Author Topic: Special Dog Food for Regular Dogs  (Read 2415 times)

Scotland2016

• Stubble
Special Dog Food for Regular Dogs
« on: July 25, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »
A while back, Amazon accidentally delivered a 30 lb bag of bulldog dog food to our house. I contacted them, and there was no way to return it. We tried to give it away to a friend who had a baby bulldog, but sadly his puppy died. I posted it on Facebook Marketplace, but no takers. I stopped my car to ask a random man walking a bulldog if he wanted it, but he didn't. As far as I can tell, there is no bulldog rescue in our area.

So now I'm wondering, can I feed this food to our regular, mixed breed dogs? I assume it won't hurt them (beyond the possible indigestion issues from switching food) and 30 lbs would last us about 6 weeks. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Special Dog Food for Regular Dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
Considering tha tour dog considers half-rotten carrots from a compost heap a delicious snack, I would be surprised if the wrong colour of dog on the bag would bother her at all.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »
Go for it. I'm assuming it's Royal Canin, since they're the primary breed-specific food manufacturer? That's a good quality food and won't hurt your dogs. Transition gradually to the new food (over a period of about a week) and then gradually back to their regular food when you finish.

Scotland2016

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »
These dogs also enjoy half-rotten carrots, so good point.

Yes, Royal Canin. Thank you for the advice! We'll start them on it tomorrow. I'm glad it won't go to waste.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
In future, you can donate unneeded food to food banks, animal shelters, etc. Sometimes you really can't use it for some reason (like the cat is picky and refuses to eat it).

Zero Degrees

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 07:35:04 PM »
Recently my sweet dog became very ill and I had a very high quality specialty dog food I tried to donate to a shelter because she couldn't keep it down.  In my area they would not take it because it was in a bin and not in the original bag. Being open was not an issue.  She then passed away and I was left with a big bag of even more expensive prescription dog food.

I finally found friends with dogs who had tummies of steel to take them.  I know my dog could never eat just any food.  So as a fur mommy who has dealt with major tummy troubles with her pup, I would recommend you mix it in gradually with their current food. You never know when tummy issues could strike.