Author Topic: Specific Shoe Advice: Bunion / hallux and Rigid Sole Shoes  (Read 1752 times)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Specific Shoe Advice: Bunion / hallux and Rigid Sole Shoes
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:59:53 AM »
So I saw a thread talking more generally about shoes, but I have a challenge. My right foot has hallux limitus, and my left has progressed to hallux rigidus. (If you're familiar with a bunion, it's close enough for the sake of this advice request.)

My shoe size is, roughly speaking, US 12.5 EE (or EEEE). My only pair of GOOD shoes are Brooks Addiction walking shoes (12.5 EE), and I have custom orthotic insoles which are wider than the Brooks shoes, but I squeeze them in.

I'd really like some outdoor shoes for winter, chores, etc. and I was considering the Vasque Talus Trek Ultradry Hiking Boot. But it's $112 and I'd probably have to gamble on the 13W size. And I can't really confirm if they are solid "rigid sole" shoes or just half decent. If I can't find anything else, I'll probably gamble on them, and if they totally don't work, hopefully I can just return them.

Does anyone have experience with this, and specific shoes they recommend?

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
Re: Specific Shoe Advice: Bunion / hallux and Rigid Sole Shoes
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 01:30:58 PM »
I'd recommend going to a shoe store and trying on different brands. You could then purchase online if it's cheaper.

I have bunions and I can't buy shoes online unless I've bought them before and know how they fit. I just bought a new pair of winter boots in store, and I could tell by holding 2 pairs up that one brand had a default wider foot than the other brand (Spring Step, in case you're interested), even though they weren't a wide size. The store was also having a sale, so they were cheaper than if I bought online.

I see you're in SE PA. I was at the Natural Shoe Store in University City in Philly. It's a small family-owned store; I've been buying shoes there for years, although I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with extra wide width shoes.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
I'd recommend going to a shoe store and trying on different brands. You could then purchase online if it's cheaper.

I have bunions and I can't buy shoes online unless I've bought them before and know how they fit. I just bought a new pair of winter boots in store, and I could tell by holding 2 pairs up that one brand had a default wider foot than the other brand (Spring Step, in case you're interested), even though they weren't a wide size. The store was also having a sale, so they were cheaper than if I bought online.

I see you're in SE PA. I was at the Natural Shoe Store in University City in Philly. It's a small family-owned store; I've been buying shoes there for years, although I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with extra wide width shoes.
Yeah, in-store selection of Wide shoe sizes is often pretty limited. I've actually had better luck shopping online for shoes (w/ free returns), since at least they stock shoes that are likely to fit (my shoe size is the same as the OP's).

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
I wear men's 9.5 wide shoes because women's shoes just don't fit me anymore :-/ Talk about hard to fit sizing!

You can get rigid insoles for your shoes if you're having trouble finding anything rigid enough. They come in carbon fiber or metal. My foot doctor recommended I try them. I had some but didn't have good luck with them (my foot would slide in the heel constantly). Could be worth a shot, maybe you'd have better luck than me. They can also make custom orthotics that are rigid, but that is an expensive option.

Hoka One One have some good options for people with HR/HL and they sell hiking/outdoor type shoes - not sure if they come in mens' wide, though. Some of their shoes do, some don't.

If you're on FB there's a pretty good group for HR (Hallux Rigidus Support Group) that has a lot of shoe talk. You could ask there. But be prepared for post-op foot photos :-)

latecomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »
I have similar foot problems. My best shoes are Altra Lone Peaks, trail shoes that have a very wide toe box but not a very wide heel.

I also can wear Keen Venice H2 sandals.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!