuts
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
My husband and I need your help to settle a dispute.  My hair needs a trim and I haven't figured out a way that I can do this task myself.  I asked my husband to do this and he refused.
Me: "Could you trim my hair?  It needs 2-3 inches cut off."
Husband: "No, I might screw it up and you don't wear a hat to work."
Me: "You can't screw it up unless you stab me in the neck or cut off an ear.  Besides, I always wear it in a pony tail or a bun."
Husband: "You deserve a professional."
Me: "It's not complicated.  Besides, it's expensive and I would have to drive to the haircutters and back."
Husband: "It's not that expensive.  How much is it?"
Me: "About $18, including tip.  That's expensive for a 5 minute or less trim!  That's $216 per hour!"

And so, we are turning to you fellow Mustachians.  Should my husband trim my hair or not?  I have long hair and the trim would be flat and level.   Also to be noted, I cut my husband's hair.  He has a standard short cut.  Prior to his first haircut, I had never cut hair before, ever.  Talk about an opportunity to screw up a haircut.

UPDATE: Thank you for the feedback Mustachians! Based on the comments below and interviews with colleagues/friends, the answer was a resounding NO to my husband cutting my hair.  However, he did cut my hair.  Results:

My hair is now shorter: win
No money was spent: win
I can do something meaningful with that money no spent such as invest it, donate to a charity, or purchase something I would appreciate: win
No time was spent in auto transportation: win
My husband can do something for me that causes me happiness: win
This something is free to him: win
Hair grows so you really can't screw this up unless blood is drawn: win

This is a 7-win life enhancement and so I consider this a success.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:43:23 AM by FindItFixIt »

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Spousal Hair Cuts
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »
My wife uses a trimmer to cut my hair and it's great. I'm not sure I would trust myself to cut her hair properly. But if she asked me to, I would probably try it, knowing the worst that could happen is she has to go to Great Clips to have it fixed.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
Appears you are giving him a Get Out Of Jail Free card.  If that is true (i.e., you really won't complain at all if he makes a mistake), then he should man up and do it.  Sauce for the goose, etc.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »
Just a thought: If you have long hair, could you cut it yourself by the ponytail method or whatever…like all those tutorials they have on Youtube?

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »
Ask a girlfriend to cut it for you. 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 05:46:22 PM »
I do my own with a flowbee.  Just started that this year.  I have been doing the Hub's with clippers for 20 years but he doesn't want to mess with mine because he too is scared of messing it up.  Thought about it a while and concluded that buying a flowbee would create less stress.

The Borgs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 06:08:35 PM »
I cut most of mine myself, my husband helps with lumps from the back (I have a short choppy cropped style).

It made him more nervous the first few times, until he realised that I'd often come back from the hairdressers non too thrilled, yet $60 lighter and that the difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is about 2 weeks. It's hair, it grows back. If it's long you can tie it up and hide it. It's the ultimate task that allows you to practice, to mess up and redo.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
My wife cuts my hair. I have offered to cut hers, but she refuses...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
I've posted this link in another thread, but this is how I cut my own hair: http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/ (DIY #1).

Been doing it this way for about 18months, and it holds up even under the scrutiny of my 13 to 15 year old students at school.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 12:21:42 AM »
Thanks for the link, Nudelkopf!

Just spent about 30 minutes reading there and am recommitted to going no-poo/sham-free. Did this for 6 months with great success last year, until I was laid up with a serious injury and had to simplify life by using standard issue shampoo.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 07:14:42 AM »
My husband cuts my hair.  When it was long, he would just brush it all straight down my back and cut straight across.  Well, mostly straight across.  He's had to make corrections to a sloping cut multiple times, but it wasn't a big deal.

Last year, I got a pixie cut.  Using the highly reviewed "Tinkle Haircutter" on Amazon, he has maintained it on a few occasions.  I got it professionally cut just once 6 months after the initial cut.  Then a couple months ago, we decided to go a bit edgier and he used the clipper thing he uses for his own hair to give me a pretty severe undercut, and I love it.  It's all worked out pretty well, I don't think I'll be back at a salon again for a long time.  He gets better and better at it, and I'm also not as hesitant to communicate what I want, if it appears to be different from what he is doing.  I was the type that was never happy with a haircut, and now I never have complaints.

Terrestrial

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 07:39:26 AM »
I cut my own and my wife helps me clean up the back and such.  For a man it's easy with clippers.

That said, I am going to side with your husband.  I would NOT cut my wife's hair...even simple straight across the back.  His reasoning is totally valid to me, if by some chance I messed up, I would be TERRIFIED of doing that to my wife's hair.   Happy wife = happy life.  Messed up hair = Very NOT happy wife. 

I second everybody who said ask a girlfriend/mom/sister to come over for a glass of wine and do it, if it's a 3 minute straight cut.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 07:53:41 AM »
I cut my own hair.  It is long, which I think is easier.  I like to have it shorter in the back than the front so I put it in a super high ponytail and then chop it.  It looks better than most stylists can do.  I cut my husband's hair which is really hard.  I messed it up the first few times, but am finally getting the hang of it. 

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
I would have a hard time cutting my wife's hair.  It would certainly have to be long enough that mistakes could be fixed.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 10:14:02 AM »
I had a very similar conversation with my husband last month, except I spend a lot more on a hair cut.  Well, I used to.  I cut my hair myself after watching a few videos on youtube recommended by other forum members.  My hair looks great! 

My DH is still insistent that he won't cut my hair.  However, one of my friends has offered to cut it the next time.  She seems pretty excited about it too. 

Cut your hair.  You can do it.  Don't put the pressure on your DH.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!