Author Topic: Spend extra for first class?  (Read 3646 times)

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
Spend extra for first class?
« on: September 11, 2017, 06:11:11 AM »
OK, I'm flying from Baltimore to Dallas to Salt Lake and back next month and was trying to buy 2 tickets this weekend that would give me a window seat in front of the wing. I am very prone to motion sickness and claustrophobic. I flew 4 1/2 years ago without puking but was pretty freaked out. The issue is it looks like they charge extra to pick seats and it could be almost as expensive as first class. We will have 1 bag that would fit under the seat and 1 carryon, 2 if we though we could do it without issue. Should I suck it up to save $800 - $900, this is a very high anxiety issue for me. This is to see relatives, I don't have enough time off to drive, and I really want to go.

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Spend extra for first class?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:34:55 AM »
Any chance of better living through medication, either for the motion sickness or the anxiety or both?

Blackhawk8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 06:55:12 AM »
If you really want to fly first class then I'd so go for it, but I don't know if it will necessarily solve your problem. If you're anything like my girlfriend, the motion sickness is 80% in your head. You'll be miserable if you sit down and think about every tiny bump during the flight so your best bet is to keep yourself occupied. I would download a movie that you've been wanting to see and watch that. Definitely open the air vent and point it right at you... you may get a little cold so having a sweatshirt isn't a bad idea. Also, look into ginger pills - these seem to work for my girlfriend. Have a great trip!

May2030

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
Worth trying a inexpensive motion sickness wrist band. Have seen a guy go from being sick every flight to totally fine. I get motion sickness very easily ever since having bad sea sickness a few years ago. Practicing relaxation techniques, eating a light meal well before the flight and not reading until in the cruise has solved it.

If you don't like flying the experience will be very similar what ever you pay. I would save the money and treat yourself to something nice when you arrive as reward.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:41:34 AM »
I find that chewing raw ginger works better than pills. Not only do you get the medication effect, you are also so occupied with your mouth burning and the horrible taste, that you forget to get motion sickness. Sounds stupid, but works.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:57:12 AM »
I don't think first class is going to solve the problem you have.

I'd recommend talking to your doctor about medication.

When I was pregnant and getting extremely sick on planes (I fly frequently for work)- chewing sour patch kids really helped.

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »
Thanks, the better living through medication sounds like the best route, also I have not tried ginger or the wristband, which are much cheaper than first class. I guess for almost $1000 I'm willing to potentially suffer through it.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
I agree with the other that it doesn't sound like a first class seat will help your specific issues.

Have you ever tried Dramamine? That what my XH, who had pretty bad motion sickness, used to use when we travelled.  He said it didn't take away all the symptoms, but it did keep him from getting physically sick.  I know he used a wristband device at least once, but I don't remember the outcome.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »
Ask your doctor but ginger does work. Get the concentrated tablets. Pretreat, toss some more in when you're about to taxi, and take more at midpoint and before landing. You've got to get ahead of it, though -- if you're feeling sick, taking ginger will help but you're in a world of hurt until it kicks in.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
Dramamine!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »
Dramamine and deep breathing
and a little bottle of vodka maybe ;)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »
I also have to have a window seat on flights due to severe motion sickness, and don't pay extra to pre-select window seat.

Some things that have worked for me:
1) Select a window seat during online check-in for no fee (check-in asap once it's 1 day prior for more seat options)
2) If you can't get a window during online check-in, take the pre-assigned seat and ask for a window seat reassignment at the gate. Especially if you have a doctor's note, but even if not, this is usually no problem (depends on airline)
3) Board last, and simply sit in an open window seat if flight is not full. Seats are often reassigned last minute anyway. If asked, you can either play dumb or tell the flight attendant you need a window seat for health reasons (they definitely don't want anyone getting sick during flight).

Ginger actually makes me nauseous, citrus has helped though, I always take some clementines along. Good luck!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
Also forgot to add, be sure to move around, keep circulation going (move your legs while sitting), drink water, listen to relaxing music, meditate, or whatever calms you. Try out the ginger well in advance to gauge your reaction since not everyone responds positively to it. I'm on planes regularly and don't spend a fortune, you can definitely fly successfully and frugally with motion sickness :)

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 11:38:13 AM »
If this is a high stress environment for you and you can afford it to make yourself feel better, go for it!

I usually check out the rates of economy + luggage and compare to first class. For flights over 3 hours, if it's ~200-250 more I just go ahead and upgrade. But, I can afford it, save 50% of my income, etc.

So, if this is worth it for you, definitely go ahead and spend the money if you think it will help.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »
Don't wait until right before flying to get the Dramamine in.
Take a regular Dramamine the night before, then take a Dramamine Less Drowsy 3 hours before.
That's my regemine for sea-sickness and it's never failed me.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »
it shouldn't cost as much as first class just to pick your seats at all! maybe look into another airline if it's that bad. i'm a person who needs to be able to see out the window to keep myself calm while flying but it's usually only an extra $40 or so to pick a seat. there are some airlines i won't fly anymore because they make choosing your seats so complicated/expensive, though. hope you have other options here! also: meditation and dramamine.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
I've heard really good things about the Scopolamine patches for motion sickness but haven't tried them yet since you have to go through a doctor.

Interestingly, I get pretty bad motion sickness (small planes, sailboats, scuba diving, looking at a phone/book in a moving car) but have never had an issue on a commercial plane.

I'm not claustrophobic but I prefer the aisle to the window because it feels less cramped and I can stand up whenever I feel like it.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »
Over the wing is the most stable area on a plane. Far forward & far back are the least stable. First class is far forward.
Avoid the afternoon; it may be bumpy.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »
I hate flying and took Xanax last time (no actual motion sickness, just extreme anxiety/panic that lead to nausea). It was $1.26 for I think 10 or 12 through insurance, much cheaper than paying for first class and still freaking out (as I would). For the motion, Dramamine or Bonine would be my recommendation. My severely motion-sick child did better with Bonine than Dramamine although both worked better than nothing. Also, from my experience, you feel the motion less in the middle line of the plane, and being on an aisle I always feel less trapped than being next to the window. Good luck with your flight.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »
From BWI?  Fly Southwest and pay $20 for EarlyBird -- no checked baggage fees and with EarlyBird, you will definitely be able to find an open window seat in the middle of the plane.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
From BWI?  Fly Southwest and pay $20 for EarlyBird -- no checked baggage fees and with EarlyBird, you will definitely be able to find an open window seat in the middle of the plane.

+1

I'm having trouble figuring out how that flight could cost so much and how checking a bag and selecting a seat could cost that much more.

SW for life, yo!